Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastfeeding
Jo123ABC 12:59 PM 07-09-2020
What are your thoughts on a provider breastfeeding in front of clients and enrolled children?
Cat Herder 01:14 PM 07-09-2020
Breastfeeding in front of enrolled children makes perfect sense as they are there 10-12 hours per pay. I'd hope they'd cover up just a bit as I myself did. If nothing else than to limit awkward discussions with strangers.

Breastfeeding in front of parents seems something that can be planned around. I would not schedule my children's meals during drop-off and pick-up times. I breastfed three kids.
Former Teacher 02:11 PM 07-09-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
What are your thoughts on a provider breastfeeding in front of clients and enrolled children?
I might get alot of flack for this but...

In front of the children is one thing. Like Cat said, the children are there a LONG time. If I was a parent, I would prefer that the provider does it discreetly and cover up.

Clients/Parents (current and potential) are another thing. I just think that is unprofessional regardless if you cover up or not. Again like Cat said, you schedule feedings so you don't have to.

I like to read old threads and I am SO tempted to comment on them but I don't want to bring up a thread from 10 years ago

Anyway, the number of people who have said that they have breastfed during an interview (esp the ones that said they didn't cover up) astonished me. I get it's your personal home and all that. But I personally wouldn't want to a see (and no matter how you do it, there is ALWAYS a potential of showing something) a naked boob.

But that's just me
Jo123ABC 09:52 PM 07-09-2020
This is my third breastfed kid. I avoid nursing during pick up and drop off but I didn't get much of a maternity leave and you can't always plan feedings for a newborn. I've nursed in front of a parent once so far with a cover. I get irritated because they come and go as they please sometimes and don't always respect my schedule. It's whatever but my kid needs to eat too. I care for 8 of them and when the others are all fed breakfast mine should get to nurse too. I nurse in front of the kids (all under 5 except my daughter and niece) though I don't let it all hang out of course. I nurse, then move on. Just curious what people think and what other nursing mom providers do
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
Just curious what people think and what other nursing mom providers do
I had a drop-off window and a cut-off time. I breastfed after cutoff and before pick-ups. I don't let parents into my home during pick-ups and drop-offs, it is done at the door. If they need to see the playroom for comfort, they may ask. If it becomes a regular thing, they can leave.

I manage my program to meet my needs. I don't meet my needs around their wants.
Cat Herder 05:43 AM 07-10-2020
To add: I also welcome nursing moms to come breastfeed. They have a recliner, TV, blanket and guestroom to themselves.
Ariana 08:39 AM 07-10-2020
Breastfeeding is natural and normal and anyone who has an issue with it can go elsewhere!
DaveA 11:19 AM 07-10-2020
Not meaning to hijack, but it's kind of related. I've never had a nursing mother enrolled. If I did and they wanted to nurse here I don't have a problem with it. But I can't decide where would be the best spot. Since the living room next to the classroom isn't exactly private I have 2 options- Master Bedroom or downstairs family room. Both have tv, bathroom attached or next to it, and couch or chaise. On one hand I'm not sure I like the idea of letting parents in my bedroom. On the other the family room is right next to MIL's room. Considering her I can only imagine the drama that would cause.

I have next to no experience with this because only 1 center ever let me in the infant rooms. I was float & was in the room 1-2 times a week. I had a pair of DCMs who came over and nursed. 1 went to the next infant room when I was in the room and the other covered up (she did that regardless of if it was my day to be there).
Pandaluver21 11:42 AM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Not meaning to hijack, but it's kind of related. I've never had a nursing mother enrolled. If I did and they wanted to nurse here I don't have a problem with it. But I can't decide where would be the best spot. Since the living room next to the classroom isn't exactly private I have 2 options- Master Bedroom or downstairs family room. Both have tv, bathroom attached or next to it, and couch or chaise. On one hand I'm not sure I like the idea of letting parents in my bedroom. On the other the family room is right next to MIL's room. Considering her I can only imagine the drama that would cause.

