Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Needless Death
sharlan 12:47 AM 09-28-2012
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-day-care?lite
rhymia1 03:14 AM 09-28-2012
And this is why I call my parents if they are a 1/2 hour late for their scheduled arrival time.
DaisyMamma 03:17 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
And this is why I call my parents if they are a 1/2 hour late for their scheduled arrival time.
OMG. Never thought of that, rhymia, good idea.
Cat Herder 04:36 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
So true

This one sounds off though. After dropping off other kids, leaving baby for 9 hours, he got back in the car and drove all the way to back to school before noticing she was in the car?

He never noticed, the siblings did? Am I reading that right???
EchoMom 04:55 AM 09-28-2012
This is why my mom suggested that we always keep a teddy bear or something in the baby's car seat. That way, whenever you put baby in the car seat, the bear goes in the passenger seat so you remember. This was her suggestion and I thought it a good one, although I've never done it. :P
sharlan 05:16 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
So true

This one sounds off though. After dropping off other kids, leaving baby for 9 hours, he got back in the car and drove all the way to back to school before noticing she was in the car?

He never noticed, the siblings did? Am I reading that right???
I'm thinking that he noticed when he went to put the other kids in the car.
lovemykidstoo 05:34 AM 09-28-2012
There is a new promo going around in Michigan about this topic. I can't remember what it's called (looking for info now), but it's basically an unsigned contract between provider and parent saying that if the parent isn't here by I think it's 1/2 hr, then we contact them. Which I do anyway. If my peeps aren't here by their usual time, then I'm on the phone.
SunnyDay 05:37 AM 09-29-2012
I would be interested in this info if you find it. I was trying to explain this to one of my parents last week and he wasn't getting it, and I didn't want to get into too much detail with kids present.
Sugar Magnolia 08:01 AM 09-29-2012
A half hour in Florida in the summer.....still may be too late. It's not a myth, you can actually fry an egg on the hood of a car. I have a stainless steel stick shifter in my car. I can park in full sun, put the windows up and go in a store for 15 mins and the shifter is so hot, it literally burns my hand. I keep a sock in my car to put over it. My son screamed once when we got in because the seat belt buckle touched his belly, it left a mark! Aluminum slides are illegal here, burn hazard....walking on asphalt in bare feet can give you 2nd degree burns...on and on the list goes.
Sugar Magnolia 08:15 AM 09-29-2012
Oh. I posted before I actually read the article. Miami Dade. Shocker. So sad. Just another s****ty day in paradise. Awful.
Nickel 08:44 AM 09-29-2012
I give the parents 15 min here. In Texas they have the where's. Baby campaign I printed out a flyer to give to my parents. Its 108 average In the summer here
BABYLUVER 11:47 AM 09-29-2012
I was a first-time mother once. I have NEVER forgotten one of my children. I have been exhausted, in pain, working-drop-off at daycare mom with my first child. She slept A LOT in the car. NEVER forgot her. I cannot understand, innocent or not, how one could forget they have created a whole person, and just leave them ANYWHERE.

I have also been an exhausted mother of multiples. I had 4 kids in 4 years and was running a daycare at the same time. One of my babies was the same age as my twins (I had an exception for 4 under 2 license due to the fact I had twins and both my dc parents were pregnant around the same time). It was like having triplets. Don't forget, I had to put their oxygen tanks, monitors, and more with them. I also had to remember bottles x a million, and ALL the other children's needs. NEVER forgot a one of them!

I had to drop off kids to/from preschool at different times, some I dropped off at home on certain days. There were some part time and full time kids. Some kids were there only once or twice a week. NEVER FORGOT them!

It's our job as adults to remember that we created life. IMO, I feel that people make excuses. If you can't remember things, write things down. But my brain doesn't process one forgetting their child in a vehicle, at the store or anywhere for that matter

Years ago, a young mother left her baby in the car so she didn't have to pay daycare, and she had a job at McDonald's. She only left him for a "little while" (her statement) and the baby died. I get the world sucks, but I do not see any reason whatsoever that anyone could possibly "forget" a human being is with them. I cannot make sense of something like that. I forget lots of things---my children have never been one of them. Another story- mother left her child in the car at Walgreens---just for a few. Car was stolen by a hijacker with the baby. Luckily, the hijacker was scared of babies and dumped the car, easy to find for the cops. It's illegal in our state to leave a child unattended in a vehicle.
Crystal 02:14 PM 09-29-2012
BABYLUVER....I see your point, but I feel that you are VERY wrong in judging a parent for something they will have to suffer with for the rest of their lives. I don't "think" I would ever forget either, but it happens, it has happened thousands of times....it is not intentional, and to insinuate that it may have been is very unfair of you.

