Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Accidents Per Day Do You Deal With And Then What?
Evansmom 04:59 PM 03-31-2011
So I have a new little boy who started today. He used the potty fine and then a few hours later he had a pee accident in the bathroom. I don't know if he was on the way and didn't make it or what. His parents say he's fully potty trained but on his way to come drop off the contract earlier in the week the dad commented on how DCB had an accident on the way to the car so I don't think these are too few and far between.

Today it was okay b/c it was in the bathroom but this could get messy.

What are your policies on accidents and being in underware or having to go back to pull ups? I need some help with this. I'd rather broach this subject with them sooner rather than later.
dEHmom 05:04 PM 03-31-2011
its tough to say....

alot of people think potty trained means 2 days no accidents! How old is this little one? How long has he been using potty? How frequent are the accidents. Some you might have to ask the parents to find out.

Advise them now that if child has X accidents in 1 day, he will be required to wear a pull up/diaper until he has gone 2 weeks without wetting it. Or something like that.
Evansmom 05:42 PM 03-31-2011
Good questions I'll ask them tomorrow.

He is a little over 3 years old but I don't know how long he's been using the potty. He came from a large daycare. I hope this isn't the reason he left you know?

I don't have a handbook. My contract is pretty extensive and under each paragraph I have a place for them to initial to show they have read each policy but I don't have one on potty training. Thinking I ought to include one now or write a handbook.

So how many accidents do you say are okay before going back to pull ups for two weeks? I'm trying to get an estimate of what others use before I make up my mind.
dEHmom 05:45 PM 03-31-2011
I think it comes down to each child. If it seems excessive to you, then you need to do it.

If they have 1 accident EVERYDAY that might be excessive.

If they have 2 accidents a week, that might be excessive. I mean really, 1 accident a month is a lot for most kids.

It also depends what they are doing, are they just too busy and forget? Do they do it because they are mad, upset, ill?

i can tell you right now, I DON'T want to clean up some other kids accidents, whether #1 or #2. EW
Abigail 05:48 PM 03-31-2011
I wouldn't have X accidents per DAY because it could happy EVERYDAY. That would get old! I don't have experience with those who have accidents because our dck seem to learn to use the toilet within a month's time and wear pullups until they're completely trained and I've only been around for one accident.

I don't have potty training in too much detail in my handbook besides that the parents start at home. It's good to have a section if they have accidents to go back to pullups or at leats wear pull ups for naps and outside time. My number of accidents in a WEEK would be third accident, back in pullups for one-two weeks.
wdmmom 05:50 PM 03-31-2011
My policy is 6 weeks with no accidents...awake and asleep hours. Until then, it's pull ups or diapers. I have new carpet so that's my reason behind 6 weeks.
nannyde 04:47 AM 04-01-2011
They have to be accident free for two weeks consequitive HERE and be able to say the words "I have to go potty" BEFORE they have to go potty.
SandeeAR 04:52 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They have to be accident free for two weeks consequitive HERE and be able to say the words "I have to go potty" BEFORE they have to go potty.
So glad to see someone else thinks they should be able to TELL you they need to go potty.
daysofelijah 04:54 AM 04-01-2011
Pee accidents I will change them 2 times, then back into a pull-up on the third. Poop accidents are one strike and you're out, lol. Back into a pull-up right away with a poop accident.

If they are having daily accidents they need to be in pull-ups or diapers until they can go consistently without accidents (2 weeks). A very occasional accident is understandable, but more than once a week or so and I go back to pull-ups. Most parents are pretty understanding, but I have had one parent not understand why I didn't want to change her 4 year olds wet clothes every day, sometimes more than once a day. She got upset and pulled her kid, but I was happy about that one!
mac60 05:00 AM 04-01-2011
2 weeks no accidents, they tell me they have to potty, I do not ask them or just take them. I am very firm on this. I don't want kids peeing on my floors or my furniture. And if you have an accident....back in pullups. It is a no discussion subject.
Cat Herder 05:25 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Same policy here.

Potty Training is a Parental Responsibility.
Unregistered 06:57 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
So I have a new little boy who started today. He used the potty fine and then a few hours later he had a pee accident in the bathroom. I don't know if he was on the way and didn't make it or what. His parents say he's fully potty trained but on his way to come drop off the contract earlier in the week the dad commented on how DCB had an accident on the way to the car so I don't think these are too few and far between.

