Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Problem
joy 01:29 PM 02-23-2011
I have worked in the field of early childhood for 25 years. I have experience teaching, directing, did graduate work, and I am so troubled with the centers and the low standards that they have. It is sad, low pay, teachers with no education, doesn't anyone look at NAEYC and learn what the field is all about?
I cannot even go into a center without seeing all that is wrong, so many things that should not be happening, even centers with stars, it's discouraging.

Some of the issues listed on the forum are rather indicative that people in this field need to get more educated! Sorry, I do not mean to offend anyone. Please do not take what I say to be insulting, but perhaps, enlightening?
joy 01:35 PM 02-23-2011
]I have worked in the field of early childhood for 25 years. I have experience teaching, directing, did graduate work, and I am so troubled with the centers and the low standards that they have. It is sad, low pay, teachers with no education, doesn't anyone look at NAEYC and learn what the field is all about?
I cannot even go into a center without seeing all that is wrong, so many things that should not be happening, even centers with stars, it's discouraging.

Some of the issues listed on the forum are rather indicative that people in this field need to get more educated! Sorry, I do not mean to offend anyone. Please do not take what I say to be insulting, but perhaps, enlightening?[/quote]
Crystal 01:51 PM 02-23-2011
Joy, I totally get what you are saying.

I agree that more providers need to educate themselves and provide higher quality programs and services to children and families. (not talking about anyone here, just in general)

In addition to being an (educated) provider, I also conduct Environmental Rating Scale assessments for our Resource and Referral Agency. There have been MANY assessments that have left me feeling VERY discouraged with where this field is headed. And ya know what....it's usually the programs with the MOST EXPERIENCED providers that have the lowest quality. Seemingly they are the ones who are more likely to be happy with the "status quo" and not further educate themselves and remain current in the field of ECE.

Sad, huh?
nannyde 05:22 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by joy:
Some of the issues listed on the forum are rather indicative that people in this field need to get more educated!
What issues are you reffering to? Could you be more specific?
Unregistered 05:55 PM 02-23-2011
Bottom line is....this is a career that comes with no benefits, low pay for many of us, for those who do childcare in their home, the wear and tear on their homes, etc. A person is either good with children or they are not, it doesn't make a provider "a better provider" just because they have some kind of degree to show. Seriously, if I was to go thru 2 or 4 years of college, the expense of it, the time involved, the hard work.....I certainly am not going to work for $1.75 per hour, and that is what our rates end up being where I live for home daycare (yes, I know that most providers care for 3-6 children, still not a lot after you take out the exenses)........complete with no benefits, no vacation, no insurance, etc. Everyone always seems to want to blame the providers out here. What about the parents themselves......the ones that take their kids to daycare even when they are home for the day, the parents that take their kids to daycare sick, the parents that say "I need my me time", gees I could go on and on. When the various degrees of government got so involved with daycare providers, telling us how we should and shouldn't run our business, I feel that is where many of the problems started. There was a day where daycare was a fun, lovng, caring environment where a parent could take their child while they went to work.....No, we are struggling trying to make sure we disposed of that poopy diaper in the appropriate way, trying to make ends meet knowing we have to put that serving of green beans on the plate only to throw it out later because the child never eats them, etc. We are no longer allowed to discipline children, let along hug them because we may "do it wrong". The whole system is warped.....and I doubt that a piece of paper will change any of these things. Nope, if I am going to go get a degree, it most defnately won't be in childcare, it will be a degree where I can get vacation time, sick pay, health insurance, holiday pay, disability insurance, retirement.....etc. I love working with children and I am darn good at what I do, but in the end it is what it is.....a low paying, no benefit, thankless job for many of us. Sad that it is that way for so many, but a fact of life. At least at the end of the day, I know that I did make a positive difference in the children's lives.
nikia 07:15 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What issues are you reffering to? Could you be more specific?
Yes I was going to ask the same thing.

