Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Milk
Unregistered 07:01 AM 11-06-2019
I have a family that has two children (4yo and 17 months) and have them drinking two different kinds of milk/milk alternate other than what I offer. There are no allergies to cow's milk, but mom has 4yo only drinking almond milk and has the 17 month old only drinking organic whole milk. I have no idea why she wants them drinking two different alternate milk options and have never thought it my place to ask why.
My question is: is it my responsibility to purchase and offer these alternates for them instead of the standard whole milk and 1 percent milk that all of the other children drink? Or is it the same as what we are required to do for infants: offering one type of formula and if the parents want them to have a different kind, it's the parents responsibility to bring it for them?
Mom currently brings both alternate milks, but it got me thinking about whether or not I am supposed to be offering/purchasing it myself.
CountryRoads 07:12 AM 11-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a family that has two children (4yo and 17 months) and have them drinking two different kinds of milk/milk alternate other than what I offer. There are no allergies to cow's milk, but mom has 4yo only drinking almond milk and has the 17 month old only drinking organic whole milk. I have no idea why she wants them drinking two different alternate milk options and have never thought it my place to ask why.
My question is: is it my responsibility to purchase and offer these alternates for them instead of the standard whole milk and 1 percent milk that all of the other children drink? Or is it the same as what we are required to do for infants: offering one type of formula and if the parents want them to have a different kind, it's the parents responsibility to bring it for them?
Mom currently brings both alternate milks, but it got me thinking about whether or not I am supposed to be offering/purchasing it myself.
I don't. I had 1 child that was on almond milk for awhile and I let mom know that she will have to supply it. I was not about to purchase special (more expensive) milk for 1 child.

If it's not on the menu for the week, they supply.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 11-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If you are on the food program AND the child has a special diet statement due to allergies then you would need to supply the nutritional equivalent to cows milk.

If it's a parent choice... parent supplies it.
springv 07:27 AM 11-06-2019
We are on the food program at our center and we have 1 child that has almond milk as an alternate to the cows milk because she has an allergy to it and the parents supply it and when we do our paperwork, we just calculate hers in as if she received it
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 11-06-2019
Here is a chart letting you know if you do/don't need a special diet statement form:
Attached: Untitled.jpg (171.3 KB) 
Leigh 07:28 PM 11-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a chart letting you know if you do/don't need a special diet statement form:
Wow! I had no idea that Nutramigen needed a note! I had a kid on it 2 years ago, and my sponsor was aware (because it was listed on his enrollment form) and never was asked for one. The Nutramigen never helped the poor kid, anyway. He NEEDED Soy or EleCare or something like that, but his Ped (I don't like his Ped) basically convinced Mom that it was normal for him to scream in pain and barf all over for the first year of his life.
rosieteddy 05:29 AM 11-07-2019
I never allowed special diets if no proven allergy present.
Snowmom 07:31 AM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I never allowed special diets if no proven allergy present.
Same

No way I have enough room in my fridge for several milk choices.
flying_babyb 09:15 AM 11-07-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Wow! I had no idea that Nutramigen needed a note! I had a kid on it 2 years ago, and my sponsor was aware (because it was listed on his enrollment form) and never was asked for one. The Nutramigen never helped the poor kid, anyway. He NEEDED Soy or EleCare or something like that, but his Ped (I don't like his Ped) basically convinced Mom that it was normal for him to scream in pain and barf all over for the first year of his life.
well crud! we dont have a note on file for our 1 year old on Elecare jr. Guess I should talk to mom. shes under weight so they want her on it for another year!
Tags:milk, milk requirements
Reply Up