Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>?? About Being a Day Care Assistant
Justaweavin 07:54 PM 11-30-2008
I live in Michigan and I have a few questions:

I have been working in a day care for 2 1/2 years. We have 12 children and licensed for them. I have all my training hours including my CPR/first aid. I work from 9 to 4 - 5:30p, 5 days a week (when needed)

My question is: What is the average pay that you pay your assistants? When there is a fill in, they are paid the same as I am and do not do as much work as I do. When you close for the holidays, do you compensate your assistant? Is there any compensation for the day that she's called in the a.m. and told she isn't needed that day?

I understand that a day care provider depends on this income.... and the parents pay for sick days/ holidays no matter what. I depend on this money too...

confused and frustrated day care assistant
barrelofmonkeyschildcare 02:34 PM 11-20-2010
I am wondering this as well. TY
DCMom 07:59 AM 11-21-2010
When I had an assistant, I paid her $10.00/hour.

Her hours were 9-4 daily; since I am paid whether the child is here or not, she worked everyday unless I was closed. Basically, if I was closed for paid day, she was paid. If I was not paid, she was not paid. I thought that only fair. If she didn't work by her own choice, I didn't pay her. I did pay her substitute the same hourly rate (if I could find one on short notice).

I hope this answers some of your questions
momofsix 11:36 AM 11-21-2010
Originally Posted by Justaweavin:
I live in Michigan and I have a few questions:

I have been working in a day care for 2 1/2 years. We have 12 children and licensed for them. I have all my training hours including my CPR/first aid. I work from 9 to 4 - 5:30p, 5 days a week (when needed)

My question is: What is the average pay that you pay your assistants? When there is a fill in, they are paid the same as I am and do not do as much work as I do. When you close for the holidays, do you compensate your assistant? Is there any compensation for the day that she's called in the a.m. and told she isn't needed that day?

I understand that a day care provider depends on this income.... and the parents pay for sick days/ holidays no matter what. I depend on this money too...

confused and frustrated day care assistant

Do you have a contract with the day care provider? These are all fair questions in my mind, and should be answered in a contract you have with her. If you don't have a contract, are you comfortable enough with her to just let her know you'd like holiday/sick pay? I think she should be open to it if she gets it from the parents. She should write up a contract answering all your questions, along with things like job expectations and termination/quitting protocal (like 2 weeks notice).
When I had an assistant ( my daughter) I did not pay her for days I was closed, because I myself don't get paid either. If I did, it would only seem fair to pay her too. I paid her 1/2 of whatever my pay was on the days she worked.
marniewon 02:03 PM 11-21-2010
I can't really help you with most of it, because I "hired" my teenage sons and pay them very little but as far as compensation for holidays/vacation days, etc, if I'm getting paid, they get paid. If I'm not getting paid, they don't get paid. I guess I do give them sick days (paid) also.
Abigail 11:09 PM 11-21-2010
I get paid $8.00 an hour. I'm CPR and First Aid certified and take classes on child care because I eventually want to open my own. I don't get paid unless I'm "on the clock" and working. No holiday pay or sick pay or vacation time, etc. It's pretty much minimum wage and a job.
Tags:assistant
Reply Up