Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working Out?
DaycareMom 02:35 PM 11-16-2011
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone has time to workout and if so what do they do?

I have kids here at 7 am until 5:30 pm, then I make dinner, eat dinner, clean up, give my kids baths, bedtime routine and they are usually in bed by 7:30-8 but after that I am exhausted. I can't imagine having to wake up any earlier and nap time I usually clean, fold laundry, do bills, etc.

How does anyone have time to workout? Or do they? lol
SimpleMom 02:40 PM 11-16-2011
My "workout" is with the kids! lol. I do lots of running, ball play, walks, etc. I tried the getting up early thing---my kiddos just got up earlier as well---so that's on hold After work---waaaaay to tired to even think of working out. The most I've done afterwards in regard to working out is looking at all the cool workout tape COVERS. Oh well. I'm interested to see if others get the time to do that
daycare 03:06 PM 11-16-2011
honestly you just have to do it...once you start, you will gain energy and will find it easier to do....the hard part is starting.

I decided that I wanted to take some time off after I came back from Las Vegas in August. So October rolls around and I have not stepped foot into my workout shoes and I need to get back at it.

The first two weeks were complete hell. But now they are super easy for me to get up out of bed and into the gym

I can't workout at night, because my energy level goes through the roof.... So I get up at 5:30 while the entire house is snoring and workout..

If you always find reasons not to go, you will never go. Hate to sound rude, but you just have to suck it up and get over the hump.

Trust me, you will feel sooooooo much better when you do. Daycare is a stressful job and this is the best way to let it all out....

I have been working out for years and years and it never gets easy. Especially when you take a break and then go back....I almost want to smack myself for taking a break from it, because i know how hard it will be to go back....
Country Kids 03:23 PM 11-16-2011
I would have to be at a gym at 4:00 in the morning if I was going to work out. By the time I got there, worked out, came back it would be time for me to be getting breakfast on the table-about 5:30. There litterally is no time in the morning for me.

What I've been doing the last two weeks is walking the dog after work. I walk with the daycare kids during the day. Once the last one is out the door my shoes go one, his leash goes on and out the door we go. We walk about 1/2 an hour right now the same route ever night. Starting the first of each month I'm going to change the route to something new for us. Can't have him getting bored-!

Its not much but it get me out of the house, gets his heart and mine going and breathing in the fresh, cold air is awesome. I'm actually thinking of getting him a reflective vest to wear! He's always been the family dog but now he's getting to be my buddy, funny how our walks have changed us.
small_steps 03:35 PM 11-16-2011
I've been trying to find time to. I have an eliptical, brand new (bought 6 months ago and have never used!). I keep saying I'm going to get up earlier and use it. I have been getting up earlier but have been finding other things to do in the morning when I get up (like cleaning or laundry). I would be happy if I could get 30 minutes in. But like daycare said...you just gotta suck it up and do it. So, my goal tomorrow is to suck it up and do it, at 5:30am
mom2many 03:52 PM 11-16-2011
I just started going to the gym again...I had taken several years off. Since my hubby is training to do the Alcatraz swim next year, he has gotten me motivated to get back into it and it actually feels really good!

It's just hard b/c I don't get off till 6pm and then head off to the gym for an hour workout. I'm doing my best to stick with it and hope to lose a few lbs and get back into shape!
beachgrl 04:41 PM 11-16-2011
I want to, I have a whole free month of zumba to use locally but I just havent had the time yet or feel like it after working all day..I just want to do dinner and relax but most of the time like tonight I have school work to do after, ugh.
Francine 04:50 PM 11-16-2011
I have an exercise bike in the livingroom, I love it! It is totally silent so if I manage to get everybody sleeping at one time (have a 3 month old non sleeper) I hop on the bike. I love to walk, in the summer I was walking about 4 miles 4-5 days per week. Now that it's dark when the kids leave walking is out of the question. My own girls are older so I have more time after work than some of you do.
AmyLeigh 04:54 PM 11-16-2011
I bought a gym membership as a gift to myself. When the trainer asked what was my main reason in wanting a membership, I told him stress management!!
I can't go in the mornings, cuz dh goes to work at 5 am. No way is that happening. Then I have dcks here til 7, then my kids baths, bedtime, and a couple of minutes to talk to dh before he falls asleep on the couch. Wednesday is his mid-week day off, and there are no dck's here past 6, so I need to suck it up and go on Wed/Sat/Sun. Just need to get off my booty to go!
dave4him 05:54 PM 11-16-2011
Two words, Zumba and Wii! Just kick your hubby out of the house first
SunflowerMama 07:08 PM 11-16-2011
I am open 7a-5p and usually workout once or twice a week before I open from 5:30a - 6:30a. Then I will go at least twice a week after I close...5:15-6ish. My husband helps with dinner on those nights and I'm home to eat with the family and do the bedtime routine with my kids.

