Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Other Prospects, Low Low Rate....
AfterSchoolMom 06:45 AM 11-04-2011
So, I had an interview two weeks ago for an infant. It was the first interview I'd had in months and months. I thought it went really well, but I haven't heard from them since.

I have another prospect, also for an infant and the hours are awesome (9-4) but the rate they need is $40 less per week than what I'd normally charge. It really does sound like this is all the family can afford, though, and I'm wondering if I ought to jump at the chance while I have it...I'm feeling kind of desperate.

What do you all think?
mismatchedsocks 06:50 AM 11-04-2011
Can you make this a rate for 6 months? or a certain amount of time?
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 11-04-2011
Have you checked out the rates of the folks around you??

They are dropping around here....
AfterSchoolMom 08:48 AM 11-04-2011
Catherder, you're right about that. I just saw a CL ad for a woman in my area offering care from 4:45 to 6 for $100 per week for infants and $85 per week for 2 and up.
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Catherder, you're right about that. I just saw a CL ad for a woman in my area offering care from 4:45 to 6 for $100 per week for infants and $85 per week for 2 and up.
Yep.. And, at least here, these are ESTABLISHED providers with a local reputation for excellent service.

My own rate is $105 a week for all ages, available 50 hours a week WITH a curriculum.

Luckily it is all I need to stay afloat. I have been accumulating all my resources for many years. I don't think I could financially start out again, now.

I wish newer providers would trust the old ones, we could all share resources and help each other. Unfortunately, they only see me as competition lately.

I have more stuff in my attic and shed that alot of these ladies have in the whole program. IDK.... Just sad.

Imagine how strong we could be if we worked together...
wdmmom 10:53 AM 11-04-2011
See if you can meet at $20 off.

If not, bring them in at the rate they can afford. Tell them that you can only offer this introductory rate for a maximum of 6 months. Tell them that their rate will go up $20 a week after 6 months. If you need to increase thereafter, give them a 1 month notice.
Heidi 11:01 AM 11-04-2011
Our problem here is competing with so many unregulated or illegal providers. I have no problem with the unregulated, as long as they legal. I don't even care if someone [u]occasionally has 4 or 5 (3 or more under age 7 requires a license here).

But when a provider has 12 -18 children BY HERSELF, I have a problem! The state has sent her cease-and-desist letters, and has fined her. She just stops for a while, then starts up again. A family friend is the district attorney here. His mom was a licensed provider for 25 years. He says, if they turn it over to his office, he will prosecute, but it has never been turned over...

Can you imagine if a fire broke out?!
laundrymom 11:44 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
Our problem here is competing with so many unregulated or illegal providers. I have no problem with the unregulated, as long as they legal. I don't even care if someone [u]occasionally has 4 or 5 (3 or more under age 7 requires a license here).

But when a provider has 12 -18 children BY HERSELF, I have a problem! The state has sent her cease-and-desist letters, and has fined her. She just stops for a while, then starts up again. A family friend is the district attorney here. His mom was a licensed provider for 25 years. He says, if they turn it over to his office, he will prosecute, but it has never been turned over...

Yes I can,...

My neighbor had two schoolagers light her upstairs bathroom on fire. After evacing ALL HER kids to me, I had 27 children here. Alone until one of my parents showed up to get their child and stayed to help. I had 7 in attendance that day.
Danielle 11:55 AM 11-04-2011
I had something similar just happen. Here's what I did. I had no daycare kids and was having problems filling spots. I interviewed a family that seemed to be a perfect match (still does several weeks later) but they also seemed very sincere when they said my rates were higher than they could afford ($35/week). We agreed to $25 less than my rate but they provide food and wipes for their children..things I normally provide.
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:

FWIW~ I have 12 children BY MYSELF. I am legally allowed to do so. I also have a fire evacuation plan and we practice it 2x per month.

I do get what you are saying though.....just wanted to point out though that I CAN and do have 12 children per licensing rules and regs.
Heidi 12:38 PM 11-04-2011
sorry...didn't mean to blast you in the process! I realize that each state has it's own rules. :-)

She had 12 children, several of which were infants and toddlers (not all over age 2), and them, as I was leaving, 6 more got off the school bus. She claimed to have a (absent)helper, which wouldn't have mattered legally, as she is/was not licensed anyway.
HeatherJ 03:09 PM 11-04-2011
I am not a provider. But I am a parent who has looked around at many different in-home daycares. Here, in OK, I found that most average in-home daycares charged about $150/weekly for one full-time, non-school-age child. The ones that were highly-accredited charged more. And established, very accredited centers charged even more, & I usually found that they called this tuition and in some instances I would be required to pay for semesters at a time, not weekly or even monthly. I suppose these are more like preschools, but they are not titled as preschools, and are more than likely just glorified daycare centers.
You all definitely know more about rates than I do, but I never found any that offered a promotional 6-month rate. That seems more like an apartment rental special, or a credit card offer.
Can this mother not apply for gov't assistance? Are you accepting gov't assistance as payment right now?
Perhaps you could look into that, if you aren't already, and maybe that would bring in some clients so you would not need to discount your rates.
However, I can see where some state govt's may only pay you a set rate, which may be less than your rates, anyway.
So I may be very unhelpful altogether.
cheerfuldom 03:17 PM 11-04-2011
If you have no kids and need income, I would take the pay cut and get this family started. Once you can get going with a few families, you can raise rates in the future once the demand picks up
Cat Herder 03:33 PM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by HeatherJ:
Can this mother not apply for gov't assistance? .
Sadly, the working poor are typically ineligible. We are seeing ALOT of this recently.

Also many States are very unreliable in paying providers; so smaller ones, like me, run a chance of losing their homes if they place their trust in them. Some providers went MONTHS without payment, then the State decided not to honor any back payments.

I no longer accept subsidy for this reason. I am a Mom of 3.
daycare 03:38 PM 11-04-2011
I am doing this right now for a family. My numbers are low and we both could help each other out...

I am doing 3 days a week M-Tu W...which I normally would NEVER do.. They have two kids and I am doing it for 20% less monthly than I ever would.

BUT......

They know that if I get a full time family they will either have to go to full time or find a new Daycare...

Maybe this is a way you can get things going...

BTW since I did this, I have had a ton of referrals from this family and they are actually pushing themselves out by doing this and it makes me feel bad...
greenhouse 09:58 AM 11-05-2011
I charge $245- $175 depending on age. Way more than other providers in my area but it allows me to keep a smaller group which parents love. I seem to weed out some dcp who aren't a right fit anyway. I do allow drop-in and don't charge for off days. If you need to make x amount then don't compromise IMO.
Tags:bad economy, low income, lower rates, spots - downturn
Reply Up