Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking of Seating....
coolconfidentme 02:13 AM 05-02-2014
How do you seat you DCKs for lunch? For the most part I pair them by their buddy. I have a DCB1.8 & takes food off of the plate of others the minute I'm serving another. A child his age doesn't really care. Do I put him with an older girl who wont tolerate it or watch him like a hawk every meal? Not much fun for DCG. Suggestions anyone???
NoMoreJuice! 05:32 AM 05-02-2014
I have two kids, ages 20 months and 22 months, who LOVE to share food. And by that, I mean one eats all the meat from both plates, and the other eats all the veggies from both plates. This happened a few times before I really caught on. Now I stagger every other child at the table: big, little, big little. The 3 and 4 year old kids would scream bloody murder if one of the littles took something off their plate. I don't see anything wrong with that arrangement, especially because the littles benefit from watching the bigs use utensils.
Heidi 07:32 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I have two kids, ages 20 months and 22 months, who LOVE to share food. And by that, I mean one eats all the meat from both plates, and the other eats all the veggies from both plates. This happened a few times before I really caught on. Now I stagger every other child at the table: big, little, big little. The 3 and 4 year old kids would scream bloody murder if one of the littles took something off their plate. I don't see anything wrong with that arrangement, especially because the littles benefit from watching the bigs use utensils.

I have all littles, but I spread them out so they can't reach.
racemom 07:36 AM 05-02-2014
We also seat kids big/little. But to make it better for the big kid they are responsible for helping their little friend. Example: susie 4 helps jimmy 2 wash up, find his seat, and gets his plate and cup for him. They love to be the big helper!
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
How do you seat you DCKs for lunch? For the most part I pair them by their buddy. I have a DCB1.8 & takes food off of the plate of others the minute I'm serving another. A child his age doesn't really care. Do I put him with an older girl who wont tolerate it or watch him like a hawk every meal? Not much fun for DCG. Suggestions anyone???
I would just be all over him about it. Maybe not seat him until AFTER you have served or assign an older child to be your eyes while you serve. The older child can give gentle reminders to the food thief while you are busy.

Have you tried serving him first so that HE has food and doesn't feel the need to steal it from anyone else?

As far as seating goes, I seat the kids older on one side of the table and younger at the other side. My oldest 4 kids have their own table. I don't think they should have to put up with the "mess" the others make. Plus the older ones are very self-sufficient and I am able to leave serving bowls and pitchers on the table for them to serve themselves.

After a few days/weeks of consistent "blocking" he may just move past the food stealing behavior.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:45 AM 05-02-2014
I have two low tables which seat 3-4 kids each. Kids seat themselves wherever they wish. I sit near whomever I think needs my help the most (or by my daughter for some mama-time if no one needs me especially much.)
Reply Up