Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG...New Baby Today
Oneluckymom 01:26 PM 02-13-2012
So this morning my new DC baby started, 2.5mo. She got here at 8:30AM. Gave her a bottle at about 9:15 and she was asleep in my arms. Went to put her in the PNP...crying. Picked her up and held her for 15 min again she slept...put her in PNP...crying. This went on and on. I would let her cry for about 15min at a time to see if see would sleep...nope.

When she would sleep, she would startle herself awake! Finally, at 1:00 she is sleeping

Mom said that she is used to sleeping with the boppy pillow? Well, I am not sure if that is safe as I know that it is not intended for sleeping.

Plus, now I'm thinking that my little group was in such a nice routine prior to new baby. My poor little toddler was really fending for herself today while I tried to console the baby. UGGHHH...what have I gotten myself into?
bice99 01:48 PM 02-13-2012
I had one like that. She is now 8 months old and has been a super sleeper for about 4 months. I swaddled her when she was little. Otherwise she startled herself all of the time.
nannyde 01:49 PM 02-13-2012
My guess is it's a swing or mom is holding and rocking thru nap... not a boppy pillow.

The boppy pillow is SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO dangerous. I would tell her that you can't replicate that at your home because it is so dangerous. Give her some info on positional asphyxia and let her know that you can't use ANY kind of positional device or a swing.

It's hard to get the message across that the Mom has the option to loose the child to poor decisions, poor parenting, or lack of self education. You don't have the option even though it's the same child. When the means the parent is using to get the child to sleep are so oppositional to what providers can use you will always get a crying baby.

A crying baby is an alive baby. I'll take the crying any day of the week.
Oneluckymom 02:53 PM 02-13-2012
Absolutely....I agree 100% nannyde. I explained to mom the reason I couldnt use it and how dangerous it is for a sleeping baby. She seemed to understand. I hope she doesn't use it at home

Thanks.
laundrymom 02:55 PM 02-13-2012
Congrats on the new friend!!! It will take a bit but she will figure it out. And be a safer sleeping baby because of it!!! Kudos to you!!!
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My guess is it's a swing or mom is holding and rocking thru nap... not a boppy pillow.

The boppy pillow is SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO dangerous. I would tell her that you can't replicate that at your home because it is so dangerous. Give her some info on positional asphyxia and let her know that you can't use ANY kind of positional device or a swing.

It's hard to get the message across that the Mom has the option to loose the child to poor decisions, poor parenting, or lack of self education. You don't have the option even though it's the same child. When the means the parent is using to get the child to sleep are so oppositional to what providers can use you will always get a crying baby.

A crying baby is an alive baby. I'll take the crying any day of the week.
I agree with everything you said about the things a parent can do and what we as providers can do are two completely different things but I think I will take you up on the "I'll take a crying baby any day of the week" because my high needs baby is still crying!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!

He gets here around 10 every day. We do 15 minutes of belly time (he is screaming...) then we do some sitting up time, both individually with me on T/Th and as a group with the other kids....he is screaming the whole time
Then we sit in the high chair and play toys while I start preparing lunch (he is still screaming. Then he eats, I hold him and feed him his bottle while lunch cooks so he isn't crying then because I am holding him at that time. Then when he is done eating, he either has fallen asleep or I lay him in the PNP and he screams.....if he was a sleep, he wakes up because I laid him down. He then screams continually until he is pick up or his mom arrives to get him at 1:30. We have done away with the swaddler because he has outgrown the one he had and it had stopped working anyway so getting him into it was a pain.

The only way this kid does not scream is if he is being held. He is now able to sit up but that is it. He does not scoot, or army crawl...not even a teeny tiny bit. He can get himself hysterical and like a light switch he can stop the second I pick him up.

Mom said he is the same way at home. She does the same routine I do but I doubt she lets him cry as long as 15 minutes before she picks him up. He does sleep in his own crib but mom said he is up every two or three hours screaming of course.

I just thank the stars above that this kid is only here for a short while. His mom is a teacher and will be off for the summer and I am soooooo banking on the fact he will be much happier once he learns to move and interact more with others. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry, Oneluckymom, I did NOT mean to take over your thread.
Oneluckymom 03:56 PM 02-13-2012
Haha, blackcat you made me feel better. Is he the only baby in your group? I have another 8 mo old, but she is very easy to care for and knows our routine here. I am trying to figure out a feeding schedule for the two of them. Hopefully, the 2.5 mo old will settle into our routine well. Then in march I am adding a 2 year old baby fanatic into our mix...he really is obsessed with babies. He was so overwhelmed with our when he visited he wanted to go in 5 different directions at once.
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Haha, blackcat you made me feel better. Is he the only baby in your group? I have another 8 mo old, but she is very easy to care for and knows our routine here. I am trying to figure out a feeding schedule for the two of them. Hopefully, the 2.5 mo old will settle into our routine well. Then in march I am adding a 2 year old baby fanatic into our mix...he really is obsessed with babies. He was so overwhelmed with our when he visited he wanted to go in 5 different directions at once.
Yes, he is the only baby in my group. I do have a drop in baby that is the same age and she is waaaaay ahead of this little guy. I suppose because she isn't held all day every day...LOL!!

I am glad I made you feel better ( ) because I am still all ???????? about what to do with this little one I have.

Yes, he needs his own adult and yes, he really just needs mom but that just isn't going to happen. She is a teacher and is not going to quit her job and stay home with him and I think if she could find an adult for him to have on his own she would jump at the chance but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

When your little one meshes and blends beautifully into your group, you can post a to me and I will probably still be listening to my little guy scream his head off.....
Tags:new baby
Reply Up