Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Preschool Assessment

I am supposed to have a new preschool boy staring in a few days. He will be going to kindy this fall. I am wanting to assess where he is at right now since he doesn't go to any preschool so I know where to start with him. He is 4, so older than most I would start preschool with. Does anyone know of or have an assessment they would share?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I am supposed to have a new preschool boy staring in a few days. He will be going to kindy this fall. I am wanting to assess where he is at right now since he doesn't go to any preschool so I know where to start with him. He is 4, so older than most I would start preschool with. Does anyone know of or have an assessment they would share?
What kind of information do you want to know? Just if he's on target for his age?

Also, whole child or purely academics? I have a ton that I use. If you pm me your email, I can send you a few examples.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Mainly I guess I am wanting to make sure I do my part to have him ready for kindy. And I feel like I don't have much time.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Okay. I will email you what I have after the kids leave for the day.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Redleaf press has a good one. 10 individual booklets (for 10 kids) for $16.00. It's called Redleaf Family childcare curriculum developmental assessment.

Can you find out what your school district expects for entering kindergarten children?

Also, I googled Standards and benchmarks for preschool children in Ohio and their department of education site came up and it gives Ohio benchmarks for children 3-5 yrs. I'd use this.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Redleaf press has a good one. 10 individual booklets (for 10 kids) for $16.00. It's called Redleaf Family childcare curriculum developmental assessment.

Can you find out what your school district expects for entering kindergarten children?

Also, I googled Standards and benchmarks for preschool children in Ohio and their department of education site came up and it gives Ohio benchmarks for children 3-5 yrs. I'd use this.
Thanks I will look that up! I have thought of calling the school when it starts back up and see if they have a kindergarten packet of some sort.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

I use Desired Results assessment tool, it assesses every domain, is accepted by our Parent Aware rating system, and IS FREE! You can google desired results to find it.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:30 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I would look at your Department of Education's website. They usually have standard broken down into four sections (math, social and emotional, language and literacy, and motor skills). You can just observe him, go down the list and Mark off the thing you see he has mastered. Make up activities for the things he needs to work on. You can use Pinterest. I it. Another great website is teacherspayteachers.com. It also has assessments.
Here is a link to Ohio's Department of Education. http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Ear...tent-Standards
Good luck!

Tags
assessment, preschool