Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child's Cup Leaks Like Crazy And Totally Drenched Child
trix23 06:41 AM 05-17-2017
The first few times it happened I thought it was a fluke accident or leaked over time as it sat. But then one day last week when DCG was in the kitchen, her bottle spilled all over while it was closed. I checked! It's the kind that let's air in through the bottom -a bottle. If a silicone piece isn't in just right, it can totally empty itself.

DCG got totally drenched. I'm just glad it happened in my kitchen versus the playroom. I told mom that she needs to get DCG a new cup ASAP but DCM said that the silicone thing must've come loose. I want DCG to have a new cup or I mauve need to buy one for her and charge double for it and bill the parent. Idk what to do in this situation.
Rockgirl 06:47 AM 05-17-2017
I provide cups here--I prefer all supplies to be mine, to avoid those situations.
LysesKids 06:58 AM 05-17-2017
I totally agree... I supply all small glasses, sippy cups and bottles; it's not hard to fresh make formula bottles or heat EBM and my littles learn how to drink their milk out of 3oz glasses by 18 months (meals only)
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 05-17-2017
I supply all cups and require 2 new in the box bottles for infants. They stay here and do not get passed back and forth from here to home. I do not use sippy cups at all.
daycarediva 07:40 AM 05-17-2017
I supply them, I would just give it back and buy my own to stay at daycare
bklsmum 07:55 AM 05-17-2017
I supply all cups and bottles, bowls, plates, flatware and even pacifiers. I do not allow the back and forth stuff and I like to have control over what gets used here because I know what works and what does not. I can also color code so everyone has their own and knows which is theirs.
sharlan 07:57 AM 05-17-2017
As the others have said, I keep everything here. Nothing goes back and forth.
trix23 08:00 AM 05-17-2017
Why do you supply your own? I don't want to have to wash all that in addition to the dishes I do here. It gets to be too much to clean and expense. Plus I figure that parents have a certain cup or bottle preference with their babies have and why not just keep that how it is?
Baby Beluga 08:03 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Why do you supply your own? I don't want to have to wash all that in addition to the dishes I do here. It gets to be too much to clean and expense. Plus I figure that parents have a certain cup or bottle preference with their babies have and why not just keep that how it is?
I prefer to wash mine here so I know it is clean and cleaned properly.

I once had a child bring in a cup from home and when I went to take it apart to wash it there was mold in the spout. Mom/Dad didn't know they were supposed to disassemble to cup to wash it.
Laurie 08:03 AM 05-17-2017
I also supply everything myself!! It's less frustration. Your situation is a perfect example.

Kindly return the cup to mom. Go buy the cups you'd like her to use and write it off on your taxes.
bklsmum 08:07 AM 05-17-2017
I prefer parents bring as little as possible into my house. I prefer to have the control. I don't have to worry about cleanliness or proper function or anything breaking that I would have to replace that is not my own. Plus multiple kids could come in with the same cup or bottle and that can get confusing.
LysesKids 08:09 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I supply all cups and require 2 new in the box bottles for infants. They stay here and do not get passed back and forth from here to home. I do not use sippy cups at all.
the only sippy's I use here are the miracle cups and they transition to the glasses starting 16 months; I don't supply bigger cups because all my kids age out at 18 months lol. Of course by that time they are also using forks and spoons on their own.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 05-17-2017
Dont you wash the bottles/cups after every use? What do children eat off of? I figure if your washing plates and silverware, adding cups shouldnt be that big of a deal. I would feel weird sending home dirty bottles anyway.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 05-17-2017
Liability.

I don't want sippy cups with Miralax, Tylenol or who knows what added and I don't want mold/cleaning issues.

Also, I don't like sippy cups for preschoolers that are perfectly capable of using a regular cup.

As for having to wash cups.... meh, I have a dozen kids every single day. It's not time consuming at all.

I would think it takes more time to keep track of who's cup is who's and who did or didn't remember to bring one each day.

I also recycle everything so most of our stuff is paper.
I have regular child size cups for lunch but snack and water breaks are toss away, recyclable paper cups.
trix23 08:18 AM 05-17-2017
You think parents might put meds and stuff in their cups? Have you had that happen before?
trix23 08:19 AM 05-17-2017
I also cook 2-3 meals a day, add so there are at least 2 loads of dishes a day. Fusssssss. Lol
childcaremom 08:20 AM 05-17-2017
You think parents might put meds and stuff in their cups? Have you had that happen before?
Yes.

When I first came to this board, I used to read the threads thinking that there were some crazy stories here. And then they happened to me.