I think there is a difference between being inexperienced and uneducated. I am inexperienced in dealing with disrespectful parents and having a backbone running my own business, but I am not uneducated. I have taken classes in early education and am currently in nursing school. I guess I would just like to know what questions or issues we bring up that make us uneducated? Are you refering to centers that are supposed to be preschool based or home daycares that do not offer a preschool curriculum? I have daycare parents that have degrees and I will tell you that I wouldnt trust them with my children seeing as how they let their kids run them over, as discussed in the thread old school provider. Just my opinion
3kidzmama 07:32 PM 02-23-2011
I personally have a dual bachelor's degree in early childhood education and early childhood special education... and I honestly don't think this makes me one bit more qualified to provide care to children than someone who has no degree and has done it for many years.... or has a degree in a different field and is a mother of her own children... We all gain experience in different ways and holding a fancy piece of paper doesn't make anyone a fantastic childcare provider.

The fantastic childcare providers are those who truly love what they do, and they truly love the children they are caring for each day.
Cat Herder 03:36 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Bottom line is....this is a career that comes with no benefits, low pay for many of us, for those who do childcare in their home, the wear and tear on their homes, etc.

A person is either good with children or they are not, it doesn't make a provider "a better provider" just because they have some kind of degree to show.

Seriously, if I was to go thru 2 or 4 years of college, the expense of it, the time involved, the hard work.....I certainly am not going to work for $1.75 per hour, and that is what our rates end up being where I live for home daycare (yes, I know that most providers care for 3-6 children, still not a lot after you take out the exenses)........complete with no benefits, no vacation, no insurance, etc.

Everyone always seems to want to blame the providers out here. What about the parents themselves......the ones that take their kids to daycare even when they are home for the day, the parents that take their kids to daycare sick, the parents that say "I need my me time", gees I could go on and on.

When the various degrees of government got so involved with daycare providers, telling us how we should and shouldn't run our business, I feel that is where many of the problems started.

There was a day where daycare was a fun, lovng, caring environment where a parent could take their child while they went to work.....No, we are struggling trying to make sure we disposed of that poopy diaper in the appropriate way, trying to make ends meet knowing we have to put that serving of green beans on the plate only to throw it out later because the child never eats them, etc.

We are no longer allowed to discipline children, let along hug them because we may "do it wrong". The whole system is warped.....and I doubt that a piece of paper will change any of these things.

Nope, if I am going to go get a degree, it most defnately won't be in childcare, it will be a degree where I can get vacation time, sick pay, health insurance, holiday pay, disability insurance, retirement.....etc.

I love working with children and I am darn good at what I do, but in the end it is what it is.....a low paying, no benefit, thankless job for many of us.

Sad that it is that way for so many, but a fact of life. At least at the end of the day, I know that I did make a positive difference in the children's lives.
Awesome post, Unregistered.. I was struggling to read it, so I thought I'd help a few other folks....
Attached: sneetches.jpg (37.2 KB) 
jessrlee 04:08 AM 02-24-2011
No degree here, I don't want one! I make it very clear that I "babysit" and I always have a full program. Our area gets free preschool for 3's and 4's. My parents want a place their kids get to play and be hugged. But for the record, you are reading posts from providers trying to solve problems. I am glad I have a place to ask questions, and get feedback. Where else can you get input into naptime, contracts, toys, and equiptment? Run the best program you can, and do it your way because it is YOUR business, and let everyone else do the same.
lil angels 04:32 AM 02-24-2011
LOVE LOVE the post from unregistered. Couldn't have said it better myself
nannyde 04:42 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Joy, I totally get what you are saying.

I agree that more providers need to educate themselves and provide higher quality programs and services to children and families. (not talking about anyone here, just in general)

In addition to being an (educated) provider, I also conduct Environmental Rating Scale assessments for our Resource and Referral Agency. There have been MANY assessments that have left me feeling VERY discouraged with where this field is headed. And ya know what....it's usually the programs with the MOST EXPERIENCED providers that have the lowest quality. Seemingly they are the ones who are more likely to be happy with the "status quo" and not further educate themselves and remain current in the field of ECE.