I have next to no experience with this because only 1 center ever let me in the infant rooms. I was float & was in the room 1-2 times a week. I had a pair of DCMs who came over and nursed. 1 went to the next infant room when I was in the room and the other covered up (she did that regardless of if it was my day to be there).
I've always let them use the rocker in the nap room... if you have one.
DaveA 12:00 PM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I've always let them use the rocker in the nap room... if you have one.
Nope- kids nap in the classroom.
Jo123ABC 11:47 PM 07-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:

I wouldn't want anyone in my room either. I'd let them deal with MIL I hope I never have to deal with a parent nursing here. If I do though I have a playroom, nap room or my baby's room I'd probably use. My oldest was in a daycare I loved before I opened mine. She offered for me to nurse there but no way would I put my baby through that. My dropping in would just upset her I'm sure. I think parents need to leave their kids be at daycare unless they are picking up for the day.
knoxmomof2 02:30 PM 07-12-2020
I breastfed my 2.5 year old until 18 months and my last child is 6 months old and breastfed. I tell interviewing parents that I will be breastfeeding around their child, just in case they're not comfortable with it. I've never had a parent have an issue with it. When it's time to feed baby, I just do it. I wear nursing tanks, so I pull my shirt up and my tank / bra down so there's very little skin shown. If the older kids ask questions, I tell them that I'm feeding my baby. I explain that some babies get fed milk from a bottle and some babies get fed milk from their Mommy. It becomes old news after a bit.

On the other hand, I try my best not to breastfeed when a parent is picking up or dropping off. It has happened a few times. If baby is awake and near the end of a feed, I'll just unlatch them, set them down and answer the door. If they're on their way to sleep or just started nursing, I just have one of my teens open the door and handle the DCK while I'm standing over to the side of the doorway out of sight. I'll say, "hey, I'm feeding the baby, she had a great day" or whatever. They'll just say "okay, thanks. See you tomorrow."
Pestle 06:44 PM 07-13-2020
Families enter the house through the living room, which is shallow and wide, with the furniture grouped so that the seating and conversation area is at the far end, away from the cubbies and sign-in sheet. The daycare kids, once dropped off, don't have access to the living room, so I have let all breastfeeding moms know that they're welcome to use my settee if necessary. Nobody's ever taken me up on it, nor has anybody taken me up on cloth diapering, but I mention it during the interview just so they know I can accommodate them if necessary.
hwichlaz 10:18 AM 07-14-2020
Young infant feedings cannot and should not be scheduled. I'd make an attempt at discretion but babies don't always cooperate. IF a boob is sexual...a bottle is too since it's a fake boob

edited to add: any adult that has perverted or inappropriate thoughts about a woman feeding a baby probably shouldn't be anywhere near anyone's children anyway
DaveA 06:41 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Young infant feedings cannot and should not be scheduled. I'd make an attempt at discretion but babies don't always cooperate. IF a boob is sexual...a bottle is too since it's a fake boob

edited to add: any adult that has perverted or inappropriate thoughts about a woman feeding a baby probably shouldn't be anywhere near anyone's children anyway
You had my agreement till you made that statement. To go to if someone has a thought (not an action or treatment) toward an adult they are somehow now a danger to children is ridiculous. Yes- women feeding their child is natural and should not be discouraged or frankly even be noticed. But to go to "shouldn't be anywhere near anyone's children" is beyond judgemental. Things can serve multiple purposes. Women's breasts are for feeding & have a sexual component. There are whole industries built to both sides of that equation. To say someone who treats a client professionally but remembers the joke "Why are boobs like toy cars? They're built for the kids but it's the dads who plays with them!" shouldn't be around children is not something I'm going to say is a valid or good arguement.

One of the best teachers I used to work with a teacher was lesbian. She made my rather dark and inappropriate sense of humor look like Mr. Rogers. She used to tell me some jokes that made me blush. She would never be unprofessional or inappropriate to a client. But I'd bet that the next time she saw me after seeing a DCM she thought was cute (a favorite topic of hers to me to get me laughing or blushing) nursing would be to tell me she almost volunteered to be a taste tester. Was she a danger to children?

I know I'm coming down like a ton of bricks and I've tried to clean this up. But this tripped my "a$$hole switch" immediately. It hits too close to some of the crap I dealt with in centers from people who didn't want me around infants or even in the building because I happen to pee standing up.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 07-15-2020
I have to agree with Dave...

That statement is an odd correlation to make.
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 08-18-2020
I breastfed in front of my DCK but not in front of the parents. I wasn't shy about doing it around others in general, but didn't think it was professional to do in front of parents.
Jupadia 01:52 PM 08-18-2020
With my seconed I breast feed (for 5 months) and pumped (for 7 months) in front of the daycare kids. I'd cover up if a parent was comming in, detach baby or pumps. But the pumps I'd schedule around pick up times. Feeding I'd do as needed, but I'd have parents send a text if they were comming of schedule.
For me I had just little ones all under 4, a couple with newer young sibblings at home. I also had no issue with covering for parents personally I never felt comfortable breastfeeding in front of adult friends , there was no way I could have done it in front of clients.
Would have gone longer but hated pumping and he stoped feeding properly at 5 months. He became to distracted while eating, and there was no going into another room.
Tags:breastfeeding at work, breastfeeding in daycare, breastfeeding in public, business management
Reply Up