Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD - Parent asks for refund :(
JustMe 07:06 AM 01-24-2013
So to start off, let me say that this is entirely MY FAULT for not including something in the contract about ending care from the beginning. Our contract stated that it was $xx per week regardless of attendance, as they were paying by the slot.

DCM would pay for care the friday before the week began. They normally attended 4x per week. Their last week in care, dcm kept them home the first 2 days because of an issue on her end, I watched them the 3rd day, during which dcm decided to quit her job with no notice, then notified me at pick-up that she didn't need me anymore. I offered to watch her kids the following day so she could do whatever, as I had already been paid, but she declined.

I should note that dcm and I knew each other outside of daycare and are on friendly terms. Part of the reason why she quit her job was that she had mentioned that she was considering it, but she didn't want to leave me in a bind financially, and I told her something like, "don't worry about it, do what's best for your family, and if you guys end up leaving I may decide not to do daycare right now." She took that as a sign and quit that day.

A few days later she emails me asking if she could get a refund, as her kids only attended 1 out of the 4 days they had been scheduled for. Financially it puts me in a very tough spot. I know they are struggling too, however. I have already decided what I will do, but I was wondering what others would do in this scenario.
crazydaycarelady 07:12 AM 01-24-2013
If you give a refund it should only be for the 4th and 5th day because up until the end of the 3rd day everything was status quo - you were still planning on them and available for them to bring their kids.

I think a reasonable person would just be done and not ask for a refund - sheesh!
NeedaVaca 07:15 AM 01-24-2013
Nope, they were paying for the slot and you were available all week. I wouldn't refund. I notice you say they are struggling too, well then why did she quit her job? I understand you are friends which would possibly make this a tricky situation for you but I would not refund and I would also expect 2 weeks notice. It's not really fair of her to do this to you with no notice and then want her money back on top of it!
itlw8 07:17 AM 01-24-2013
I would say no refund but if you want to stay friend refund The one day but say. I will refund you 1 day but I do not have the money right now. So I will pay you when I can. make weekly payments if you need to.
KEG123 07:17 AM 01-24-2013
Nope. In my contract it states two weeks notice must be given and paid for, regardless of days attended.
crazydaycarelady 07:18 AM 01-24-2013
I don't think she can ask for 2 weeks notice since it is not in her contract - but OP I would add that to your contract.
countrymom 07:19 AM 01-24-2013
nope she paid for 4 days, but the first 2 days she kept them home (they could have been sick for all you know) the 3rd day she brings them and then tells you that she quit her job. she still had one more day that she paid for, it was her choice wether or not to bring them. So I wouldn't give back the money.
JenNJ 07:19 AM 01-24-2013
No, I would keep the money because she gave zero notice. If you have nothing as far as notice in the contract, I would just say that no refunds are given since she booked them the entire week.

It isn't being mean to say, "Hey XX, I was prepared for your kids to be here all week. I bought the necessary supplies and food expecting them to be here. I understand that you quit your job, however I don't offer refunds on monies paid. Per our contract, I do not require a notice period, but I also do not refund for unused days. Thanks!"
Blackcat31 07:24 AM 01-24-2013
Once some one reserves or schedules certain days, they become unavailable for anyone else to use so I wouldn't refund.

If you don't have a rule about a 2 week notice then you are out any money for that but I certainly don't think that means the DCM is entitled to a refund for days she already reserved with you....even if she didn't actually use them.

At the VERY least, I might (well I wouldn't even consider it) but you could consider refunding for any days she paid for AFTER she told you she quit but not for the first 2 days of the week....no way.
countrymom 07:40 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Once some one reserves or schedules certain days, they become unavailable for anyone else to use so I wouldn't refund.

If you don't have a rule about a 2 week notice then you are out any money for that but I certainly don't think that means the DCM is entitled to a refund for days she already reserved with you....even if she didn't actually use them.

At the VERY least, I might (well I wouldn't even consider it) but you could consider refunding for any days she paid for AFTER she told you she quit but not for the first 2 days of the week....no way.
remember, don't let her financial problem become your financial problem.
Crazy8 07:41 AM 01-24-2013
nope, would not refund. She paid you the friday before for you to be available for the 4 days the following week - that slot was theirs to use - the fact that they only used 1 day is not your problem.

