Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drinks All Day?
Kia 08:50 AM 04-20-2017
Just wondering, do you allow carrying sippy cups around all day? I have one who consumes the entire cup all at once and then asks for another and keeps me in the bathroom all day. She also says she has to go potty every time she gets bored with what we're doing. I'm going to limit drinks to 3 a day. Good choice?
finsup 08:56 AM 04-20-2017
Nope, I don't. Too many kids leaving them places and other kids drinking from them. Now I've got a kiddo who cannot have milk, if a kid had milk in their cup and he got it he'd throw up. Not what I want to deal with! I give milk/milk alternatives at breakfast and lunch and about 1/2 cup of water with snacks. Unless it's super hot out, then they bring water bottles outside but generally two full cups of milk at breakfast and lunch, and the water with snacks is more then enough!
AmyKidsCo 09:00 AM 04-20-2017
Nope! I have water bottles available for children beginning around 2 years old, but they have to stand by the counter to drink. The second time a water bottle wanders off it's put away until the next day. They figure it out pretty quickly!
Kia 09:00 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
Nope, I don't. Too many kids leaving them places and other kids drinking from them. Now I've got a kiddo who cannot have milk, if a kid had milk in their cup and he got it he'd throw up. Not what I want to deal with! I give milk/milk alternatives at breakfast and lunch and about 1/2 cup of water with snacks. Unless it's super hot out, then they bring water bottles outside but generally two full cups of milk at breakfast and lunch, and the water with snacks is more then enough!
Thank you. Just wanted to see if I was making a good decision. I'm constantly trying to get cups out of the wrong mouths.
Kia 09:03 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Nope! I have water bottles available for children beginning around 2 years old, but they have to stand by the counter to drink. The second time a water bottle wanders off it's put away until the next day. They figure it out pretty quickly!
My culprit also demands juice and throws a fit if she gets water. I caved at the beginning because she was my first one and I was just giving her what she gets at home but the other kids have water. Not fair. She's gonna be so mad at me. Lol
Baby Beluga 09:05 AM 04-20-2017
Another nope from me.

The children have spill proof water bottles that sit on the edge of my desk in our room. They can get a drink whenever they need to but they must stand by my desk to do it. No walking around with cups or water bottles. Milk is served at the table during meal times.

These same water bottles come outside with us. They sit on a picnic table and when a child wants a drink they stay by the table and drink. They are not allowed to walk around outside with cups.
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 04-20-2017
My DCK's don't even get sippy cups or water bottles at all.

I use regular cups with no lids for all ages.
Children are free to ask for a drink of water (no other options) any time during the day that they need one.

Other wise, it's milk at meal/snack time and periodic group water breaks through out the day.

I do not serve juice at any time for any reason.

We use child sized cups that are easy to manage for all ages. None are designated to any one person.
Ariana 10:09 AM 04-20-2017
They get cups of water at meal times and that is pretty much it, unless it is hot outside. When I worked at a centre we had to have water available at all times. So we had dixie cups in the bathroom but we all know how that went. Lots of kids going to the bathroom to get water "for fun".

In my opinion kids should be ok with getting water 3 times a day...again unless it is hot outside.
Kajada 11:06 AM 04-20-2017
We drink water all day. No juice at all and milk only if a family requests it - none have so far. Open cups at the table and sippy cups (the hard spouted kind, not straws) or water bottles the rest of the time. The cups and bottles stay on the kitchen table though; the kids don't carry them around. I drink so much water every day (and all night lol). I would have a really hard time being limited to 3 drinks a day, so I don't impose a limit on the kids.
AmyKidsCo 11:13 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Kia:
My culprit also demands juice and throws a fit if she gets water. I caved at the beginning because she was my first one and I was just giving her what she gets at home but the other kids have water. Not fair. She's gonna be so mad at me. Lol
If she's used to juice you could gradually wean her off juice by adding more and more water until it's all water. If you want to avoid the drama. IMO sometimes it's not worth the drama.
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Kajada:
I drink so much water every day (and all night lol). I would have a really hard time being limited to 3 drinks a day, so I don't impose a limit on the kids.
I drink TONS of water all day too but what I do and am allowed to do is different.
I am an adult and they are children.

I am also not potty training or newly trained so my liquid intake (and out put... lol!) are MY responsibility.
Ariana 11:54 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Kajada:
We drink water all day. No juice at all and milk only if a family requests it - none have so far. Open cups at the table and sippy cups (the hard spouted kind, not straws) or water bottles the rest of the time. The cups and bottles stay on the kitchen table though; the kids don't carry them around. I drink so much water every day (and all night lol). I would have a really hard time being limited to 3 drinks a day, so I don't impose a limit on the kids.
It is not limited to 3 drinks a day it is limited to it being served 3x a day. Each meal takes about 1/2 an hour or more to finish so they have access to as much water as they want in that time period. I have refilled cups 2-3 times at lunch or at snacks and have no problems doing it! Some kids choose not to drink anything and I remind them to drink at that time as well. Once they get into a routine they start drinking more at those times if they need it. We really don't need as much water as you think!
Kajada 11:57 AM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I drink TONS of water all day too but what I do and am allowed to do is different.
I am an adult and they are children.

