Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfeeding
Francine 06:47 AM 06-04-2014
I am making some changes/additions to my handbook, I just realized that I don't have anything in there in regards to breast feeding. I have had two infants within the past couple of years that would not take a bottle from me or if they did it wasn't much. The one parent just didn't keep up with it at home, when the baby wasn't with me she was never given a bottle. I understand it was easier for Mom but it really made my life miserable until she started solids.

I'm not sure how to word it so I am looking for ideas, would you be willing to share what you have in your handbook?

Thank You!!
Unregistered 07:19 AM 06-04-2014
I don't have any contract/policy advice. I wanted to suggest keeping the milk in the fridge and not warm it up. DCG 4 mo wouldn't drink from a bottle until I tried this by accident. Drank like she's never been fed before. I was stunned.
LysesKids 08:05 AM 06-04-2014
I have a policy in place that a breast fed baby must be able to take a bottle at least 2 weeks prior to starting in care; I also suggest that a friend do it instead of mom or dad because the baby has to get use to someone other than parent for feeding. I also allow a parent to come nurse during lunch breaks if they are close enough and want too. Get at least one mom every year that appreciates the option

Never had issues once the policy was in place and I do nothing but infants
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 06-04-2014
Have the parent SHOW you the child actually consumes food from the bottle. Have dad or another family member if necessary.

My handbook states that I will not struggle with a baby that cannot use a bottle or is not nipple trained and will go NO LONGER than 30 minutes after baby indicates hunger.

After the 30 minutes, I call for pick up.

SOOO not fair to the baby...
KSDC 08:46 AM 06-04-2014
I want to say that I have never encountered this problem. I have had multiple BF babies in my care over the years and they all do fine on bottles for me.

For me, I don't have a policy in place for this. If I do encounter this problem, I plan on discussing with the parents. And, if the baby can't adapt, then I will term.
nannyde 03:55 PM 06-04-2014
My policy is that I don't do any nipple training and the baby must eat a full feeding in front of me a few days before starting.
cheerfuldom 06:55 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My policy is that I don't do any nipple training and the baby must eat a full feeding in front of me a few days before starting.
yup yup yup! make the parents feed the child a bottle in front of you before starting care. knowing that this will be required forces a parent to make sure the baby is bottle trained otherwise their start date will be delayed till baby will take a bottle. plus multiple big transitions are hard on babies! it is not right for parents to start daycare and bottle train at the same time. plus there can be an adjustment period as baby tries different bottles, nipple shapes, flow, formula....this can all be done beforehand!
Reply Up