Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Who Vomited Update
momofboys 05:16 AM 05-14-2010
The little boy who vomited came back yesterday (he got sick Tues morning & went home. . . . then came back Thurs a.m.). Anyway, yesterday afternoon my toddler son kept complaining about a tummy ache then he got a low grade fever. This morning his temp was 102!! I am fairly certain he got this from the DCC. The symptoms seem similar. So I did call the mom this a.m. to let her know about my son's high fever/belly troubles & give her the option to come or not come. When she shows up she does not have her toddler son, only her school age son which I am fine with. But she mentioned she thought she should keep him away from my son b/c of the high fever & b/c they have birthday parties this weekend & no one wants to be sick for that. Then she promptly asks me for a credit for next week. I said, sure for your toddler. I don't mind her keeping her son with someone else but it's too coincidental that my son gets sick 2 days later. And although I say I give credits for my illness it irks me that they likely gave us the illness. She said I was concerned about germs since her son never had a high fever when he was ill. How can she not think the two illnesses are related?
missnikki 07:19 AM 05-14-2010
I suppose at that point, if you liked the family before all of this, I would try to point out that in order to keep whatever illnesses they each have or had, we need to keep them separate for a little while to really knock it out. I would offer her a 1/2 rate for next week as a courtesy, and that you feel you should both split the costs when it gets passed back and forth. Don't apologize for whatever it is you decide to do. That's just me...
Unregistered 08:49 AM 05-14-2010
It erks me to no end how parents bring their kids to dc when they are will, then you have to call them to pick them up. But in the meantime the sick dck has infected other ppl at your home. Then you end up sick and they want credit, uggghhh! it just isnt right.
Im considering adding some paid sick days to my policy for next year.
MarinaVanessa 10:13 AM 05-14-2010
What?! She is asking you for a refund??? Well if you are okay with it then it's up to you but personally I wouldn't do it. HER child is sick ... What does your policy say? And then she asks you to keep her other child away from your kid so that he won't get sick?? Her own probably got a fever too in the beginning and just wasn't able to catch it. If the simptoms are similar to each other more than likely they are the of the same ... so how does that make sense to give her back money AND be asked to keep her child away from your child when it was her other child that got yours sick? I guess I just don't understand some peoples logic sometimes lol.
Daycare Mommy 10:38 AM 05-14-2010
I've never been in that situation. In my experience, the ones that get us sick are always the first to say yes they're coming anyway no matter how sick my family is when given the option. The refund part, would burn me up since it most likely was from them. It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a credit after getting your family sick. And if she was really worried about a different stomach bug, she wouldn't have sent her older son. Sounds like her younger son is probably still sick and she's just trying to get a credit out of this.

When I call the ones that gave us the illness I just say something like, "Well my ds seems to have caught your ds's flu after all. We are open today, but if you want to keep your older child home I'll issue you a credit for him today since he has not had this yet." Refund for her child that already had this and brought it to daycare wouldn't be an option.
momofboys 11:27 AM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
What?! She is asking you for a refund??? Well if you are okay with it then it's up to you but personally I wouldn't do it. HER child is sick ... What does your policy say? And then she asks you to keep her other child away from your kid so that he won't get sick?? Her own probably got a fever too in the beginning and just wasn't able to catch it. If the simptoms are similar to each other more than likely they are the of the same ... so how does that make sense to give her back money AND be asked to keep her child away from your child when it was her other child that got yours sick? I guess I just don't understand some peoples logic sometimes lol.
I guess I did not explain that to well. she is not asking for credit when her child was off sick. Just credit for today. My son is now sick so I called her to let her know he was ill. Her son is "well" now. As a result she took him elsewhere. My policy says if "I close" you will get a credit. She made some sort of comment that it didn't sound like the same illness b/c her son never had "that high of a fever". Yeah, right!!! I will also be changing my policy to read that I get paid sick days. I have changed so many things in my policies b/c of this family. My son has not thrown up yet so she thinks the illnesses are not connected. Whatever. But I agree with you people are ridiculous. I will be sure to make some hints when she picks up. I do think it was funny that she was okay with her school-ager being here with my sick son. Not to be mean but it might be a little funny if he got ill too. I know that sounds awful but I just don't understand some people's logic.
momofboys 11:32 AM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
I've never been in that situation. In my experience, the ones that get us sick are always the first to say yes they're coming anyway no matter how sick my family is when given the option. The refund part, would burn me up since it most likely was from them. It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a credit after getting your family sick. And if she was really worried about a different stomach bug, she wouldn't have sent her older son. Sounds like her younger son is probably still sick and she's just trying to get a credit out of this.

When I call the ones that gave us the illness I just say something like, "Well my ds seems to have caught your ds's flu after all. We are open today, but if you want to keep your older child home I'll issue you a credit for him today since he has not had this yet." Refund for her child that already had this and brought it to daycare wouldn't be an option.
Not sure if I would have the guts to say that about us "catching" his illness. But this afternoon I have felt off too & now have a fever. I did clean up 2 vomit episodes on Tuesday morning so it makes sense. . . I will have to keep your verbage in mind when I redo my illness policy. PArt of me just thinks she did it b/c she is trying to recoup her losses from having to come get him on Tues & stay home with him when he was sick. Typically she is always okay with sending him here when someone is sick so I was surprised when she said he was going somewhere else. Oh well. . . it isn't that much money really. It's just the principle of it that bothers me.
Daycare Mommy 02:29 PM 05-14-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Not sure if I would have the guts to say that about us "catching" his illness. But this afternoon I have felt off too & now have a fever. I did clean up 2 vomit episodes on Tuesday morning so it makes sense. . . I will have to keep your verbage in mind when I redo my illness policy. PArt of me just thinks she did it b/c she is trying to recoup her losses from having to come get him on Tues & stay home with him when he was sick. Typically she is always okay with sending him here when someone is sick so I was surprised when she said he was going somewhere else. Oh well. . . it isn't that much money really. It's just the principle of it that bothers me.
Maybe I would word it slightly differently. (I was feeling pretty grouchy at daycare parents at nap today. 2 dc parents called me and 3 picked up at nap today. I HATE that. I watch children 12 hours a day nap is only 2 hours long. WHY THEN?) ANYway, I've said it before, but it's more like, "Well "B" seems to have caught that flu bug "C" had earlier this week after all. We are open today, but if you want to keep your older child home I'll issue you a credit for him today since he has not had this yet." It just seems so silly to me to pretend the two illnesses aren't related since they are so close and both are tummy-related. There's a chance, of course, but after he vomitted at your house twice, the odds are it's the same bug. Sorry to hear you are getting sick now too. I hope you recover quickly.
Tags:puke, vomit
Reply Up