Now, the ones where Mom DID intentionally leave their children in the car as a matter of conveninece....please, judge them all you want, but just because YOU have never forgotten your child, doesn't mean it doesn't happen and that it isn't a tragic, heartbreaking loss for the family.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm thinking that he noticed when he went to put the other kids in the car.
OK, I see baby would have been rear facing, in the backseat, too. That makes more sense.

I did not see any updates to the investigation. Last I saw there were more questions as to where the car was parked during those 9 hours.
lovemykidstoo 07:44 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I would be interested in this info if you find it. I was trying to explain this to one of my parents last week and he wasn't getting it, and I didn't want to get into too much detail with kids present.
Do you remember seeing something recently here in Michigan about this campaign? I cannot remember where I saw it. It had some gimmicky line too. Kinda like the seat belt law here in Michigan that says click it or ticket. Something catchy like that for remembering to call the parent if the child doesn't come to daycare. Gonna drive me crazy!
lovemykidstoo 07:47 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I give the parents 15 min here. In Texas they have the where's. Baby campaign I printed out a flyer to give to my parents. Its 108 average In the summer here
Can you post that flier here?
crazydaycarelady 07:54 AM 10-01-2012
It seems like this usually happens when the parent is not following their normal routine. Dcd is supposed to drop the baby off but usually does not do that, so he follows his normal routine on auto-pilot and forgets. I am not making excuses but I can see how it could happen.
rhymia1 08:00 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
BABYLUVER....I see your point, but I feel that you are VERY wrong in judging a parent for something they will have to suffer with for the rest of their lives. I don't "think" I would ever forget either, but it happens, it has happened thousands of times....it is not intentional, and to insinuate that it may have been is very unfair of you.

Now, the ones where Mom DID intentionally leave their children in the car as a matter of conveninece....please, judge them all you want, but just because YOU have never forgotten your child, doesn't mean it doesn't happen and that it isn't a tragic, heartbreaking loss for the family.
I agree.

For the most part I view this issue as a part of a much larger problem in our society. The unrealistic expectations on parents - especially those with infants, to "be all end all." We are expected to be back at work SIX WEEKS after giving birth, sometimes shorter depending on the job. I don't know about you, but I was still in pain, sleep deprived, and suffering from PPD to boot. Thankfully I didn't forget my babies anywhere, but there were times I would drive somewhere and have no memory of the trip Did I stop for the stop sign? No idea. Did I cut someone off? I hope not!
My personal belief is that family leave should be extended. And it should be strongly encouraged that people take the leave - unlike now where it's activily discouraged in some places of employment. It's a lot harder to forget a 1 year old child in the car than a sleeping infant.
rhymia1 08:01 AM 10-01-2012
I agree, if I lived where it got that hot, my time frame would be much shorter.
crazydaycarelady 08:08 AM 10-01-2012
Originally Posted by :
For the most part I view this issue as a part of a much larger problem in our society
I totally agree! I bet you NEVER heard of such a thing back in the 50's when moms (who wanted to) could stay home and take care of their children.
Nickel 11:26 AM 10-01-2012
Here it is. Look Before you Lock! That's what it was called. I am posting the links below.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/heat-involved.htm

I post a poster on my parent board, I print one out for parents, and I call if they are more than 15 min late. Cuz you just never know
lovemykidstoo 11:57 AM 10-01-2012
Here it is. Look Before you Lock! That's what it was called. I am posting the links below.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/heat-involved.htm

I post a poster on my parent board, I print one out for parents, and I call if they are more than 15 min late. Cuz you just never know

That's it! I knew it had some catchy phrase to remember. It's "look before you lock" just like in michigan with seat belts "click it or ticket." Thank you so much for posting!
SunshineMama 01:59 PM 10-01-2012
This is so sad

On one hand, I can see how this can happen- you get busy, you are over tired, stressed, etc...

But on the other, I can't comprehend how you can forget your child in the car and just go about your day.

But I know that none of those parent who did that ever thought it could happen to them. I like the suggestion of keeping a teddy bear in the car seat and putting it in the front seat as a reminder!
Reply Up