I'm actually training for a half marathon next month so I always get a good long run in each weekend.
Texasjeepgirl 07:30 PM 11-16-2011
I love this question..
I've been working out for about 13 years...
When I started.. I was still married to first husband.. and.. well. unhappy,..
I got up every day at 4:45 a.m.. was at the gym in our small town by 5...
(I don't do cardio... hate it).. but.. I lift weights...
I'd had lower back pain for YEARS so I was trying to help alleviate that.. and.. it did.. the stronger your BODY IS.. THE STRONGER YOUR TORSO/CORE is.. the less back pain you will have.. so if your back hurts.. GET UP..!!! WORK OUT.. People 'think' that with back pain it will make it WORSE...but..after the initial soreness.. you get so energized.. it's the most wonderful thing.
When I divorced.. and began dating my NOW HUSBAND.. I continued to work out... but.. after awhile.. I confess. ... I got lazy...so .. my wonderful hubby bought me a weight machine... and.. money WELL SPENT... I am NOT one of those people that hangs clothes on it..
But.. I do take my spells where I don't see it as often..
My best work out of all time.....
The past 2 summers... We have a very large property... maybe an acre.. but city.. ..chain link fence around a portion of it..I LOVE MORNING GLORIES... I started out growing them several years ago.. and .. I just love them..
I planted them all over our property..
and.. I spend all summer 'hand' watering them.
When I say HAND WATER...
Let me describe this to you..
I have a large bucket.. 20 gallons or so..
I use the water hose to fill it.
Then.. I take 2 smaller mop buckets... 5 gallons each with rope handles..
I turn the water hose on in the big bucket..
and.. I use the smaller buckets.. I fill each one with 3 1/2 gallons of water.. dip it in the big bucket to fill it..
One bucket.. then the other..
then.. I carry those two buckets all over the property.. to dump the water on to my morning glories..
Let me explain this: 1 gallon of water is just over 8 lbs... so.. approximately 3 1/2 gallons of water.. nearly 30 lbs of water.. EACH BUCKET...
so.. 60 lbs of water.. and.. I carry it all over this large property..
Now the key is.. I have to move pretty fast...because the large bucket will OVER FLOW if I don't get there.. dump my water.. and get back to refill the smaller buckets...
Took 23 trips... EVERY SINGLE MORNING... for the entire summer..
took 45 minutes.. every day..
so.. I'd set my alarm for 4:45.. I'd be hauling water by 5 a.m... finish at almost 6 a.m...shower.. hair.. makeup.. clean out the guinea pig penthouse .. (has to be fresh for daycare every day)...then... vacuum.. and.. unlock the chain link fence gate by opening time of 7 a.m....
You SHOULD SEE MY ARMS AND UPPER BODY.. I look like a darn weight lifter..
lol.. I'm struggling with a mix of relief...that the 110 and 114 degree summer weather is OVER...and a huge feeling of dissappointment that I no longer have water to haul every day.. But.. it won't be long till SPRING....and.. right now I've been harvesting all the seeds from this summers flowers.. so.. there will be even MORE to water next year.... I told hubby.. next year.. I might need a few soaker hoses..