Sad, huh?
I think you are running into this because there isn't a funded market for it. I'll bet you see it more in experienced providers because they KNOW from experience that running a program that would score high on the scale would not be funded accordingly for the higher and harder level work. The younger less experienced providers may believe that it can be funded and they will be paid accordingly. As time goes on they may realize that it really isn't. By the time they get to highly experienced they KNOW it comes down to more and harder work with "care" pay.

That's my guess. I wouldn't even DREAM of having an evaluation like that. I would fail with a big fat F-.
MommyMuffin 04:43 AM 02-24-2011
Just wanted to add that although they are not college degrees most childcare providers take classes through their community to better their program. I also read a lot of books about childcare and children.

Although I am not obviously as educated in the art of childcare as Joy or Crystal, I can say I have valuable things to offer families and children in my care. And hey everyone has to start somewhere.

I am sure there are great centers out there but the ones where I live I would never leave my child there.
SandeeAR 08:29 AM 02-24-2011
Ok, I waited a day to post, b/c I figure I'm probably taking this OP wrong, but this is just my humble opinion............

No college degree here. My choice. I got out of school and did what I had wanted to for years. I became a stay at home MOM! My degree is in Motherhood! I take all I learned, both good and bad in raising my 29 and 27 y/o DD's and apply that today. I take the years of helping in church childcare, Sunday School, VBS, Wednesday night programs, Helping as a regular Volunteer at school......I use this as my experience.

I must have been doing something right (without that degree), b/c my house is where all the kids hung out. During the junior and high school years, I had 15-30 kids at my house every Friday night.

I think sometimes the ppl with the "degrees" need to experience a little more of the real world and less of the "degree" world.
Angelwings36 08:41 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Ok, I waited a day to post, b/c I figure I'm probably taking this OP wrong, but this is just my humble opinion............

No college degree here. My choice. I got out of school and did what I had wanted to for years. I became a stay at home MOM! My degree is in Motherhood! I take all I learned, both good and bad in raising my 29 and 27 y/o DD's and apply that today. I take the years of helping in church childcare, Sunday School, VBS, Wednesday night programs, Helping as a regular Volunteer at school......I use this as my experience.

I must have been doing something right (without that degree), b/c my house is where all the kids hung out. During the junior and high school years, I had 15-30 kids at my house every Friday night.

I think sometimes the ppl with the "degrees" need to experience a little more of the real world and less of the "degree" world.
I agree with you 100% SandeeAR. When I am taking in interviews for potential clients I often get asked what my education back ground in childcare is, they get a solid straight answer...I AM A MOTHER!
nannyde 08:52 AM 02-24-2011

You should apply for an honorary Doctorate in Momology.
Cat Herder 09:03 AM 02-24-2011
Does that come with a P.O.O.P. 5 Heart Rating????
Little People 09:16 AM 02-24-2011

I agree with you 500% Here is a little story:

I was a foster Mom for 3 years and the social worker (no kids of her own) once told the Mom of one of my foster kids, to NEVER spank her child again, and the Mom ask her why and the social worker said "I have been to school and read so many books and was taught you Never spank a child".

So we were in the waiting room and this same social worker came in with another 4 years old boy and he was screaming, kicking, spitting, and pulling the social workers hair... I was setting there with my foster girl and the Mother. The Mother got up and ask the social worker "where in your books does it tell you how to handle that child". She also said "I am a mother and you are not and NO book or school is ever going to teach you how to handle a child, it may help but there is nothing like hands on experience"!! She told her also there is NO manual for a child because no two children are alike.

