Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mornings
tenderhearts 07:02 AM 10-06-2010
I have 2 dck's that arrive at 6:30am and another at 7:15. Do you let them play as they normally would that early or do you require a "quiet" time for a bit? Normally I have "quiet" time which is easy when there is just a baby and one 4 yr old but now that the one comes at 7:15 it's a little harder. I have them sit and wach tv until about 8 OR they can color at the table which that has even been getting too loud so I am debating on not allowing that even until about 7:45ish. If they have quiet time watching tv how much talking do you allow them? It seems every time I say you can talk quietly it gets way too loud, same when I said or you can sit at the table and color or do a puzzle it gets way too loud. Just curious what others do.
Crystal 07:21 AM 10-06-2010
I have kids starting around 6:45 up until 7:30. I allow them to play just as I would any other time. My own family is all up by 6:30, so it isn't bothersome, and I don't have any little babies that need to sleep. Just curious, so please do not be offended or think I am judging your practices - why do you require that they be quiet? Are your kids sleeping at that time?
SilverSabre25 07:31 AM 10-06-2010
I have been wondering this today too. Today a new boy started who gets here at 6:30...a full hour and fifteen minutes earlier than anyone has ever gotten here for me before! My DD usually sleeps until 8 but was up at 6:45 today because he woke her up. I'm thinking I'm going to keep him downstairs until closer to 8 but have been wondering how to teach a 2.5 yo to be quiet!
Unregistered 09:10 AM 10-06-2010
My daycare opens at 7:30am with kids arriving up intil 8am everyone comes in and watches tv till 8am then we have breakfest at 8am it gives me time to get food ready and time for everyone to get here.
momma2girls 09:31 AM 10-06-2010
At my house and daycare I have a quiet time in the am til everyone arrives- inc. my baby when she gets up in the am.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:39 AM 10-06-2010
we are not "quiet", but we dont do really loud games or dance time that early,.. I run the sweeper every morning at 7 so that signals normal goofy play. Mine start arriving after 4
DBug 09:40 AM 10-06-2010
I think my dc kids are my husband's and kid's alarm clock . Dc kids start arriving around 6:30 (sometimes earlier). My own family doesn't get up til 7:15, but I don't actively try to keep the dc kids quiet. Generally they're at the table eating breakfast, so that keeps them relatively quiet (normal conversation-level noise), but once they go to the playroom to play, they do start to get loud. I don't have a problem with it, since it's so close to everyone else waking up anyway.
katie 09:52 AM 10-06-2010
I had it made with my dcg who is 3. She comes in at 7:15 and lays down and watches cartoons until my kids get up at 8 or 7:45. Once a week I have a 2 1/2 year old. Forget it on that day! She comes in at 6:15 ready to, in her own words, "dump" toys.
kendallina 09:58 AM 10-06-2010
Personally, if there aren't people in your house sleeping, then I wouldn't do quiet time in the morning. Sounds like it's not worth the battle.

If there are sleeping people then I'd try to come up with some special activities for that time, whether it's a cartoon or puzzles or new library books or something (which it sounds like you're doing). But even then, if it's not working and just stressing you (and the kids) out, it doesn't sound worth it.
tenderhearts 07:47 AM 10-07-2010
I never did "quiet time" it was more they just did quieter activities, coloring, puzzles, computer, books ect, which has always worked UNTIL this week, the new boy gets here and he's REALLY loud, he can't seem to sit still, do things quietly so because he's being so incredibly loud I said we needed to sit and watch cartoons for 20 min until my family gets up, and yes my son gets up at 7:45 for school but the rest of my family sleeps later which isn't a big deal for them when the kids play because their rooms are further away from the daycare room but my sons room is right down the entry way so ALL the noise travels thru into there. I would never make the kids play "quiet" until everyone got up but 7:45 isn't too long. Plus all parents know this in the interview when they sign on for 6:30 until 7:30 that it is "quiet play" until
7:45ish.
DanceMom 07:50 AM 10-07-2010
If my kids are still sleeping I allow TV time in the morning as I prepare breakfast for the DCK's. IF my kids are up then I let them do whatever they want and be as loud as they want in the mornings.
mac60 08:16 AM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
At my house and daycare I have a quiet time in the am til everyone arrives- inc. my baby when she gets up in the am.
I do this too. At 6:15/6:30 kids don't need to be rip raring in the house, they can sit quietly with an activity till bk time. I still have family members that sleep until at least 9/9:30 or later, depending on their work schedules.
sahm2three 12:09 PM 10-07-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I have 2 dck's that arrive at 6:30am and another at 7:15. Do you let them play as they normally would that early or do you require a "quiet" time for a bit? Normally I have "quiet" time which is easy when there is just a baby and one 4 yr old but now that the one comes at 7:15 it's a little harder. I have them sit and wach tv until about 8 OR they can color at the table which that has even been getting too loud so I am debating on not allowing that even until about 7:45ish. If they have quiet time watching tv how much talking do you allow them? It seems every time I say you can talk quietly it gets way too loud, same when I said or you can sit at the table and color or do a puzzle it gets way too loud. Just curious what others do.
During the summer I had a few kids that came early, and I didn't want them waking up my own kids (who wanted to sleep in, heck, it was summer), so I had them play quietly or watch a moving downstairs until breakfast at 7:30, and if my kids were still not up, we went back downstairs. Then babies have morning nap around 8:30, so still some more quiet. Mornings are fairly low key here until about 10 AM. But I am lucky to have a downstairs that is pretty shut off noise wise so the kids can still play and not have to be whispering the entire time.
BentleysBands 12:29 PM 10-07-2010
same here....i have 3 that show between 620a-640a ..my own family is still sleeping , well some, so its quiet time / tv time here. no loud toys . my house is small so any noise is heard by others.
handemom 08:01 AM 10-19-2010
I had a REALLY HARD TIME, with my previous daycare children, they came in a 7 in the morning and were sooooo loud, it got the to point that my children were in their rooms, practically crying cuz they were woken with all the screaming and yelling. We dont have doors here in my house, so my two kids could hear everything.