SuzanneL70 07:52 PM 11-16-2011
I have a treadmill, dumbbells, a bench, gymboss timer, exercise bands and a stability ball. When the daycare kids go home, I work out for about 30 to 45 min. I get workout programs online and I don't go to the gym anymore. I love the ease and convenience of working out at home. The commute to get to the gym during rush hour traffic would waste AT LEAST an hour of my time. I usually fix something for dinner during nap time (or put something in the crock pot). Then I heat it up right before or after my workout and dinner is ready by the time I'm done. I do this 3 or 4 times a week depending on what we have going on after 5- like meetings, sports, after-school activities. But generally, I can do 3x easily.
In the summer a jog around the neighborhood for 30 min. a few times a week will make a big difference in how you look and feel.
There's always a way to fit exercise into your day. So many people think you need to spend more than hour in the gym every day to get fit but that can't be further from the truth.
mommiesherie 07:54 PM 11-16-2011
Until about a year ago I ran 5 miles a night. I loooved it. Made me feel so good and I was lean and fit. I went through a lot of personal issues and stopped. I gained 20 pounds!!!!! I now have a gym membership. Here is what I do. I just have 4 dck. (Thank goodness lol) 2 leave at 5 and 2 at 6. As soon as the the 2 leave at 5 I have dinner going. The 2 that leave at 6 are easy easy and play on carpet in living room or something while I cook. Then I feed my daughter and a lot of the times the 2 kids also. I sometimes even send plate home with the mom for her dinner. As soon as they leave I am out the door. My daughter loves the kid center there. I either take kick boxing or yoga or just work out in gym. My older daughter meet me there a lot and my hubby also. Then after that we pick up the 6 year old and take her to swim. She get exercise and I get a little more. We shower there and come home. Think I'm gonna start taking her pj's there to put on. Then I get home give daughter snack clean up kitchen and do whatever else I need to and its off to bed. My first 2 kids get here at 530 am. I do my chores at nap time. My kids take a good 2 to 3 hour nap. So cleaning and laundry gets done then. I am trying to get the 20 pounds off that I have put on!! I like being about 118 pounds and I plan to get back there. I don't like being heavier than that. I wanna be lean and fit. Eating healthy again makes me feel great also!! My entire family is on board this time and we love it!!! Get a routine going. Make it a priority and don't give up!!!
SuzanneL70 07:55 PM 11-16-2011
Oh, and that would work well for morning workouts too. I wish I could do that but I'm bad about hitting the snooze button. I need my sleep!!
mommiesherie 09:01 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by SuzanneL70:
Oh, and that would work well for morning workouts too. I wish I could do that but I'm bad about hitting the snooze button. I need my sleep!!
I would never do it if I had to do it mornings. I hit snooze as long as possible! Oh I hate mornings sooo bad. I think they should out law anything before 10 am
mommiesherie 09:13 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Two words, Zumba and Wii! Just kick your hubby out of the house first

I soooo wanna try a zumba class. I'm just afraid that I'm way too uncoordinated to do it and I will look like an idiot I mean I know that feeling well but so don't wanna do that in front of a big class. I may get the nerve up eventually though lol
dave4him 09:48 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
I soooo wanna try a zumba class. I'm just afraid that I'm way too uncoordinated to do it and I will look like an idiot I mean I know that feeling well but so don't wanna do that in front of a big class. I may get the nerve up eventually though lol
My wife describes it as just the kind of place where all of the ladies had the same fear before their first class. You should try it!
greenhouse 05:06 AM 11-17-2011
I've gained 7 pounds since opening my daycare! I know I need to work out in the evenings, but I'm so wiped.
hoopinglady 06:46 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I love this question..
I've been working out for about 13 years...
When I started.. I was still married to first husband.. and.. well. unhappy,..
I got up every day at 4:45 a.m.. was at the gym in our small town by 5...
(I don't do cardio... hate it).. but.. I lift weights...
I'd had lower back pain for YEARS so I was trying to help alleviate that.. and.. it did.. the stronger your BODY IS.. THE STRONGER YOUR TORSO/CORE is.. the less back pain you will have.. so if your back hurts.. GET UP..!!! WORK OUT.. People 'think' that with back pain it will make it WORSE...but..after the initial soreness.. you get so energized.. it's the most wonderful thing.
When I divorced.. and began dating my NOW HUSBAND.. I continued to work out... but.. after awhile.. I confess. ... I got lazy...so .. my wonderful hubby bought me a weight machine... and.. money WELL SPENT... I am NOT one of those people that hangs clothes on it..
But.. I do take my spells where I don't see it as often..
My best work out of all time.....
The past 2 summers... We have a very large property... maybe an acre.. but city.. ..chain link fence around a portion of it..I LOVE MORNING GLORIES... I started out growing them several years ago.. and .. I just love them..
I planted them all over our property..
and.. I spend all summer 'hand' watering them.
When I say HAND WATER...
Let me describe this to you..
I have a large bucket.. 20 gallons or so..
I use the water hose to fill it.
Then.. I take 2 smaller mop buckets... 5 gallons each with rope handles..
I turn the water hose on in the big bucket..
and.. I use the smaller buckets.. I fill each one with 3 1/2 gallons of water.. dip it in the big bucket to fill it..
One bucket.. then the other..
then.. I carry those two buckets all over the property.. to dump the water on to my morning glories..
Let me explain this: 1 gallon of water is just over 8 lbs... so.. approximately 3 1/2 gallons of water.. nearly 30 lbs of water.. EACH BUCKET...
so.. 60 lbs of water.. and.. I carry it all over this large property..
Now the key is.. I have to move pretty fast...because the large bucket will OVER FLOW if I don't get there.. dump my water.. and get back to refill the smaller buckets...
Took 23 trips... EVERY SINGLE MORNING... for the entire summer..
took 45 minutes.. every day..
so.. I'd set my alarm for 4:45.. I'd be hauling water by 5 a.m... finish at almost 6 a.m...shower.. hair.. makeup.. clean out the guinea pig penthouse .. (has to be fresh for daycare every day)...then... vacuum.. and.. unlock the chain link fence gate by opening time of 7 a.m....
You SHOULD SEE MY ARMS AND UPPER BODY.. I look like a darn weight lifter..
lol.. I'm struggling with a mix of relief...that the 110 and 114 degree summer weather is OVER...and a huge feeling of dissappointment that I no longer have water to haul every day.. But.. it won't be long till SPRING....and.. right now I've been harvesting all the seeds from this summers flowers.. so.. there will be even MORE to water next year.... I told hubby.. next year.. I might need a few soaker hoses..

