Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview With Your Children
MommyMuffin 12:32 PM 09-29-2010
I have some interviews this week and my husband works at night a lot of the time. I dont have anyone to watch her. I only have interviews in the evening. I also have a 2 year old. I set some new toys out and her and the child who comes for interview play with the toys but she is 2 and is not sharing at all and is making interviews difficult. I think she is at the age where it is very hard for her to share ANY of her toys, I bought multiples of everything though. I have been role playing sharing with her too.
I am not worried about her sharing,as I know its just her developmental stage. I just dont know how to run a successful interview while she clings and whines to me and pulls toys out of the kids hands. She is usually well behaved but people come for hour long interviews. She gets tired and hungry and I just am feeling overwhelmed at trying to be "everything" (talk to parents, engage with their children, attend to my own child) while the parents watch me. I have 2 interviews this week...
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:33 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have some interviews this week and my husband works at night a lot of the time. I dont have anyone to watch her. I only have interviews in the evening. I also have a 2 year old. I set some new toys out and her and the child who comes for interview play with the toys but she is 2 and is not sharing at all and is making interviews difficult. I think she is at the age where it is very hard for her to share ANY of her toys, I bought multiples of everything though. I have been role playing sharing with her too.
I am not worried about her sharing,as I know its just her developmental stage. I just dont know how to run a successful interview while she clings and whines to me and pulls toys out of the kids hands. She is usually well behaved but people come for hour long interviews. She gets tired and hungry and I just am feeling overwhelmed at trying to be "everything" (talk to parents, engage with their children, attend to my own child) while the parents watch me. I have 2 interviews this week...
That would be rough. I hate when parents see me tending to other children while they are there watching. It's even worse if it's your own. A lot of people base how well the caregiver will do with their child based on how well they handle their own child. Would a young babysitter be an option? If you tell each family that's coming for an interview that you only have until x time, maybe the babysitter could just keep her occupied in their room for an hour until the interview is over. If you think she wouldn't leave you alone, knowing that you're there, maybe she could go to a neighbors just for an hour or something? Or with a friend of your's or a babysitter's house. I know you said you don't have anyone to watch her, but I didn't know if you meant you don't currently have one, or that you can't find someone to watch her.
I wish I had a better solution... Sitting her down with some toys like you have been sounds like the best option if you can't find anyone to watch her for an hour. But I know that doesn't eliminate the sharing issue and whining.
Good luck with the interviews!
meli829 02:41 PM 09-29-2010
Can you put a video on for her to watch maybe for most or part of the interview?

Or as the previous poster suggested maybe hire a babysitter to play with her or entertain her for the hour in another room.
grandmom 02:59 PM 09-29-2010
Or maybe feed her and the other child during the interview. Tell the parents ahead of time so they will be aware.

Hire a babysitter is the best solution. I remember having these interivews. Mine are adults now. But I know I lost customers because of it. Think of the babysitting cost as a cost of doing buisness.
MommyD 06:16 PM 09-29-2010
I do my first interview at the kitchen table. I let the families know that we eat dinner at X time, so I would be available at Y time (so they know food will be around). My daughter usually finishes supper during the beginning of the interview. I let the family know as they come, that she is still eating. Could this work for you, then she won't be hungry.

After she is done, you could have crayons and paper ready, so she is at arm's reach, but she has her work to do while you are doing your interview. If there is another child, then each child gets their own pile of crayons, no sharing issues.

I would let the potential family know that it will just be you and your daughter at the time you set up the interview, that way, they come prepared for interruptions too. You could give them the option of scheduling for another night when your husband could be home.

Good Luck!
DBug 05:19 AM 09-30-2010
I have had this problem on a few occasions, and then started making sure my husband would be home to watch the kids during the interviews. A few months ago, I figured my 10 year old might be old enough to keep an eye on my younger two during an interview, so I set them up with a movie in the basement. About half way through the interview, my 3 year old locked the basement door from inside, while the keys were down there with them. My oldest was too engrossed in the movie to hear me calling him, so my 3 year old stood crying on the other side of the door while i finished the interview! I had to call my husband (who was at a meeting) to come home early with the spare keys .

I didn't get that family, and needless to say, I won't be interviewing anytime soon without my husband or a babysitter watching the kids!

I would totally suggest that you interview on weekends or whenever hubby is available to watch your little one. It's important to be able to focus on the interview and on the prospective family.
GretasLittleFriends 06:24 AM 09-30-2010
I have always had little ones present during interviews. I haven't had an interview yet that has turned away. A few parents said it was nice for them to be able to see how I manage the children. Of course, my husband is gone quite often (OTR) so it's just not an option.

My most recent interview was with an infant and her parents. Well my daughter (who is now 5 months) saw me holding that baby and got a bit jealous (still does). My daughter ended up being held and played with along with their daughter the majority of the interview. Of course, my 6yr old boy needed this and needed that throughout.

I have just told each of my prospective clients that there will be children present who may need attending to, and it may take a little longer than expected for an interview. Being as they are parents they understand.
tenderhearts 07:23 AM 09-30-2010
I always had my kids around during interviews and alot of times even some daycare kids, I used to do them during the day when I had kids here most of the time (that was back when I didn't have as many kids), now I do first interview with no kids (mine are older now 13/18), I never had any issues with my kids. I liked having at least my kids interact with the potential "new" kid so they could kind of give me their feedback on the child as well.
I'm sure most people understand how a 2 yr old can be, but I think the other suggestions are good, giving them a snack or watching a little sing a long. Good luck on the interviews!!
MommyMuffin 09:13 AM 09-30-2010
Thanks for the great suggestions! I will have to try them out.
After much complaining my hubby told me his open house cancelled so he would help me out. Whew!! I know I will end up interviewing again without him though so these tips will come in handy. I am new at this and still very nervous during interviews. Thanks ladies!
Tags:interview
Reply Up