Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cold Weather And Outside Play
DaycareMom 02:09 PM 11-21-2011
Hello,

I was just wondering now that they weather is beginning to get much colder, how long and how often do you bring the kids out for outside play?
nannyde 02:19 PM 11-21-2011
We go out if it's over 20 degrees including the wind chill and don't go out if it's over 80 including the heat index.

About 30 minutes if it's under thirty... otherwise 45 minutes.

If it's getting close to eighty then we do about 30 minutes.
DaycareMom 02:20 PM 11-21-2011
Is that all at one time? 45 minutes for the whole day?

That is how long "my" kids were out today, but I somehow felt like it wasn't long enough.
nannyde 03:01 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
Is that all at one time? 45 minutes for the whole day?

That is how long "my" kids were out today, but I somehow felt like it wasn't long enough.
Yes

The kids go for a walk in the neighborhood.

They have a lot of time at home in the afternoon and evening. They have outdoor time with their parents too.
Ariana 03:47 PM 11-21-2011
We go out 2x a day usually. My minimum is a half hour each time. If the kids are really wanting to come inside or it's really cold then 1/2 hour is my limit. If it's colder than -17 (celcius) we don't go out. A lot of the time in the winter we can't go out until it warms up a bit in the afternoons.
hoopinglady 03:53 PM 11-21-2011
I was terrible about taking the kids outside last winter but I'm choosing to put forth more of an effort this year.

I think taking our walks makes it more do-able than just having the option of going into the (sometimes wet) yard.

Also, I have a collection of extra coats/hats/scarves/gloves for those who don't have proper outerwear.

I don't have extra boots though, that might be a problem. We'll see.

When it's nice they are outside for hours.

When it's colder I wait until later in the morning and when it's really hot, earlier.
Hunni Bee 04:27 PM 11-21-2011
My kids are supposed to have two full hours of outside time a day. Along with 2 full hours of center time, at least one hour of free play - - plus three meals, nap, circle time, transitions, arrival/departure, various disasters....plus set up and break down of each one.

I take all the things that Creative Curriculum and ECER-S says we are supposed to do in a day, and add 15 minutes to each one. Because thats how long they really take, when you're dealing with three year olds.

They get a 1+ hour in the summer and at least 30 minutes in the winter. If the temp is 95+ (we get really hot summers, so 95 to us isn't what it may be to some of you), below 35, orange or lower air quality, rain/snow (sorry, get wet and chilled to the bone at your mama's house!! ) or if 50% or more of us have hacking coughs and green fountains somewhere in our heads, we stay in.
nannyde 04:32 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
My kids are supposed to have two full hours of outside time a day. Along with 2 full hours of center time, at least one hour of free play - - plus three meals, nap, circle time, transitions, arrival/departure, various disasters....plus set up and break down of each one.

I take all the things that Creative Curriculum and ECER-S says we are supposed to do in a day, and add 15 minutes to each one. Because thats how long they really take, when you're dealing with three year olds.

They get a 1+ hour in the summer and at least 30 minutes in the winter. If the temp is 95+ (we get really hot summers, so 95 to us isn't what it may be to some of you), below 35, orange or lower air quality, rain/snow (sorry, get wet and chilled to the bone at your mama's house!! ) or if 50% or more of us have hacking coughs and green fountains somewhere in our heads, we stay in.
I would DIE if I had to go out in eighty plus degree weather. Honestly, eighty is way too high for me. I like cold weather.
AmyLeigh 05:25 PM 11-21-2011
I'm the opposite of Nan. Anything below 60 is too cold for my personal liking, but I will suck it up so the kids don't get cabin fever. We are outside almost everyday, around 2 hours, minimum. The only days we aren't out is when it it raining or over 100 degrees with bad air (couple of athsmatics).
Cat Herder 05:37 PM 11-21-2011
I am already getting the "keep them inside" requests and it hardly qualifies as cold here.

I am still having to educate clients that cold wind does not actually cause colds. It is a never ending process.

Ugh, winter.... I do not like the cold at all.

Honestly, we use our indoor playroom equipment and gym mats more than anything else when the temps stay below 30 consistently (wet cold, here in the south).
Ariana 09:48 AM 11-22-2011
In the summer we don't go out if it's over 86F. This usually means we rarely get out in the summer unless it's first thing in the morning like 8am!!
countrymom 10:24 AM 11-22-2011
I hate cold weather, its been to cold for me to go out with the kids, but in the summer we are outside for almost the whole day, I have alot of trees that shade the yard so I don't have a problem with temps.
Tags:cold weather, cold weather clothing, winter cloths, winter gear power struggle, winter weather
Reply Up