Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lost Control of Class Again
Newteach 09:18 PM 07-26-2018
I'm a new toddler teacher at a center (started late may) and have only recently gotten control of my classroom, gotten them to learn how to pick up their toys without crying, and pick less fights with each other. Well, last week, I had these twin girls join my class and the entire dynamic has shifted! The girls dump their food on the floor at lunch time, spill their milk when they are done with it, hit the other students, leave toys all over, and scream a lot. It's also become hard to do any project because let's say we are painting that day, before, I could monitor the kids painting and it would be fine, an occasional, "don't put the brush in your mouth" but it wouldnt be too bad. Yesterday I tried painting and it was a huge mess paint all over all the kids LOL.
They are very sweet girls in personality, I just don't think they've been taught any better. The worse part is, that all the other toddlers have joined in, none of them will pick up their toys, so the room is constantly a mess. They have picked up other habits, like screaming and fighting each other.

The two children in the class who moved up to preschool- were one of those really helpful, independent type children, so they rubbed off positively on the smaller toddlers in the class so that really helped to make the class easier to work with.

What can I do to teach the new girls, and redirect my class again?
Michael 02:26 AM 07-27-2018
Welcome to the forum. Here are some threads on redirection: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=redirection
Cat Herder 05:00 AM 07-27-2018
Originally Posted by Newteach:
What can I do to teach the new girls, and redirect my class again?
You could try:

1. Minimize the number of toys out at any one time.
2. Do art in small groups, separating the twins.
3. Have twins sit at different tables at lunch or at least apart.
4. Assign small groups to timed centers, twins in different groups.
5. Increase outdoor/Large muscle group time.

My goal would be to have the girls become part of the greater group, instead of the duo leading the group. Yes, I have had 4 sets, now. Birth to 6.
Newteach 10:33 AM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You could try:

1. Minimize the number of toys out at any one time.
2. Do art in small groups, separating the twins.
3. Have twins sit at different tables at lunch or at least apart.
4. Assign small groups to timed centers, twins in different groups.
5. Increase outdoor/Large muscle group time.

My goal would be to have the girls become part of the greater group, instead of the duo leading the group. Yes, I have had 4 sets, now. Birth to 6.
According to licensing I HAVE to have all toys out unfortunately, but I will try the rest of your tips. Thank you
Pestle 04:58 PM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Newteach:
According to licensing I HAVE to have all toys out
Wait, what? Does your classroom only keep the minimum number of toys per child? You don't rotate toys out?
flying_babyb 06:22 PM 07-28-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Wait, what? Does your classroom only keep the minimum number of toys per child? You don't rotate toys out?
Our center is the same way;
x kinds of blocks must be out
x kinds of science items
x kinds of housekeeping area items
x amount of books.
We are not allowed to take ANY item out of the room without replacing it right away
Newteach 11:21 AM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
No we have to keep all the toys our because the kids are supposed to learn how to play with them correctly
Tags:classroom management, overwhelmed, redirection, twins
Reply Up