This is beautiful and always my advice. Find something that you love and it won't be so dreadful.

I hula hoop/hoop dance...no, I have no shame. Yes, my neighbors think I'm odd. It's fun, feels good and I push myself physically because I don't want to stop playing.

Still, I need to do push ups or something because I have this stubborn belly that won't go away.

p.s. I planted wisteria along my porch last year and really hope they take off!
lucky 06:50 AM 11-17-2011
Everyone else will be paying attention to the instructor so just keep moving and you will fit right in. I would highly recommend it, it's a super fun way to work out. I go 3-4 nights a week
TBird 06:54 AM 11-17-2011
When I'm not hitting 'snooze', I hit the gym at 5AM.
  • 10 Minute Warmup on Treadmill
  • 1 Hour Burning Sugar & Toning Muscle on Weights (Either upper body or lower)
  • 1/2 Hour Cardio on Elliptical

I try to be out of there and back home by 6:45 so I can help kids get ready for school and greet my DCKs by the first arrivals (between 7:45 & 8:30).

I mostly hit 'snooze' though...
mommiesherie 06:55 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by lucky:
Everyone else will be paying attention to the instructor so just keep moving and you will fit right in. I would highly recommend it, it's a super fun way to work out. I go 3-4 nights a week
Ok I'm gonna give it a try. I'm convinced now. This white girl can't dance though. Haha. I will go to class monday night and give it a try. it does sound fun
mommiesherie 07:02 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I've gained 7 pounds since opening my daycare! I know I need to work out in the evenings, but I'm so wiped.
If you can just push through the first week or so you will be amazed at how much more energy you will have and how you won't have that wiped out feeling at the end of the night. Also change your eating habits just a little and that really helps. Lots of water during the day. You will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!!
MyAngels 08:37 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by SuzanneL70:
I have a treadmill, dumbbells, a bench, gymboss timer, exercise bands and a stability ball. When the daycare kids go home, I work out for about 30 to 45 min. I get workout programs online and I don't go to the gym anymore. I love the ease and convenience of working out at home. The commute to get to the gym during rush hour traffic would waste AT LEAST an hour of my time. I usually fix something for dinner during nap time (or put something in the crock pot). Then I heat it up right before or after my workout and dinner is ready by the time I'm done. I do this 3 or 4 times a week depending on what we have going on after 5- like meetings, sports, after-school activities. But generally, I can do 3x easily.
In the summer a jog around the neighborhood for 30 min. a few times a week will make a big difference in how you look and feel.
There's always a way to fit exercise into your day. So many people think you need to spend more than hour in the gym every day to get fit but that can't be further from the truth.
Where do you find your workouts online? I have just set up my basement as my home gym, I just need to figure out what to do with all that stuff .
hoopinglady 06:04 AM 11-18-2011
Hold toddler in arms, lift above your head, repeat until you're tired.

Hold toddler on your legs, laying on your back, lift legs to work abs, repeat until tired.

etc.

