Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Discipline Help!!!
TSDaycare 08:56 AM 04-06-2011
I have a 18 month old little boy who is the bully of my daycare! He constantly pushes, hits, throws toys, pulls hair of the other toddlers. At home he is the youngest of the siblings, and wrestling is allowed. So he is constantly doing the same at home and getting away with it...... I have been putting him in time out several times a day, he has a screaming fit while in timeout, I explain to him no hitting, and then put him on his way. He knows that he is doing wrong because he looks at me immediatley when doing it waiting for a response from me. He also has sharing issues, once again because he is the baby at home-all he has to do to get what he wants there is to scream, and he has it his way. Time outs don't seem to be getting very far.....I have seen the parents in several different out of daycare events- and this child doesn't have much discipline at all, they treat him as he is much older than he really is.....
Unregistered 09:07 AM 04-06-2011
Unfortanately, I have the SAME problem only difference is the child I have will be 2 the end of the month and is an only so far! I am at my witts end with him! I REALLY need advice as well......
marniewon 09:25 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
I have a 18 month old little boy who is the bully of my daycare! He constantly pushes, hits, throws toys, pulls hair of the other toddlers. At home he is the youngest of the siblings, and wrestling is allowed. So he is constantly doing the same at home and getting away with it...... I have been putting him in time out several times a day, he has a screaming fit while in timeout, I explain to him no hitting, and then put him on his way. He knows that he is doing wrong because he looks at me immediatley when doing it waiting for a response from me. He also has sharing issues, once again because he is the baby at home-all he has to do to get what he wants there is to scream, and he has it his way. Time outs don't seem to be getting very far.....I have seen the parents in several different out of daycare events- and this child doesn't have much discipline at all, they treat him as he is much older than he really is.....
Wow, I could have written this!! Except my dcb is almost 2 1/2. I don't know what to tell you - I've tried everything that I can do with this child and nothing has worked. At this point, I'm closing at the end of next week, so I'm out of "teaching" mode and am now into "survival" mode. (Survival of his victims, that is).

I hope someone has some good advice for you. But, some kids are just not able to be with others. Oh, and btw, if I didn't already know I was closing, I would have termed him a while ago. I gave it my best shot, since it was the same situation at home (older siblings wrestling) and it did get a little better, but like your guy, mine knows what he is doing is wrong, and yet he's still doing it.
countrymom 10:11 AM 04-06-2011
then seperate him. I either use a pnp or highchair. You want to act like that then you get to play all by yourself till you can behave. I also will do special things with the good kids and I emphasize the importance of being good, you would be amazed how quickly they will learn to keep their hands to themselves.

ok, what is with this wresting thing. I have a family who allows their children act this out because dad watches kick boxing so the kids are acting out. I'm so tired of hearing its a boy thing, well guess what its not. My ds doen't behave like this and neither does my other dcb, I just don't understand why parents allow this.
morgan24 10:56 AM 04-06-2011
I don't think time out works on an 18 month old. I would give him his own space with a super yard with soft toys. Put him there everytime he does something he's not suppose to and when you take him out to give him a chance to play and he does something put him back. He'll get the idea.
Christian Mother 12:26 PM 04-06-2011
I have a 19 mo DCB. We are working on not throwing toys and tantrums. We don't use time out for him bc I feel he's to young yet. He doesn't even understand when the others children go into it..he ashually will try and go and sit with them and play so he is starting to get a feeling on it but the wrong one at that. If he throws a toy I get down on his level and make eye contact and shake my head and say no. The other children say the same thing and say no so and so..no no. I don't raise my voice but say it calmly and at there eye level. That is usually my first warning at the second incident depending on whether he is throwing it down the stairs or at a friend or just a crossed the room I will take the toy away and out of sight for the rest of the day. With tantrums I let him have his time and walk away without paying any attention to it. He stops pretty quickly and goes about to play but sometimes he will go right back to climbing on furniture or what not and I am right there telling him he may not climb on furniture. It took a while to train him not to climb and he was pretty mad he couldn't. But the other children really help with this. They are all 2 1/2 him the youngest. I had a bad day yesterday where everyone was acting up and we had to go over rules and I thought I was going to pull my hair out. It wasn't a fun day bc all the kids took turns in the corner...except my littlest. Today is better much better!! Good luck!! I feel ya!!
Tags:behavior - agressive, bully, disipline not
Reply Up