I am also not potty training or newly trained so my liquid intake (and out put... lol!) are MY responsibility.
Fair enough! And I have to say the kids stop for a sip of water only once or twice betweens meals. It's really not much. If they were drinking several extra cups a day, I'm sure that I'd be 100% Team Hide the Water. Who has time for that many diaper changes?
daycarediva 12:59 PM 04-20-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Another nope from me.

The children have spill proof water bottles that sit on the edge of my desk in our room. They can get a drink whenever they need to but they must stand by my desk to do it. No walking around with cups or water bottles. Milk is served at the table during meal times.

These same water bottles come outside with us. They sit on a picnic table and when a child wants a drink they stay by the table and drink. They are not allowed to walk around outside with cups.
All of this except NO water bottles, color coded open top cups. They have a pitcher on their table to pour their own water in between meals.

Op, if the child is potty trained, do you HAVE to go into the bathroom with her?

and NO JUICE. EVER.
Pandaluver21 03:06 PM 04-20-2017
For licensing:
We are required to have milk at lunch (or milk alternative if a child can't have milk)
Juice is allowed 1 serving a day (though we don't offer it at all)
and water must always be offered and available all day.

Each child has their own cup- sippy cups (provided by parents) for younger children and "snackies" cups (provided by us) for older children. This cup is on a shelf throughout the day with water (occasionally with a small bit of flavoring added)

At lunch, milk is provided in regular open cups, or cups with straws/lids.

No age is allowed to carry cups around. They remain on the shelf and even the little ones figure it out
(we have ages 18m and up)
Pepperth 06:57 PM 04-20-2017
They can't walk around with cups here, but are welcome to ask for water at any point and drink it in the kitchen. No juice here ever unless I have an excess of fruit and we have a special day where we make juice. (Once every few months. My children go through too much fruit to have excess.)
trix23 07:11 AM 06-19-2017
I used to let kids have them wherever but then it would be a sippy cup scavenger hunt at pick up. So I now provide sippy cups (the 360 degree spout kind) and each child is assigned a color and I have 2 of each. I limit drinks to snacks, meals, and immediately after we come in from outside. All of them sit at the table and drink. I love it this way.
hwichlaz 07:18 AM 06-19-2017
regulations require access to water at all times

But I don't allow them to wander with them. Their cup stays on the counter and they stand right there to take a drink.
midaycare 10:33 AM 06-19-2017
I do the same. I have a ton of little cups. I got them from IKEA, I think. They've lasted me over 3 years so far.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DCK's don't even get sippy cups or water bottles at all.

I use regular cups with no lids for all ages.
Children are free to ask for a drink of water (no other options) any time during the day that they need one.

Other wise, it's milk at meal/snack time and periodic group water breaks through out the day.

I do not serve juice at any time for any reason.

We use child sized cups that are easy to manage for all ages. None are designated to any one person.

DaveA 12:02 PM 06-19-2017
I do water when we come in from outside. Any other time it's available for DCKs ask for. I don't do sippy cups either anymore.
racemom 03:47 PM 06-19-2017
We do only open cups, all ages. The dcks ask for water if the want, I give them a Dixie cup, and they stand by sink until done and throw it away. We have milk and water at lunch and snacks.
CityGarden 12:40 AM 06-20-2017
Originally Posted by Kia:
I'm going to limit drinks to 3 a day. Good choice?
I like children having access to water all day. We do water in open sturdy glasses at the table and we take water bottles to the park. Sometimes I am lazy and will allow them to use their water bottles inside but I try not to do that.

Where I live it is quite hot most of the year and I would rather they have too much water than risk dehydration.
Meeko 01:19 PM 06-20-2017
As much water as they want. But must be in the kitchen only and from an open cup. No sippies.
renodeb 03:54 PM 06-20-2017
Don't shun me but I use sippies. Each kid has a milk cup for meals and a water cup that I fill up each morning and they sip on through out. They get used to taking them outside with them each day. If I have any older kids they get open cups. I don't serve juice ever. I always thought kids don't get enough water on a daily basis.
Deb
bklsmum 04:01 PM 06-20-2017
I use sippies. Every child has their own color and I have two of each. I fill them throughout the day and we have a black tote bin we keep them in to take from place to place. They can have a drink right next to the tote and back in their cup goes. The only time the sippies are out of the tote is during meals.
debbiedoeszip 07:45 AM 06-21-2017
I wouldn't limit access to water. What I do is require that water cups stay on the dining table but allow them to go get a drink whenever they want one. That way there is no question about whether they are getting enough to drink but the cups aren't being dragged all over the playroom and dripping or spilling on the floor.
debbiedoeszip 07:50 AM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by renodeb:
Don't shun me but I use sippies. Each kid has a milk cup for meals and a water cup that I fill up each morning and they sip on through out. They get used to taking them outside with them each day. If I have any older kids they get open cups. I don't serve juice ever. I always thought kids don't get enough water on a daily basis.
Deb
I use sippies as well for children who are not yet school-aged. I experimented with having regular kid-sized cups outside and the water was being purposely poured out or stuff (rocks, toys, etc) and hands were going into the cups of water making them undrinkable. Lasted two days until I called it quits and went back to sippies indoors and out.
flying_babyb 10:47 PM 06-21-2017
we have a bubler but the kids still can ask for water when there in the classroom and its disposable cups (the 3 and up classroom has a bubler) and we take water bottles outside but there is no carrying cups around
Tags:sippy cups
Reply Up