Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Corner
mamamanda 07:09 PM 04-08-2015
I had an idea to create a "sensory corner" in our playroom. I have a couple kids with sensory processing disorder who like to touch EVERYTHING and they struggle with focus/attention. I thought this might be a fun way to help? I saw some ideas on pinterest for taking embroidery hoops and stretching various textured fabrics across them and then hanging them on the wall for the children to touch/explore. I was thinking something like that with maybe a basket of sensory objects like bean bags, scarves, tubs of pom poms, etc. Does anyone have something like this, or can you think of anything else to add to a space like this? Maybe a textured quilt on the ground for them to sit on?
Lovatic24 09:08 PM 04-08-2015
a weighted lap pad can work wonders. the different fabrics in the hoops sounds awesome
childcaremom 04:37 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I had an idea to create a "sensory corner" in our playroom. I have a couple kids with sensory processing disorder who like to touch EVERYTHING and they struggle with focus/attention. I thought this might be a fun way to help? I saw some ideas on pinterest for taking embroidery hoops and stretching various textured fabrics across them and then hanging them on the wall for the children to touch/explore. I was thinking something like that with maybe a basket of sensory objects like bean bags, scarves, tubs of pom poms, etc. Does anyone have something like this, or can you think of anything else to add to a space like this? Maybe a textured quilt on the ground for them to sit on?
Sounds great! I have seen those hoops and they look so nice.

I have a sensory table. I have dyed rice as the base, usually. Then add other things to it depending on what is going on in the classroom. So there may be pom pom, large acrylic jewels, wooden shapes, shredded paper, etc. I used to have a nice wooden one but sold it so right now I am using a sand and water table. You could really put anything in there. I like it because it is contained and the kids can all be involved at the same time if they want.

I have play silks and these get the most use out of any toys I have. Kids love them! I also have bean bags, cloth letters and numbers, etc.

Different fabrics on a quilt is a great idea. I have a wall hanging that I made with a bunch of different fabrics.

Depending on the age of your group, I have often put out trays of small items (corks, pinecones, bolts, gems, etc) for them to explore.

Share a picture when you are done!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:41 AM 04-09-2015
I just saw something like this somewhere; I apologize to the person who created it if you're here and I'm not crediting you properly!

She had a small nook--looked like between the end of a couch and a corner. There was one of those bubble things that you turn over and watch the bubbles slowly drift up to the top (lava-lamp-ish). And a "scratchy thing" that she didn't know what it was--maybe a boot scraper? And a board book with lots of textures. And headphones for blocking noise. I'll try to remember what else.

Edited to add: I found the one I was thinking about:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/156007574562784015/
nothingwithoutjoy 08:02 AM 04-09-2015
In trying to find that pin for you, I also found some other things I like, like:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/29484572530960722/ and
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/181129216236557050/

If you search "sensory corner" or "calm down corner" on pinterest, there are lots of great ideas!
Laurel 10:12 AM 04-09-2015
It sounds like a great idea to me! Even if one doesn't have sensory issues, I don't know anyone, especially children, who don't like to feel pleasant things. It is so relaxing.

When I worked in a Montessori preschool we had something I think they called a "feeling bowl". The only thing it was for was to put different things in it to 'feel'. We used beans, rice, buttons, etc. or almost anything. It reminds me of the 'good 'ol days' when my sister and I used to go to the Seed and Implement store with my dad. He bought bulk grass seed, etc. there. My sister and I LOVED to run our hands through the different kinds of seeds. Of course, you'd have to be careful with children who are still young and put things in their mouths.

A few things I can think of are: rubber bands, plastic milk caps, fabric or ribbon scraps, differents types of paper like aluminum foil, tissue paper, sand paper, etc. Those squishy ball type things you can get at the dollar store, silly putty or play dough. Also bags of decorative stones or glass beads. Kids love beads. I always got the kind of necklaces sold in the toy stores though as if they break all the beads don't come off. This is going to sound a bit weird but mine (and me, lol) used to like to take a whole lot of crayons and separate them into colors. You'd need a lot but we always seemed to have too many of them. A stack of blue, red, green, etc. For outdoors, you could fill balloons with water but not fill very full like you would for playing water balloons. Just enough to squish.

Laurel
mamamanda 04:59 PM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
In trying to find that pin for you, I also found some other things I like, like:

If you search "sensory corner" or "calm down corner" on pinterest, there are lots of great ideas!
I love the glitter bottles! I plan to make a couple of these for sure. I'm getting excited. I plan to put this center together over the weekend. Can't wait to see it done!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:35 PM 04-09-2015
I love the glitter bottles! I plan to make a couple of these for sure. I'm getting excited. I plan to put this center together over the weekend. Can't wait to see it done!
After I found that, I decided to make a glitter bottle, too. Hoping to get to it tonight...
Sunshine74 10:30 PM 04-09-2015
After I found that, I decided to make a glitter bottle, too. Hoping to get to it tonight...
I made some glitter bottles and after a lot of trial and error, they turned out great. Here's how I did it.

I think the key to it working was the glitter glue, and the hot water. I tried using just glitter and water, but the glitter either fell too fast, or floated on the top.
Lovatic24 10:08 AM 04-12-2015
It also helps to put some hair conditioner in the glitter bottles. It helps make it smoother and a bit thicker.
mamamanda 05:35 AM 04-13-2015
Originally Posted by Lovatic24:
It also helps to put some hair conditioner in the glitter bottles. It helps make it smoother and a bit thicker.
I got the supplies this weekend and I'm making them today so I'll try that. Thanks!
Indianadaycare 09:09 AM 04-18-2015
One of my kids FAVORITE things to do is get out the plastic bin of scarves and play with them. Endless fun playing peekaboo, dragging around, placing over everything! (they are toddlers) I bought some chiffon fabric, and cut into squares large enough to drape over an adults head (peekaboo) and sewed the edges. They wash beautifully and are colorful. I also took smaller squares and sewed six together by the corners; alternately red with yellow and formed a long, slim "piece". I play with them putting it IN the clear bottle (washed clear Naked Juice bottle) and then we pull them OUT. Simple, and oh so entertaining for the littles. (again, I have babies and toddlers only)!! Who knew?
Indianadaycare 09:11 AM 04-18-2015

Tags:sensory table
Reply Up