Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unemployment?
KEG123 07:15 AM 12-29-2012
I'm guessing no, but can daycare providers get unemployment? As I've stated elsewhere on the site, I have 2 daycare kids an 1 has her last day friday. I JUST split with the ex and moved out so money was tight before the news of this little girl leaving. I'm going to drive around today or tomorrow and see if I can hang fliers at some places... but I was wondering if it was possible for those who are self employed to get any sort of unemployment or any other cash assistance programs until I fill my last spot? We're already on food stamps and medicaid, and I've been advertising for a while (then stopped when I moved) to fill my morning spots to no avail. I'd call the DHS office, but a. it's Saturday, and b. They literally NEVER answer the phone. I can call 20 times and maybe get through 1 time. Le sigh. I'm just super stressed and trying to find the bright side of this.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 12-29-2012
I am so sorry that the year is ending (and starting) so stressfully for you.

I don't think that self-employed people are allowed to collect unemployment. I believe unemployment is something an employer or individual pays into and that is how there is funding for the worker to collect. Since a self-employed person never paid into any fund, there is no money for you to draw from.

I am not positive but am pretty sure it works something like that.

I do think though that you would probably qualify for cash assistance if you are already receiveing food stamps/medicaid. Does your worker have a direct line so you can call her directly and not have to go through the main DHS numbers? Is there a website for your county?

Ours has all the forms to apply for any assistance on the web site so people can just print them and fill them out and drop them off without having to talk to anyone first.

Sending some good thoughts and prayers your way so that you make it through this tough time.
MyAngels 08:59 AM 12-29-2012
According to the IDES website (http://www.ides.illinois.gov/default.aspx) it doesn't look like you'd qualify as a self-employed person.

Maybe you could qualify for WIC? http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/

I'm sorry things are not going well for you. I hope the new year brings new good things your way .
KEG123 09:05 AM 12-29-2012
I do get wic also, which does help, for food. Food we're fine on because of the food stamps... but the cash is going to be my problem until I find a children to fill my open spots.

As for calling my caseworker direct, I don't have any paperwork at the moment telling me who my worker is/what their extension number is. I guess starting Monday I will have to call and find out if there are any additional options for me through the state.

And to add to the problem, my ex doesn't have a job, so no help there. It's all me.
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 12-29-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I do get wic also, which does help, for food. Food we're fine on because of the food stamps... but the cash is going to be my problem until I find a children to fill my open spots.

As for calling my caseworker direct, I don't have any paperwork at the moment telling me who my worker is/what their extension number is. I guess starting Monday I will have to call and find out if there are any additional options for me through the state.

And to add to the problem, my ex doesn't have a job, so no help there. It's all me.
Another idea, maybe you could call your utility companies ahead of time and ask if you can get on some sort of budget billing where they will work with you during this time.

I am just thinking about when daycare parents have a hard time, I prefer that they come to me before they are behind so I can work with them. I was thinking the same might be true for your utility companies and maybe your housepayment or insurance providers.

I don't know how many can or would be willing to work with you but it seems like it might be worth a try and atleast being proactive whether it works or not.

Do you have an Energy Assistance program that can help with heating costs? I would apply for that right away.

How about your church? Do you belong to a church? A lot of churches have emergency funding for parishoners in need. You could also try and contact Salvation Army, Red Cross and your local Luthern Social Services. Many of those organizations offer financial assistance to people in need.

Can you advertise to do some short term babysitting for New Years? Our Craig's List has tons of ads looking for caregivers for New Year.
MyAngels 09:30 AM 12-29-2012
This program could help with utilities if you qualify: http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1556

Maybe you could find something part-time in the evenings and while your ex watches the kids?
KEG123 12:30 PM 12-29-2012
I've also applied for that program, or one similar. They say it could take up to 40 days for the account to be credited. Every little bit helps. Thanks for the ideas. It's just, rent is 650 a month and I'll only have 1 daycare kid until I fill some spots. Meaning. 135 a week x 4= 540. I just hope I fill it asap... though I've had my ad up (on CL) for almost a week and no bites. Tomorrow I will be going to hang a few fliers.
CrackerJacks 03:09 PM 12-29-2012
I'm in CA, and I pay into what is called Elective Coverage. Which covers disability, family leave and unemployment I believe. But you have to be already paying into it for *** amt of months before filing a claim.
CrackerJacks 03:12 PM 12-29-2012
Whoops, I actually think it doesn't cover unemployment, just disability..sorry
Reply Up