Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 month old, 3oz of Breastmilk
proudmommyofthree 08:13 AM 03-13-2019
Hi, this is the same family I had issues with the hand foot and mouth incident a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, on Monday , I told mom that the baby ate homemade sweet potatoe, carrots, and zucchini (I make the baby food here) and she drank 4oz of milk. Mom flupped out and told me to not give the baby more than 3oz . At home she only drinks 2.4-2oz of milk max. When being fed by others. I’m sorry I think 4 oz is too little. I told Her she actually should drink 6-8 oz or what she wants. But I will not give the baby less. She insisted the baby is content with the 2.5-3oz. How do you guys feed your babies? On demand? I feed all my babies on demand when they want and as much as they want, granted I don’t over feed them. This is not the first parent that has told me to feed their babies less. I had a former client only wanting me to feed their baby 4oz every three hours, no more than 4oz and no less than 3 hours. What is with parents now adays 🤦*♀️I guess this was really a vent and not a question lol .
hwichlaz 08:36 AM 03-13-2019
Breast milk is 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour no matter what the age as the composition of the milk changes as baby grows. I'd do as mom asks and give the 3 ounces, then fill in the gaps with the solids afterward.
hwichlaz 08:38 AM 03-13-2019
https://www.motherlove.com/blog/view...rfeeding-your-
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 03-13-2019
I would not be willing to do it, either. My regs would not support it. Feeding 3 oz every two hours would only work if I was physically breastfeeding my own. I am required to offer (not make them take):

"8 months through 11 months

Breakfast: 6-8 fl. oz. breast milk

Lunch: 6-8 fl. oz. breast milk

Snack 2-4 fl. oz. breast milk "
happymom 08:52 AM 03-13-2019
I only ever fed my baby 4oz of breastmilk at a time. 4 bottles with 3oz each bottle when they were little, and 3 bottles of 4oz each bottle when they were bigger.

At 8 months old they also ate solids. No problems here. Never had a daycare that questioned it. We had backup milk in case something happened, but it never got used.
Ms.Kay 09:21 AM 03-13-2019
Had the same problem with my last infant family...had to send them packing. Good luck. I always feed until full for infants. Period.
nannyde 09:25 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not be willing to do it, either. My regs would not support it. Feeding 3 oz every two hours would only work if I was physically breastfeeding my own. I am required to offer (not make them take):

Yup

I never allow a parent to decide how much breast milk I give and when. I have them bring a jug of milk daily and I feed on demand as much as they want to fill their bellies. The guidelines above are spot on with my experience with that age group and the amount they drink with the exceptions of the ones who are nipple attached all night and drink all night long. They usually have less at the around 9 am feeding and then increase at pre nap and after nap.
happymom 10:29 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yup

I never allow a parent to decide how much breast milk I give and when. I have them bring a jug of milk daily and I feed on demand as much as they want to fill their bellies. The guidelines above are spot on with my experience with that age group and the amount they drink with the exceptions of the ones who are nipple attached all night and drink all night long. They usually have less at the around 9 am feeding and then increase at pre nap and after nap.
Sending in a "jug" is soooooo much easier than trying to prepare individual bottles! I did individual bottles with my first and a jug with my second and it made the whole experience so much easier!
nannyde 10:41 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
Sending in a "jug" is soooooo much easier than trying to prepare individual bottles! I did individual bottles with my first and a jug with my second and it made the whole experience so much easier!
Jug-o-milk
missmisty 12:17 PM 03-15-2019

Does this apply to formula fed babies as well? I have a 10 month old who is eating some solids but he was a delayed start with feeding so she doesn't send much with him (maybe 2-3 oz of pureed food) and doesn't want him fed ANY table food yet (she makes his food at home and sends what she wants him to be fed).

However - they only bring a small bottle and only want him to have 3 (3oz) bottles of formula. He is here for about 9.5 hours/day. This doesn't seem like nearly enough? He cries when the bottle is empty and if I don't give him more will cry until he cries himself to sleep. If I give another 3 oz (which I admit I do because I feel like he is still hungry) he will usually drift off without any issues once his tummy is full.

Is it awful that I give more than the parents want? My son was full on eating tablefoods at 10 months and he still drank at least 6-8 oz of formula a few times a day.
Cat Herder 12:54 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by missmisty:
Does this apply to formula fed babies as well?
Yes, it does.

I am also required to provide one brand of Iron Enriched formula since meals are written off on my taxes. Up to 12 months.

I offer formula until age two by choice. I give it in a cup at snacks as an extra component since milk is only required at meals.
Cat Herder 01:02 PM 03-15-2019
Originally Posted by missmisty:
Is it awful that I give more than the parents want?
I don't think so. Our regs started recommending offering formula since so many parents were watering it down, not offering enough or stopping too soon due to cost.

Iron-deficient anemia is a real problem in rural, mostly low-income areas like where I live.

The number of parents selling their WIC formula online for income is skyrocketing.
hwichlaz 04:20 PM 03-15-2019
my 5 month old drink 3 oz every 2 hours or 4 oz every 3 hours. Over the course of the 10 hours here she eats between 12 and 16 ounces. My FP is fine with me offering her less at a time because she eats more often. Basically she had her 6 ounce breakfast in two sittings...3 oz at 7am, and then the other 3 oz at 9am.
flying_babyb 05:56 PM 03-15-2019
print a state feeding guidelines chart?
like this
https://www.oregon.gov/ode/students-...%20English.pdf
Then tell her that these are the guidelines the state program uses and that you fallow when feeding infants unless they have a doctors note
amberrose3dg 06:20 AM 03-18-2019
I don't think so. Our regs started recommending offering formula since so many parents were watering it down, not offering enough or stopping too soon due to cost.

Iron-deficient anemia is a real problem in rural, mostly low-income areas like where I live.

The number of parents selling their WIC formula online for income is skyrocketing.
That is sad, poor babies.
Tags:breast milk, feeding infant, growth
Reply Up