Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spring Break Question/Teacher Families WWYD?
momofboys 06:17 PM 02-16-2013
I will try to make this quick - I have 2 teacher families (my only families). Both families have the same spring breaks but it is a different week than my own kids' (theirs is 3/25-3/29 & my kids' break is 4/1-4/5). I am closed part of my boys' break (april 1-3). I do not get paid for days I close & I thought that neither teacher would choose to send their kids over their own spring break (since I don't charge for it) but based on one family's behaviors (sending on no school days, etc) I am fairly certain they will send their child everyday or almost everyday, not that there is anything wrong with this but I was planning on having no one that week to get things done around the house (just assumed they wouldn't send because they are off work anyway) prior to my own kids being off. So is there a tactful way to say 'keep your child home' lol????! They are not working so it shouldn't be a problem OR is the only way to get this time for myself is to actually be "closed"??? WWYD? Tks
butterfly 06:24 PM 02-16-2013
If you don't charge for when they aren't there, I would just say I was closed to be sure that they won't show up.
momofboys 04:22 AM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If you don't charge for when they aren't there, I would just say I was closed to be sure that they won't show up.
Thank you! I think this is what I will do - there are some exceptions where I do charge.(sick days, any short notice day off), but this isn't one of them. Anyone else have a suggestion?
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 02-17-2013
I think you should just let DCM know ahead of time that since she is already off of work, you made plans with family and will NOT be available to care for her.

If she has other plans and needed someone to watch her child(ren) then but isn't working, it is a prefect time for her to call on family members to step in and help her out. Ideally, your services should only be required when she needs to work.

If she persists and says she really needs you, just say no. Tell her it works in everyone's best interests since you have teacher families and taking time to yourself during Spring Break puts the least amount of people out so too bad so sad!

I wouldn't ask her, I would just tell her you are not available to provide care during that time. peridod.
MsCathy 05:51 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:

I completely agree. My DCP never seem to mind if I close and say "payment will not be required..."
MissAnn 09:09 AM 02-19-2013
I stay open and they pay. Most don't bring their child. Some bicker amongst each other and somehow I get wind of it. Life goes on.
canadiancare 09:14 AM 02-19-2013
I am open all but 2 of the days (I always take the Thursday, Friday off). They pay me for the first 3 but not the 2 I am closed. Usually they come anyway and the parents do stuff with older siblings, run errands etc.

If you intend to close and not expect payment then you need to let them know but, I think it is perfectly reasonable to do so.
SquirrellyMama 10:38 AM 02-19-2013
You could also only close for a couple days of their Spring Break if they really want to bring their kids. It might be a good compromise.

K
Reply Up