Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pneumonia
Francine 04:28 AM 05-09-2013
I have a little guy (2) that left here Monday with a temp of about 103.0, Mom should have taken him in right then but didn't. He went home had some Tylenol, ate a big dinner, went to bed. Temp was normal in the morning, he spent the day with Grandma apparently playing just fine. Tuesday night his temp went back up to 105.00, by the time she got him to the Dr. in the morning ( yes, I would have went to ER immediately) his temp was normal. They ran a strep test, urinalysis, checked his ears etc. etc. but came up with nothing. Mom put him down for his afternoon nap, again he woke with 105.0 temp. She took him and her thermometer back into the Dr.'s office, they did a rectal temp and came up with 104.5, sent him for a chest xray which came back with pneumonia. They gave him an injection plus oral antibiotics, he didn't have any cold symptoms at all. He had the fever, wasn't eating much and was lethargic but all was off and on. After getting the diagnosis his Mom called and asked what my policy is for Pneumonia. I don't have a policy specifically for pneumonia, with other things it's no fever for 24 hours and/or on antibiotics for 24 hrs like most daycares have. I have never had a case of pneumonia before, what would you have told her? Would you allow him back after 24 hours on antibiotics? With today being Thursday I told her that she should keep him home today and tomorrow, by Monday he should be fine. What would you have done?
Cradle2crayons 04:43 AM 05-09-2013
Pneumonia is no more contagious than a cold and depending on the type, maybe even less than the typical cold virus. I'd stick to my policy on fever and go from there. My son is almost five and has been sick twice in his entire life. Once at age two with atypical pneumonia. He had no fever, no cough, no symptoms at all except his lips were off color. Chest x ray said pneumonia and the doc said this type of pneumonia was popular that year. He also got an injection and some oral antibiotics. Never did get a fever though.

The only advice I have is that by the time you've waited the 24 hours or whatever your policy is to allow him back, he should be good. I'd be sure to remind mom that even without a fever if he generally looks sick and can't participate normally even without a fever, she may want to keep him home another day or so.
canadiancare 04:55 AM 05-09-2013
Pneumonia means that the lung tissue is inflamed. The virus that caused the inflammation is what is contagious (or not). The spittle from coughing is what would spread. If it is a bacterial cause that would be infectious but once he has had a few doses of antibiotics he would be safe to return to daycare provided he meets your rules for fever/irritability/neediness etc. If it is a viral cause like a cold that settled it will spread the same way a cold does and may not affect the others the same way.

Some people (myself included) are just susceptible to a virus landing in their lungs. Some get bronchitis, some sinus infections or ear infections.

He will probably feel like walking death for a few days but once the meds start working he should be back to his normal self.
DCBlessings27 06:07 AM 05-09-2013
My daughter and I had pneumonia last year. My doctor said we were contagious until we had been on antibiotics for 2 days I believe, so I think not letting him return until Monday was your best option.
Willow 06:51 AM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by Francine:
What would you have done?

The exact same thing you did.

Temps hovering around 105 are febrile seizure territory (and possibly worse). I wouldn't take a kiddo that had one that high in the last at least 24 hours, but probably 48 to be safe.

I'd tell mom you would prefer to be cautious and make sure the medicine works before having him return. Pneumonias can be tricky sometimes and needing to utilize multiple meds to knock them completely isn't terribly uncommon.
Reply Up