Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Make Up Days For Snow Days
MCC 11:35 AM 01-30-2014
Is any considering this?

We have had 5 or 6 snow days this year, and the school district is using Presidents Day as a make up. This is b/c the kids have to have 990 hours or whatever.

I have had two parents ask me if I am planning on being open that day, since the school is and I "follow" their schedule. I don't actually follow their schedule, I don't take teacher work days, or close early on Mondays (the county schools close at 1:30 on Mondays). So I don't really follow their schedule, I simply take their advice for weather closings.

However, the two parents that asked me are my best parents, they are always more than happy to hear advice, I've never had any payment issues, or any issues really. I do understand that if their office is closed, they will have to take another personal day. I feel like I could easily do them this favor, but I wouldn't be able to do it for everyone, b/c I would need an assistant here, and she has something planned.

I also have it written into my contract that any Holiday that they need care for is an extra $100, no matter how many hours.

I'm torn, b/c to them they probably think I've used these snow days as "time off", but it's not like I was on vacation.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
rosieteddy 11:50 AM 01-30-2014
I say do not open.You as you stated do not take teacher days off ect .I explain it to my parents that the school dept closes schools because it is dangerous to be on the roads .The safety of the children is our main concern. You can bet that if you open they will come wether or not their office is open.They will happily drop their kids and go to lunch home or just goof off. I would explain the policy and if pushed state that your assistant is not available.You cn't offer it to some and not all. If you really wanted to open I would charge your additional 100.00 fee and see how many takers you get. It could be on first come first served .Cut of enrollment at the legal limit for you.Parents will try to get what they can. Send your notice ASAP. Good luck
butterfly 11:54 AM 01-30-2014
I guess I would work it. If you're working a similar schedule as the school, the school is in session and the teachers have to work. I would make myself available that day. I wouldn't charge the extra $100 either. It would suck loosing a day off, but if you work a similar schedule as the school - i think it's a fair thing to do.
hope 12:24 PM 01-30-2014
I take all federal holidays with pay. Unfortunately we had 3 snow days so far and winter is not over yet. The schools are now open on presidents day due to all of the snow days. That is my one day off all month. I am going to stay open though bc all in all my parents have been pretty good. The one family that comes regardless of disaster or inconvenience to me will hear All about the "special" they are getting from me for this day. I will remind them of it every day all month long. Lol!
snbauser 12:29 PM 01-30-2014
I think it would depend on why they needed care. If they are teachers/school employees and are now going to have to work then I would probably open for them. For the others I would not. Here we don't get President's Day as a holiday. It was scheduled to be a teacher workday so I was already open. I follow the school schedule but I am open on teacher workdays because all of my clients are school employee. Now it is a make up day and the kids will go to school as well so it doesn't matter to me.
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 01-30-2014
Is President Day a day you are normally closed?

If so, then I would tell the parents sorry but you aren't required to have xx amount of days like the school are and therefore aren't required to have "make up" days.

I understand that they may need to work but the way I see it is there is pros and cons to ANY job/profession and we can't go around expecting everyone to make up for those times in which we get the short end of the stick...kwim?

It was super icy and snowy the other day and the local DHS office closed so I wasn't able to do some business there that I had planned on doing but I don't expect them to do a make up day and open on Saturday so I can do what I need to.

The weather is NOT something any of us can control.

If your polices state you close when school does due to bad travel conditions, then you close.

If the school makes up those closures...it's because they have a quota of days they MUST meet. You don't.

Sometimes life happens and it can't always be fair, equal and perfect. Sometimes it just is what it is.

If you are normally open on Presidents Day, then be open.

If you are normally closed on Presidents Day, then be closed.

It's that simple.
TwinKristi 12:42 PM 01-30-2014
Yeah I can see where that's a tough one but I would always revert back to the contract. If you said you close on Presidents Day than you close. Like everyone has pointed out, the school BY LAW has to make up those hours of school and you don't. But if you're already open it wouldn't count as a make up day so I'm assuming you're closed per your contract. Tell them you already made plans (maybe that's to wear PJs all day, none of their business!) and can't do that unfortunately. And I would revise your contract to address adverse weather conditions in the future. Of course the next 5 yrs will probably never have this much snow but still... Cover yourself to avoid these anticipations from parents.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 01-30-2014
You cant control the weather conditions so I wouldn't make it your problem. Explain that you only follow the school's weather closing recommendations and like BC says, that you aren't required to be open a certain number of days/hours.
Country Kids 01:00 PM 01-30-2014
Heres what I'm doing-I was scheduled to be closed by we now have a make-up day. I have 3 parents that are teachers so they have to work.

I'm going to be open but now I will schedule an extra day off in the summer-either a three day weekend or add it to my vacation, use it at school registration, who knows. I will let them know this newsletter that will be going out this weekend.
TwinKristi 01:16 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Heres what I'm doing-I was scheduled to be closed by we now have a make-up day. I have 3 parents that are teachers so they have to work.

I'm going to be open but now I will schedule an extra day off in the summer-either a three day weekend or add it to my vacation, use it at school registration, who knows. I will let them know this newsletter that will be going out this weekend.
I was thinking about something like this ^^ or even offer to be open on a Saturday during Spring and have a fun day, same hours and such but that's their "make up day" or offer a PNO at no charge one Friday night. Something you normally wouldn't do. If you just bend your contact rules this time, then there will be a next time and next time. Not to mention they'll want you to do this for every make up day now. Just doesn't seem like something you would want to take on. By having a give & take (say yes but take a day later or say no and offer one specific day) it shows you won't just break your contract without some type of "penalty"...
spinnymarie 01:41 PM 01-30-2014
For me, right now I have only teachers' kids - so I had no kids here on the snow days, and I 'close' on all teacher holidays, including summer.
So, I will make up the missed days just like they will, either over summer (we have 5 built in snow days here, so we haven't hit that just yet), or whenever.
In this case, if they schedule a school day on what used to be a holiday, I will be open, because I do literally follow the school calendar.
I assume that you would also take these kids a few days into summer to make up snow days, so I would vote for opening.
Unless they stay all summer even though their parents are off, and in that case, no way.
MCC 08:10 AM 01-31-2014
Thank you all for the replies. I just got around to reading through, CRAZY week!

I am scheduled to be closed that day, so I feel like I should stick to my policy, but it also doesn't really bother me to open.

I'm just worried that if everyone wants to come, I have to hire a sub, or turn 2 people away, and potentially have to credit them the day.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
Thank you all for the replies. I just got around to reading through, CRAZY week!

I am scheduled to be closed that day, so I feel like I should stick to my policy, but it also doesn't really bother me to open.

I'm just worried that if everyone wants to come, I have to hire a sub, or turn 2 people away, and potentially have to credit them the day.
now. What about next year when it could bother you to be open? How do you explain to parents that you aren't going to do xx then when you did it now? What makes this year different than future years?

See where I am going with this?

Unless you are really good at helping your parents understand "one time" happenings, prepare for "but why can't you? it didn't bother you before to do xxx" responses to every situation they can come up with.....

Somewhere, someone always has a reason as to why their situation is the exception to the rule.
e.j. 12:09 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
I would be worried about this, too. You know what they say...."No good deed goes unpunished". The weather isn't under your control. I would explain what you've stated here: that you do not follow the school's schedule per se. You do close when they do for a snow day but that's based on safety concerns vs. the school's schedule. If you really don't mind opening, I'd refer them to your contract and your policy on holiday child care. My guess is, they'll be able to find a friend or relative to watch their child for that day or they'll use some of their paid leave time.
Tags:make up days, paid days off, paid holidays, snow day
Reply Up