Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Aged Kids for the Summer - Pen Pals
284878 07:03 PM 05-21-2019
For those that have school-aged kids in the summer, what do you have them do during naps?

I will have my dd home and a SA DCB here a few days a week. I will also have 3 toddlers and a baby. I was thinking about having the SA sit in the laundry room during nap time, I know an odd place but they will be in view of me but not the kids napping in the living room.

Have them read to each other for at least 30 minutes and then switch to quite activities. (I don't allow screen time.)

Ideas for summer-long projects that they can work on weekly?

Is anyone interested in having summer penpals? PM me
DD is 7 going into the 2nd grade, DCB is 5 turning 6 this summer going into the 1st grade.
storybookending 07:09 PM 05-21-2019
I don’t take school aged kids for extended periods but I just wanted to say I love the pen pals idea!
flying_babyb 08:57 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by 284878:

Ideas for summer-long projects that they can work on weekly?

Is anyone interested in having summer penpals? PM me
DD is 7 going into the 2nd grade, DCB is 5 turning 6 this summer going into the 1st grade.
YEP! I did a county a week. Each day was a different lesson. I made a passport and they had to complete activities each day and got a stamp at the end of the week. I did a prize at the end of the week (cook a desert from the country, make a pinata ect). Monday was usally coloring the flag and learning something about the country, Tuesday was learning about their food (and a simple food project), Wednesday was art from the county, Thursday was music, and Friday was fun day (usually a project that was fun, or letting them "teach" the littles about there country.) We would also watch postcards from buster (pbs) on the country or state we were working on. Youtube provided some of the counties music and culture
284878 03:09 AM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
YEP! I did a county a week. Each day was a different lesson. I made a passport and they had to complete activities each day and got a stamp at the end of the week. I did a prize at the end of the week (cook a desert from the country, make a pinata ect). Monday was usally coloring the flag and learning something about the country, Tuesday was learning about their food (and a simple food project), Wednesday was art from the county, Thursday was music, and Friday was fun day (usually a project that was fun, or letting them "teach" the littles about there country.) We would also watch postcards from buster (pbs) on the country or state we were working on. Youtube provided some of the counties music and culture
My DD gets passport, her great aunt got it for her. This year, that is what she is learning, each month is a different country.

But that sounds like fun.
Tags:school aged care, school-age summer camp, summer camp
Reply Up