Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Use Funshine Express?
DaisyMamma 12:15 PM 08-13-2013
I'm planning on using Fireflies this school year. What do you like or not like about Funshine Express? What materials or supplements do you find yourself needing or buying?
Michael 12:22 PM 08-13-2013
More threads relating to Funshine Express: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...nshine+express
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I'm planning on using Fireflies this school year. What do you like or not like about Funshine Express? What materials or supplements do you find yourself needing or buying?
I used to use Funshine. I liked that all the crafts were prepackaged and that the teacher's book told you what other supplies were needed (but not included).

I also liked that the teacher book basically told you what to do for every day....even the coordinating books to get from the library etc..

One of the things I didn't like was that the Fireflies curriculum seemed really advanced for some of my preschoolers and that there was a lot of cutting involved and not all my older preschoolers can cut easily resulting in a few ruined pieces...

Most the crafts were simple and easy to do but "boxed" with a specific end result in mind. (Something I have learned to hate.)

I didn't like that I had to order it in multiples of two as I often had an odd number of kids. Plus, if you have say 6 kids and order for 6, you waste some of the stuff then if you don't have all 6 kids every day.... Either that or you order for less and then not have enough if you have an extra kid on certain days.

Eventually, I ended up just ordering the Butter Cups curriculum and using it for my preschoolers as it was all pre-cut and Butter Cups also seemed a bit more evenly matched with their developmental levels...NOT saying I had slower kids but Butter Cups just seemed a better fit for my 3 and 4 yr olds.

Now, I can't use Funshine, even if I wanted to as it isn't an approved curriculum for our state's star rating system.

Hope that helps answer a few of your concerns...
DaisyMamma 12:50 PM 08-13-2013
That does help. I was reading some old posts and it sounds like Buttercups is a good way to go as Fireflies seems like its for 4/5 age group. Thank you.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
That does help. I was reading some old posts and it sounds like Buttercups is a good way to go as Fireflies seems like its for 4/5 age group. Thank you.
Fireflies includes craft activities for 4-5 days a week, while Butter Cups only provides info for 3 days per week.....which in all honesty I think is all they really need.

The Fireflies stuff IS really aimed at the older preschoolers....they need to know how to cut and glue proficiently.

I'd start with Butter Cups if I were you and then if you think it isn't up to their developmental levels, you can always order the next months Fireflies.
DaisyMamma 01:06 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Fireflies includes craft activities for 4-5 days a week, while Butter Cups only provides info for 3 days per week.....which in all honesty I think is all they really need.

The Fireflies stuff IS really aimed at the older preschoolers....they need to know how to cut and glue proficiently.

I'd start with Butter Cups if I were you and then if you think it isn't up to their developmental levels, you can always order the next months Fireflies.
Yea, I think that's what I decided. I might order a Fireflies teacher and starter pack too.
3 days a week is perfect. Starting 8/26 I will only be open MWF
bunnyslippers 02:56 PM 08-13-2013
I used it for a few years. As I am now packing up my daycare, I am realizing just how many of the crafts I wasted because there were just too many steps or they looked to "pre-packaged" for my liking.

I am happy I saved all of the curriculum books for each month. There are a lot of very cute ideas in them...looking back, though...probably wouldn't have used it.
Tags:funshine express
Reply Up