Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap prob. child in their own room?
newtodaycare22 11:32 AM 08-15-2012
I have a just turned 3 year old who has been fighting naps for the past 6 months (slept GREAT prior to that). She's very much tired and literally shakes her body to stay awake if necessary. My kids sleep in a large open room together and nobody else has problems. They all go right to sleep (shes the youngest kid too...which is crazy that she is the one not sleeping!). Anyway, I have a spare bedroom licensed that I never use. I'm thinking about putting her in there so. It drives me crazy to watch her keeping herself awake because I KNOW she'll be cranky after nap (which happens everrrry day). She'd been leaving early over the summer but now I have to deal with the cranky factor again, soI I'm considering this option.

Would you do it? I don't want her to feel 'special' or that she got her way with things...but maybe isolation would make her sleep and I wouldn't have to stress out watching her keep herself awake (and keep sushing her so that she doesn't wake the others)
Thetotspot 02:01 PM 08-15-2012
I just recently opened my daycare about oh a month and a half ago, my son does the same thing, he won't just wiggle though, he will sigh, grunt, groan, toss and turn, and constantly ask if he can get up. I've tried punishments, rewards, changing nap time, etc. I'm going to give you background on our daycare now. We are on main street in a very small town, the building goes straight back (not a home with halls and turns and ups and down, all one long stretch of a building on main), you can see the kids from basically anywhere in building...but I was under the impression children had to be in sight during nap time, so I could put him in my office if I sat in a specific spot but the door would have to stay open...well my licensing inspector gave me the best news, I have to know where the children are but they dont have to be in sight...so, I can close the door and we are sleeping peacefully now. I would definitely try the other room. My son still wiggles and makes noise but has actually been falling sleep eventually and we are all getting our quiet time! So it is finally worth a try!
Nickel 02:23 PM 08-15-2012
I think it does depend on licensing in your state. Some states require that you are within sight. Some allow you to have proper supervision depending on the age which can be sight or hearing. So a monitor maybe. Your best bet is to contact your licensing office and ask. Then try it. If it works after a few days great. But you also run the risk of dck not laying down and roaming the room while you are not there. That's what my dd does!
Thetotspot 02:34 PM 08-15-2012
The only other time I use the office is if a little takes an impromptu nap and needs some quiet when the sa kids are here, but I keep the door open. If my kid gets up and doesn't lay down, he will deal with me later but the dck's are all rested!
Crazy8 06:39 PM 08-15-2012
If your regs allow it I would try her in there but I'd have to keep the door open so I could check on her often. I have my littles nap up in the bedrooms but they are in pack n' plays so I feel more secure than if it was a 3 year old on a mat/cot, etc. I think I'd probably be checking on her (therefore stressing) more if she was in the bedroom so not sure it would really solve that problem unless she does actually fall asleep quickly in there.
Reply Up