Same reasons as above. I provide everything except diapers/wipes, changes of clothes and outdoor wear. I write off everything.
Baby Beluga 08:27 AM 05-17-2017
I also cook 2-3 meals a day, add so there are at least 2 loads of dishes a day. Fusssssss. Lol
Unfortunately, this is part of child care.

I do two loads of dishes per day. First load is breakfast/lunch dishes. I run the dishwasher after lunch, leave it open to air dry during nap and unload it while the children are eating PM snack. Second load is PM snack dishes and my own family's dinner dishes. I run that load overnight and unload it in the morning while the children are eating breakfast.

You'll find your groove
mommyneedsadayoff 08:33 AM 05-17-2017
For the very reasons you asked the original question. I get to control the type of cup, the cleanliness of the cup (sippy cups are rarely washed properly and will mold), and I also get control over what is in them. Even if a parent brought their own, I would dump the contents, because I have no idea what it is in that cup unless I fill it myself.
LysesKids 08:36 AM 05-17-2017
I keep one side of my 2 part sink filled with slightly soapy water & toss all meal dishes in there until naptime. I load a full dishwasher once a day & set on sanitize setting; I only have 4 babies but can easily use enough for 6 kids.

I have duplicates of each child's miracle cup (each has a different color) that way I don't have to wash immediately... one is the water cup, the other for meals (milk) and for bottles I have different colored lids too. As was said, it's to keep unknown meds from coming in a bottle & I know how they are cleaned and it's tax deductible
Leigh 09:19 AM 05-17-2017
Liability.

I don't want sippy cups with Miralax, Tylenol or who knows what added and I don't want mold/cleaning issues.

Also, I don't like sippy cups for preschoolers that are perfectly capable of using a regular cup.

As for having to wash cups.... meh, I have a dozen kids every single day. It's not time consuming at all.

I would think it takes more time to keep track of who's cup is who's and who did or didn't remember to bring one each day.

I have regular child size cups for lunch but snack and water breaks are toss away, recyclable paper cups.

Absolutely-liability is a huge issue! Plus, I've had kids show up with red Hawaiian Punch and Orange Tang drops in their cups (still have the spots on my carpet!), old milk...meds are definitely a possibility. I have seen the condition of the cups some kids drink out of at home and it is disgusting (black mold in the mouthpiece), cups full of juice that still have last night's milk in them...I don't need to see that! I DO wash a lot of cups, sippies and bottles, but all but the lids go in the dishwasher, and that makes it super easy. I much prefer that parents bring NOTHING to my house-I supply EVERYTHING (diapers, wipes, creams, food/formula, sunscreen, swimsuits). I just don't want to deal with parents forgetting to bring stuff, having them carry bugs into my house, bringing dirty things, etc.
daycarediva 09:23 AM 05-17-2017
Liability.

Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I do two loads of dishes per day. First load is breakfast/lunch dishes. I run the dishwasher after lunch, leave it open to air dry during nap and unload it while the children are eating PM snack. Second load is PM snack dishes and my own family's dinner dishes. I run that load overnight and unload it in the morning while the children are eating breakfast.

You'll find your groove
to all of this.

I've had parents try meds in the cup more than once.

I supply everything but clothes- and those I keep here and launder myself. I LOATHE keeping track and the back and forth is a PITA
Ariana 09:28 AM 05-17-2017
Agree with the others! It is so much easier if I supply it myself and it really isn't adding a ton more work for my dishwasher. I also throw out and replenish once they get really old. I also prefer less complicated sippys like the Rubbermain Litterless Juiceboxes for babies.

I had a mom bring in a sippy of meds at the centre where I used to work. We had a rule there not to bring in any outside food or drink and that is why!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:33 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

You'll find your groove
This is exactly me now I just got a dishwasher about a month ago and OH I am in love! I have hand washed for years. I do two loads a day. I supply everything but diapers and the clothes but yes, I was and put back in their cubby, so I tell parents to only dress in play clothes that can stay here.

I supply all formula and food so I don't want cups/ bottles from home because who knows what might be in them! I have also had parents bring icky cups with them and I refuse them in to my house.
finsup 10:05 AM 05-17-2017
I supply everything as well. Meds in a cup/bottle, seen it. Soda, juice etc in bottles, cups, etc...seen that too. And believe me it is NOT fun to dump a sippy of Pepsi out as the child hysterically freaks out because you won't let them have it. Between those issues, the liability, the spills, the 4 year olds who won't drink from a regular cup...yeah, I'll take extra dishes any day! Plus I use it as a selling point to parents "no dishes to do when you get home from work!" I don't even have a dishwasher (ok, I do, but it's storage for kid dishes lol) and time wise it's not so bad. I do dishes twice a day, takes maybe 10-15 minutes. I started out with parents providing everything and it was awful. I can definitely say the extra time washing dishes has more then compensated for the parent supply issues.
Jupadia 10:09 AM 05-17-2017
I have parents provide bottles to be left at daycare at least 2 each depending on age.