Today it was okay b/c it was in the bathroom but this could get messy.

What are your policies on accidents and being in underware or having to go back to pull ups? I need some help with this. I'd rather broach this subject with them sooner rather than later.
Two weeks with no accidents, and the child needs to be able to say he needs to go.

I wonder if he might do better with thick cloth trainers and a plastic cover instead of pull-ups? If you're willing, that is, and with the understanding you just pack up any wet stuff for the parents! It would save your carpet, at least. My DD had a really hard time training in pullups--they were too absorbent for her.
Evansmom 09:39 AM 04-01-2011
Thank you for all the advice it's greatly appreciated. I just needed help with knowing what an average time to go back to pull ups was. Two weeks will be my rule as well.

I have decided after talking to the father this morning that one accident a week is the limit. I do have disposable boy pull ups here so I will just put one on him if there is more than one accident per week. He's only here two days this week so I'll start it next week.

The dad did say that DCB is only about 97% accident free at home and that he's been having accidents again out of the blue. I believe it's due to the fact that his parents are seperating and they switched his daycare at the same time. A lot of stress for a 3 year old!!

I explained to the father this morning that it would be super messy if I let all 4 of the kids have mulitple accidents every day so that couldn't happen at all. He seemed to understand. I'll explain at pick up that I have pull ups here and if they want to bring cloth trainers that would be fine too. I use cloth with my DS here. I won't wash theirs though I'd just send it home wet.
Christian Mother 10:38 AM 04-01-2011
I fully potty trained one of my DCB's. He's 2 1/2 right now. He's a little guy but very smart as a little one. First day, 2 accidents on the floor but once we got the first potty in the toilet.. it he was excited to continue. Its been 2 weeks with no accidents in the pants, however; he has peed on him self and his clothes bc he didn't fully sit back on the potty so that could be why your little one had a accident. I am paranoid so I am always in the bathroom making sure the little ones are peeing properly and we do not have accidents. He prob. made the attempt but didn't sit properly or the fact that there are just to many new arrangements in his life is why he is regressing. I would start back to square one w/parents support. If you are willing to do that but going back to the beginning. I have my own set of rules when I start potty training but the first is that the parents start it at home and then I watch for signs he's interested in the potty. Then I full take it on from there. No pull ups unless he has a loss stool. I find that my little guy is still little where he still have a touchy stomach so his stoles can be soft and messy..Yikes!! But for me I don't do pull ups bc I find that they treat them like diapers. We go cold turkey...it works. Also, a lot of praise and no encouragement. I feel for the little guy...he sounds like he is having a rough time.
Evansmom 02:04 PM 04-01-2011
Thanks, yeah. I think he is having a rough time figuring things out right now. I had a lot (a lot, a lot!!) of redirection with him today. And physical redirection too, you know where you have to guide their little bodies over to where you want them to go b/c there isn't compliance. I feel for him too. There are all kinds of new rules and boundaries here that he's having to learn that clearly are not established at his house. So it was a lot to take in for him today but I tried to do it so that he didn't get frusterated with me. At one point he came over to me and kissed my leg. I was so touched. B/c even with how many times I had to gently correct him today he clearly felt like he still liked me. Aww!

No accidents today but I did have to insist he "just try" the potty when I was sure he had to so and he was refusing. I steered him into the bathroom and then he did go. So I see I'll just have to be really hands on (literally) with him for a while.
Abigail 09:29 PM 04-02-2011
Here is my potty training portion of my handbook. I just added information about accidents after reading this post. Let me know if I am missing anything.
Toilet training must begin at home before it will begin at daycare. I will assist your child in toilet training with the understanding that it will be successful only if we work together. Pull ups are required until the child goes two weeks accident free. If multiple accidents occur in a week, the child will need pull ups for another two week accident free period.

Please send your child in easy on/easy off clothing until they are able to completely undress/dress themselves. At least two outfits are required if your child is toilet training. I will not launder soiled clothes, they will be sent home with you daily. Please replenish their clothes the next day.

Tags:potty accidents, potty training policy
Reply Up