So the new rule was that they needed to come in and sit and color or watch tv.

that didn't last at all, they continued yelling and screaming and actually the father was the most guilty of it all. he is the one that came in and got his children all wound up, he would wrestle with them or throw them over his shoulder and make them laugh till they couldnt stop...yes...it's cute......in the afternoon, not at 7 am, when my two are sleeping.!

so lay down the law, I didn't and I regreted every minute.

it's amazing how much some parents can walk all over you, the second that they know they can
daysofelijah 08:20 AM 10-19-2010
The early arrivals (6:30) either go back to bed, or read books or play quiet toys in the living room. I turn on the tv when the next family arrives at 7:20, until breakfast at 8-8:30. I have my own children sleeping until 7:30 or so, so I like to keep it quiet.
Jewels 12:08 PM 10-19-2010
I have 2 kids that arrive at 6am, [i] just have them lay in the playroom with the tv and their blankies, I do all my vaccuuming and mopping between 6-7 any extra cleaning, so it can be loud in here, but my own kids dont wake up to the vacuum, at 7am I have 3 more arrive, and thats typically when my son and daughter wake up, so by 7:10, its generally a regular playhouse, and I usually only have the tv on until 7:30-7:45 when breakfast is ready, so I like my son up by 7 so he can watch morning TV, otherwise he gets really mad.
BentleysBands 12:17 PM 10-19-2010
just cracked up at someones post saying they use the 'sweeper' in the morning hehe....i gotta start a thread now
QualiTcare 12:21 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I have kids starting around 6:45 up until 7:30. I allow them to play just as I would any other time. My own family is all up by 6:30, so it isn't bothersome, and I don't have any little babies that need to sleep. Just curious, so please do not be offended or think I am judging your practices - why do you require that they be quiet? Are your kids sleeping at that time?
wondering the same thing.......a 1.5 hour "quiet time" is a really, really long time to ask kids who just woke up to be quiet.
Live and Learn 12:45 PM 10-19-2010
I only have one dck who arrives before my kids get up for school and wouldn't you know it is the screamer who I have mentioned before. We have a "no tv or computer in the morning" rule in our house because my own children seem to become hypnotized and can't seem to get their acts together in the morning if those electronics are available.. the rest of my dc kids arrive as my own children leave to school. I always feel sorry for my kids when they wake up in the morning to a screaming toddler. For those two weeks that he was mellowed out after baby boot camp but before he got sick....it was so much easier in the morning. My own kids went around saying"wow, I have never seen X when he wasn't hollering"...to be honest most of our indoor play is pretty quiet. the kids are good about indoor voices and indoor feet vs outdoor voices and outdoor feet. Duplos, dollies, puzzles, books, are all good quiet activities. The screamer's dad has a loud voice and I have had to remind him several times that my kids are sleeping still!
kidkair 12:56 PM 10-19-2010
I generally have no need for the kids to be quiet in the morning so they are allowed to do whatever when they get here. If my husband needs to sleep because of being sick or having worked an awake overnight shift then I take the kids outside and they play outside until snack time or in the summer we picnic snack and stay out until lunch time aside from quiet potty breaks.
f.barboza82 01:17 AM 10-20-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
we are not "quiet", but we dont do really loud games or dance time that early,.. I run the sweeper every morning at 7 so that signals normal goofy play. Mine start arriving after 4
Yeah, my kids are not quiet, but they are not extremely loud either.
Tags:activities, early arrival
Reply Up