I provide take and toss sippy but require kids to sit with them while drinking by 15 months bit for meals they all use them. Ill couler code these fir each kid. Younger then that I'll provide one no spill cup used only for water while inside. I also use cups for those over 2.5. I make meals and snacks each day and don't have a dish washer. But don't find that doing them make s much diffrenence in time.
hwichlaz 01:48 PM 05-17-2017
I let parents supply bottles, but they stay here for me to wash, and unless a child is colicky I don't allow the kind that use lots of pieces, like Dr. Brown's.

We don't use spill proof cups at all, they are just as bad for their teeth as bottles are, they are just sucking on a nipple of a different shape. I use tupperware sippers, and they use them in the highchairs or at the table only. Once they master that, I remove the lids.
trix23 08:41 AM 05-19-2017
So for those of you who supply cups, do you allow parents to provide milk or juice or any other thing? Or do you only allow water? I'm talking about children no longer eating breastmilk or formula
finsup 08:48 AM 05-19-2017
So for those of you who supply cups, do you allow parents to provide milk or juice or any other thing? Or do you only allow water? I'm talking about children no longer eating breastmilk or formula
No. All food and drinks is provided. The only way I allow a parent to bring something is as a treat for the whole group. Kids here get water at snacks, or outdoors when it's hot and milk at breakfast and lunch. Keeps it simple
LysesKids 09:01 AM 05-19-2017
Nope, I provide everything; we don't juice here, only water & milk... the babes get whole fruit for snacks & meals. On super hot days I sometimes sub chilled Coconut Water for regular water, but it's not the norm
Baby Beluga 09:06 AM 05-19-2017
I supply everything unless a parent wants their child to drink a milk alternative, then they supply that. So far I have two bringing milk, one brings almond and the other brings organic. The containers must be sealed and closed upon bringing them to me.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 05-19-2017
Milk is served for lunch and snack only.
I provide all food and drink.
Water is served all other times.

Parents supply breast milk only.
I provide formula.
bklsmum 09:36 AM 05-19-2017
I supply everything except breast milk, special formula and special milk. We do milk at breakfast and water the rest of the time. If we have a party we might do juice for the special occasion but usually just water.
Annalee 09:42 AM 05-19-2017
If a parent wants to bring another type of milk, they provide me with a doctor note. Otherwise, they drink what I serve....milk for meals, water all other times.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:11 AM 05-19-2017
Milk is served for lunch and snack only.
I provide all food and drink.
Water is served all other times.

Parents supply breast milk only.
I provide formula.
This except I do milk breakfast and lunch. Water all other times
ColorfulSunburst 11:33 AM 05-19-2017
I do the same an I have not a dishwasher(100yo house)

and I do not see any issue to wash cups.

Just look at it: you already spent much more time around the problem then is necessary for washing a cup.

My parents provide a kid everyday , diapers (as necessary), and sunscreen (one time per year). That's it.
AmyKidsCo 12:54 PM 05-19-2017
I supply them because 1. It's a tax write-off. 2. I can choose the style and size I want to provide (and can make sure they don't leak) 3. It's good marketing to say I provide all that stuff so parents don't have to. 4. I started out in FCC when my kids were small so I had all that stuff already anyway.

Liability.

Holy cow, I'm pretty cynical but I didn't even think of meds in cups from home! The closest I've gotten is a 3 yr old bringing her "coffee" (iced tea) in the morning.

Ditto preschoolers and sippys. Plus toddlers with ginormous cups full of milk.

I provide milk at breakfast and lunch, and water in between and at snack. We only have juice for special holiday celebrations.
Jupadia 01:32 PM 05-19-2017
I supply water for snacks (×2) and in between as well as milk for lunch.
If parents want a milk alternative they bring it. (One currently brings lactosse free) parents supply formula if needed (though I have yet to get any young enough to be on formula long since I get them around a year old).
Josiegirl 02:16 AM 05-20-2017
Parents supply baby bottles, formula(if they don't like what I offer) and diapers, clothes, sunscreen and bug repellent, I supply everything else.

Granted, I only have 6 kiddos but I cannot imagine trying to keep everyone's cups out of the hands of others, etc.
Tags:bottles, cups, dope and drop, drinking too much milk, food from home, food from outside, sippy cup, spill
Reply Up