Then you'll hear, "DO ME!" from the group of remaining toddlers then you're in trouble.
caring4kidsinSD 12:11 PM 11-18-2011
I feel like I must have posted this in my sleep - the OP has my same dilema. I just bought a treadmill and put it in my bedroom to remind me to use it - but after a few weeks of that - it's not working. I am beat by the time the kids go home at 5:30 - and I know once I start doing it, I'll want to do it more, but I just can't get started. Maybe we need to start an accounability tread for working out.
daycare 12:31 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
I feel like I must have posted this in my sleep - the OP has my same dilema. I just bought a treadmill and put it in my bedroom to remind me to use it - but after a few weeks of that - it's not working. I am beat by the time the kids go home at 5:30 - and I know once I start doing it, I'll want to do it more, but I just can't get started. Maybe we need to start an accounability tread for working out.
hang a doughnut over it...lol jk

Trust me...The worst feeling in the world to me is going back to the gym after time off.

I have been working out competitively for years and as much as I love it, I hate it at the same time..It's my love hate relationship... lol
mommiesherie 12:33 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
I love the accountability idea!!!! What also helps me is my entire family is finally on board with me. I meet my older girls at gym. My 6 year old is pushing me to go daily because they have the most fun play place there. Plus when I am done with workout I take her to swim. More work out for me and fun for her!!!
Country Kids 12:42 PM 11-18-2011
I love the accountability idea!!!! What also helps me is my entire family is finally on board with me. I meet my older girls at gym. My 6 year old is pushing me to go daily because they have the most fun play place there. Plus when I am done with workout I take her to swim. More work out for me and fun for her!!!
Big question because this is something I struggle with. How do you get everything done that needs to be done in the evening? I walk for 1/2 an hour after work that is about all the time I have. Then it home to make dinner and clean up wish is usally 1 1/2 hours, then help with homework, basic clean up, anything extra, showers and everybody including me to bed by 9.

Where do you put everything in to your evening schedule? My kidsw would love to do the swimming and that but I just see a very late, rushed evening. Help please!
daycare 12:47 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Big question because this is something I struggle with. How do you get everything done that needs to be done in the evening? I walk for 1/2 an hour after work that is about all the time I have. Then it home to make dinner and clean up wish is usally 1 1/2 hours, then help with homework, basic clean up, anything extra, showers and everybody including me to bed by 9.

Where do you put everything in to your evening schedule? My kidsw would love to do the swimming and that but I just see a very late, rushed evening. Help please!
I wake up earlier sometimes to clean what I could not finish at night, then I take off to the gym. I have to work out in the AM.

I think that you just have to let some things go and make time for it the next day.

I de-cluttered my entire home and now its super easy to clean it up...
JenNJ 01:00 PM 11-18-2011
Dh is a personal trainer. I work out in his class 4x a week. We have my mil or a sitter stay with the kids. Working out makes me happy. Happy mommy = happy family.
mommiesherie 02:50 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Ok here is what I do. It may not work for you but it does for me. I decide early what's for dinner. Either put it in crock pot or cook it between 5 and 6 when I am down to 2 kids. They can play on carpet in my living room while I make dinner. I try to have family fed during this hour. If I don't get them fed by 6 its soon after. I have everything ready for out the door. Gym bag packed and coats and shoes ready. After I get home I clean up my kitchen from dinner most nights. Some nights ya know its just gonna wait til morning. I try to clean as I cook so its not a huge mess. Even if you just go to gym once during the week and then hit it on the weekends. I am taking a kick boxing class at 930 on saturday. That's not a normal thing I would do before. It makes me feel soooo much better!! I had a terrible day yesterday with my difficult child. I could not wait to get to yoga last night. Oh my how it made the stress just melt away!!! I honestly just don't think I could make it without it. When I use to run it really relieved my stress. Ah the ear phones in with my 80's hits on. The only other sound was the sound of my feet hitting the pavement. All my frustrations went into my run. I must have had a lot of them because I got up to 5 miles a night. Lol. Now I can't run like that because I do day care. I didn't do it back then and was just a stay at home mom. Oh a time saver for me also is we shower after we get out of pool. Have started taking my daughters pj's with me and putting then on her after so that saves a step. Even if you do one day a week and one on weekend it will make a difference. Also find someone to do it with you!!!!!! This is huge!!!! Get a friend pumped up about it. Makes it easier to have a friend to share it with. I am really enjoying having my 20 and 19 year old daughters as partners in class. Last night my husband and I were walking on tread mills talking to each other. I was thinking gosh I can't remember the last time was actually had time for a conversation!!!! It was fun!!!!
Tags:exercise
Reply Up