If she hadn't quit her job and was out sick 2 days, came back one day and then was out sick the 4th day would you refund???? I don't think its any different that she quit her job - you were still available and the spot was theirs up until that day.

Lesson learned - add a 2 week notice policy to your contract and specify that refunds will not be given.
Loveyoustinkyface 07:44 AM 01-24-2013
I agree, I would not refund! No way! If you lose a friend over the deal then so be it- this was a business deal she "dropped the ball" on.
daycaremum 07:56 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by :
Our contract stated that it was $xx per week regardless of attendance, as they were paying by the slot.
This is from the OP's original post. I think she answered her own question.
daycare 08:02 AM 01-24-2013
All I have to say is get a termination notice in your contracts. Most providers require a 2 weeks written notice, some 30 days.

If this were me, I would highlight the part of your policy that stated $xx per week regardless of attendance, and let her know there will be no refund.

BUT I am also one that if you are just starting out in the biz and don't want to rock the boat, I would just give it back.
canadiancare 09:13 AM 01-24-2013
I wouldn't refund any money for the week- even without a contract. The implication is that the space is reserved for that child and you would be unable to fill it on such short notice. There is no reason for you to be out of pocket for this- unless the friendship is more important to you than the day's pay.
My3cents 09:27 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by JustMe:
So to start off, let me say that this is entirely MY FAULT for not including something in the contract about ending care from the beginning. Our contract stated that it was $xx per week regardless of attendance, as they were paying by the slot.

DCM would pay for care the friday before the week began. They normally attended 4x per week. Their last week in care, dcm kept them home the first 2 days because of an issue on her end, I watched them the 3rd day, during which dcm decided to quit her job with no notice, then notified me at pick-up that she didn't need me anymore. I offered to watch her kids the following day so she could do whatever, as I had already been paid, but she declined.

I should note that dcm and I knew each other outside of daycare and are on friendly terms. Part of the reason why she quit her job was that she had mentioned that she was considering it, but she didn't want to leave me in a bind financially, and I told her something like, "don't worry about it, do what's best for your family, and if you guys end up leaving I may decide not to do daycare right now." She took that as a sign and quit that day.

A few days later she emails me asking if she could get a refund, as her kids only attended 1 out of the 4 days they had been scheduled for. Financially it puts me in a very tough spot. I know they are struggling too, however. I have already decided what I will do, but I was wondering what others would do in this scenario.
Seeing how it is a friend and you probably want to preserve your friendship. I would give her half the refund and tell her that you had counted on that money and used it. If your going to be serious about doing daycare from here on out, I suggest you get a contract, policy, handbook together.

Good luck
JustMe 09:28 AM 01-24-2013
I refunded her for 1 day. I considered it that she had terminated care on the third day, so the 4th day she was no longer under contract. I really didn't want to, but the whole situation made me very uncomfortable. If I had been in her shoes, there is no way that I would have asked for a refund. But this woman was always nice, respectful, and easy to deal with, so I am taking the loss as part of my "education," lol.
My3cents 09:37 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by JustMe:

I read fast and missed the part that you had a contract. No I would not refund her the money. You were there. I would not tell my friend ever what I highlighted in red above. Depending upon how good of a friend this is to you, and all the situations into consider can decide if you want to help her out- but if your a business women then you should present as a business and not be wishy washy. Most will advice don't do daycare for friends and family and keep it all business, many times it does not work out and you end up loosing a friend. If your just splashing around in the pool of daycare and not serious about this as your profession then maybe consider how much your friendship is worth-

Best-
wdmmom 09:44 AM 01-24-2013
I specifically have it worded in my contract:

Absences on one day do not allow you to use more daycare hours on any other day. Children can not attend daycare on an unscheduled day to make up for a missed scheduled day.

1 calendar month is required to cancel services. Notices must be in written or typed on paper and given to daycare personnel.

Any unused accrued vacation, personal time and holiday pay will be owed to the daycare will be calculated at the end of the contract. Parents are required to pay a full months payment at the time notice is given.

You need to not only keep the money she paid but change your policies to require NOTICE and make them pay in advance through the notice time.

You said it yourself...they're paying for the slot, not per day.

She paid for the slot, you were available for services. End of story.
Reply Up