She told the social worker that boy needs his rear end wopped

So my point is...someone can have 10 years of school and book training, but let me tell you ....There is no two children alike and experience is way different than reading a book.
nannyde 09:22 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Does that come with a P.O.O.P. 5 Heart Rating????
YES

I will be bestowing them at a low introductory price of 287 dollars U.S.
Cat Herder 09:28 AM 02-24-2011
YES

I will be bestowing them at a low introductory price of 287 dollars U.S.
"Thank you...Thank You....Thank you...."; Sylvester McMonkey Mcbean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMolzESn4oI
daycare 10:14 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Awesome post, Unregistered.. I was struggling to read it, so I thought I'd help a few other folks....
lmao you crack me up
SandeeAR 10:19 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I agree with you 100% SandeeAR. When I am taking in interviews for potential clients I often get asked what my education back ground in childcare is, they get a solid straight answer...I AM A MOTHER!
Thanks Ladies! I always took my occupation as a MOM, VERY seriously!

Little People...Sorry didn't mean to leave you out of the quote. I was just rereading the thread and realized I did. Thanks for th 500% back up!
daycare 10:28 AM 02-24-2011
I saw this right after it was posted and was not sure what to say. lol

all I gotta say was it took some reall balls to post this here on this form...

and might I say rather bold............
MyAngels 10:32 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

Me too. I used my better judgment and deleted my initial thoughts before I posted them .

I figured I should cut the OP some slack once I realized, after reading her other thread, that she'd recently either been let go from or quit a center that she felt had some serious problems.
nannyde 10:33 AM 02-24-2011

Don't just tell us we suck. Show us how we suck.

If you have "worked in the field of early childhood for 25 years and have experience teaching, directing, did graduate work" then put that edjuamacation to work and school us fools.

I shall be your student.

Teach ;-)
daycare 10:35 AM 02-24-2011
OMG you have me on the floor.........after reading this I just cant stop laughing...........
SandeeAR 11:08 AM 02-24-2011

LOL That was my first thought too. That is why I waited to post, until I could do it in a better frame of mind.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that took it that way!

Waiting on the lessons OP!
Unregistered 11:10 AM 02-24-2011
The OP's post was useless. If the post was intended to be useful, it didn't meet it's intention. Like Nan said, don't just tell us that we suck, tell us HOW we suck. I would also like to point out that when someone takes the time to point out problems, then it would be much more helpful to offer up solutions as well.

OP, your post was the kind of post that makes providers feel inadequate if they are just beginning in this field. It was harsher than it needed to be and it defeated the purpose of forums like this to even exist. The providers who are here are asking the questions and sharing their feelings because they want to do their jobs to the best of their ability. It's good to see providers asking for advice and other providers offering suggestions or even just listening. Your post is the kind of post that can set providers back instead of being "enlightening".

If you want to point out issues, then you really need to offer up some solutions as well.
MommyMuffin 11:48 AM 02-24-2011
This whole thing (whatever computer people call it..a thread maybe) the whole thing is just so funny.

Also, since its almost dr.seuss b-day I love the picture..catherder I believe posted (btw catherder: someone else mentioned this a while back but I always read your name as catheter and it makes me laugh everytime...hope your not offended...must be all my nursing school studying I did).

I hope if anyone is having a rough day they read this "thing" and read all your ladies posts...what a hoot!!!
Cat Herder 12:39 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
This whole thing (whatever computer people call it..a thread maybe) the whole thing is just so funny.

Also, since its almost dr.seuss b-day I love the picture..catherder I believe posted (btw catherder: someone else mentioned this a while back but I always read your name as catheter and it makes me laugh everytime...hope your not offended...must be all my nursing school studying I did).

I hope if anyone is having a rough day they read this "thing" and read all your ladies posts...what a hoot!!!
I am a healthcare provider, as well... I toyed with "stool sample" and "undulating mass" but the double entendre was not as fittting....

No, not really....but it is funny....

I LOVE Dr. Suess....

I think the "Little Acorn" works, too..

"I'm a little acorn brown, lying on the cold, cold ground.... Everybody walks over me and that is why I'm cracked you see? I'm a nut, in a rut..."

Think that was written by a childcare provider????
Reply Up