Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool Transportation...What to Charge?
Indoorvoice 05:01 AM 05-31-2016
I have a full time dcg who will be attending preschool with my dd 2 times a week for 2.5 hours and I will be transporting. I'm thinking of just charging her the same full time rate since it's still quite a bit of work to get them all packed into the car and into school. Or should I charge less because she won't be with me 5 hours a week?
bklsmum 05:15 AM 05-31-2016
I not only charge the regular rate, I also charge a fee for transportation.
Play Care 05:28 AM 05-31-2016
Charge the FT rate. It is a royal PITB to transport, even if your own kids are going too. Gas, insurance, wear and tear on your vehicle, etc. will all increase. Preschool schedules are much shorter than regular school. Lots of additional days off, shorter school year, etc. there are times I feel like they never have school
snbauser 08:59 AM 05-31-2016
Full time rate. I would not charge a separate transportation rate as it is my understanding that if you do that you become "commercial" transportation and your car insurance will be much higher.
laundrymom 09:58 AM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Full time rate. I would not charge a separate transportation rate as it is my understanding that if you do that you become "commercial" transportation and your car insurance will be much higher.
My company won't allow me to transport any child I keep for payment. It has nothing to do w an extra fee. You get paid to care for them. They won't cover it w a standard policy.
This is why I stopped transporting.
Mike 10:34 AM 05-31-2016
I agree with the others. Regular rate for care. I wouldn't charge extra for the transporting but you do need to make sure your insurance allows it.
LysesKids 10:37 AM 05-31-2016

I was told essentially you become a "TAXI" and are required to have like a million dollar policy & your business label is changed even if childcare is main thing; I use to run an errand business & My insurance would have been astronomical if I had transported people instead of just groceries & such. Some states still don't know how to classify personal concierge type people when you apply for a business license. I was also told if you don't let your insurance people know what you are doing & there is an accident, not only are you not covered you will lose all your insurance coverage ( it can blackball you from other companies also)
Indoorvoice 10:46 AM 05-31-2016
Uh oh! I didn't even think about insurance and stuff. Geesh. I have sine more research to do.
snbauser 11:25 AM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
My company won't allow me to transport any child I keep for payment. It has nothing to do w an extra fee. You get paid to care for them. They won't cover it w a standard policy.
This is why I stopped transporting.
Crazy! I was told that as long as the fee I'm charging isn't a separate transportation fee then the kids are just the same as any other passenger in your car. Just like if you were taking your kids friends somewhere.
LysesKids 11:56 AM 05-31-2016
Crazy! I was told that as long as the fee I'm charging isn't a separate transportation fee then the kids are just the same as any other passenger in your car. Just like if you were taking your kids friends somewhere.
But it's not the same as taking your kids friends because you are being PAID to watch the daycare kids... it's business even if personal, so insurance rules change. I have had 3 different companies refuse to insure me if I transport people that are paying me for a service of ANY KIND
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 05-31-2016
Tom Copeland has several articles about insurance and how to protect your business when it comes to transportation

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=Transportation&x=0&y=0
sahm1225 12:13 PM 05-31-2016
I'm curious what you pay for insurance for those that do offer transportation
Reply Up