Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to do Daycare in this Kind of a House Layout?
kpa0627 08:35 AM 04-02-2010
Ok everyone, I really need your input, thoughts, and ideas on this. My husband and I are looking for a rental house that meets our needs and the needs of a daycare that I am planning on starting. We live in a college town so it's overpopulated and the houses rent fast because there's just not enough to go around. We are having a hard time finding something that meets all of our "wish list" and price range. I did run across a nice home BUT it is two stories. The main floor as you walk in has the living room, kitchen, dining room and a bathroom. ALL of the 3 bedrooms are upstairs with a bathroom as well and laundry room. My question is... HOW do you make this work? Can I have my play area/nap area upstairs but bring the kids downstairs for meal times in the kitchen/dining area? Does anyone else have a home layout like this? Obviously, my ideal layout would be to have one bedroom downstairs and use that as the playroom but the rentals we are finding have ALL bedrooms upstairs and living areas/kitchen downstairs. Please help with any suggestions on what I should do. Is this layout going to be too hard... should I just keep looking for a different house? PLEASE HELP :-(
Liliya 10:32 AM 04-02-2010
My house is like that and I have no problems. I do have one more room downstairs,but I am using two rooms for daycare,my dining room and a little extra room that I have. But if you need only one room you can probably use living room since it is first when you come-in. I use same rooms for nap time,just take out mats from closed. In my state we can not use second level for daycare,because of the stairs. Good luck.
Childminder 11:20 AM 04-02-2010
Usually you can use both floors for daycare you just have to be on the same floor for napping and for supervision of children under 2 1/2. I guess you'd have to check with state. I use basement for daycare and main floor(Ranch style) for kitchen/eating and napping.
melskids 01:33 PM 04-02-2010
in our state you cannot use a second floor for anything, except for an older child to use the bathroon briefly.
Chickenhauler 01:34 AM 04-04-2010
Before you sign a lease on a rental home, be sure that you are allowed to operate a daycare out of that property....I know many property owners who strictly forbid this kind of activity in their residential rentals due to liability concerns and wear and tear that is above and beyond the normal scope of living.
MrsCoffee 05:21 AM 04-07-2010
My home is like the one you are looking to rent. I live in a tri level home my daycare is on the main level living room dining room kitchen. the bathroom is at the top of the stairs and the changing table in the hallway at top of stairs in front of bathroom. I just had my inspection yesterday and recieved a lot of compliments on my layout and use of limited space. In my space she gave me 315-20 square feet.

Hope it helps, I agree with the other poster and check before you sign as to if you are allowed to use the property for that use.
Tags:floorplan, house layout
Reply Up