Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Down... How to Word Letter
childcaremom 01:48 AM 05-11-2014
I am closing down soon (last day will be June 6) and am notifying my parents tomorrow. My contract states 3 weeks but I want to give them a little bit more time to look around.

So, I plan to have a letter to have a letter to hand out, just don't know how to word it. I was thinking very basic:
"Dear DC parents,

While I have enjoyed caring for your child, due to the changing needs and activity levels of my family I am no longer able to continue with my daycare business. The last day of care is Friday June 6.

I wish you well in the future.

Relieved me"

I do not have any referral numbers to give them and I don't know anyone else that does home daycare. Should I try to find a local agency so I can refer them?

What do I say in person? This is really stumping me. I have so many reasons to close down:
* my youngest is having issues that require my full attention in the mornings when I have dcks here
* my kids want to do summer activities that are during my dc hours
* I plan to start teaching yoga instead
* I am in a training right now that requires more flexibility with my schedule than daycare allows, meaning my vacation times may change (again) so my care availability is sporadic and not reliable for working parents. I need to be flexible with most of August and need to do a practice teach in July, during day hours (15 different classes, so alot of days off)
* my son may make it to nationals for paddling and I want to go and watch... requiring last minute travel, so I would be over my contractual vacation amounts
*my kids are switching schools in the fall and we didn't make the bus cut off so I need to drive them in the fall. I will not transport dcks as I am very uncomfortable with this. I would have had to close at the end of August anyways.

I know my parents will ask and expect some sort of answer... just don't know how much to give out. We are close but not personal, if that makes sense. Mention the changing schools and I am taking the summer off to concentrate on family activities? Training is requiring me to be available during the day over the summer?

Really, this is something that I have given much thought to and I am stressing about having to tell them. They are (mostly) great families and wonderful kids and I am going to miss them. But I need them to know that it is a final decision and they cannot talk me into staying open or extending my date of final care. I've already talked myself out of this 100X already.

Thanks!
NoMoreJuice! 06:10 AM 05-11-2014
In my experience, and I think most others would agree, brief is best. When they ask why or give you a whiny pout, just say "This is the best decision for my family, and I will have more time to focus on them." They too try to make the best decisions for their family, so that will be enough for most of them. You are being more than generous allowing them so much time, and I would include in the letter a link to your local resource and referral agency's childcare provider list. Just the R&R website, you don't have to go through the trouble of finding a provider to refer them to...that's their job to seek one out.

You will feel blissfully relieved when you finally give them the letters! I stewed about it for weeks before giving mine out when I moved, and it was a huge weight off my shoulders when it was finally done. Good luck!
butterfly 02:25 PM 05-11-2014
I would just tell them you got a job offer that allows more time for your family.

Congrats on the upcoming changes!
NightOwl 04:35 PM 05-11-2014
I think what you said is perfect. Short and sweet
cheerfuldom 06:47 PM 05-11-2014
The letter is perfect. I would just say that the demands of your familys activities and schooling make it impossible for you to continue doing daycare. You know they need reliable service and you can no longer provide that so rather than try to struggle along, taking lots of days off, you think it is better for them to take the time to find reliable care. I always phrase it so it sounds good for them.
Starburst 07:18 PM 05-11-2014
If they ask just say "The needs of my family have changed and this was the only solution. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

And if they ask for a reference just tell them you don't know any other providers in this area that well but that the local Child Care Resources & Referral agency has a list of all the local child care businesses.

But trust me, I so know what you mean about feeling pressured to give references. I have been having a similar situation with a mom I babysit for (almost high jacked but decided to do my own vent post).
childcaremom 04:02 PM 05-12-2014
Thanks everyone! I stuck fairly close to my original letter, had those in bags for home, and talked to the parents individually at pick up.

It was really hard and I am torn between being excited that I am almost done and sad that all the little ones will be leaving
Unregistered 08:23 PM 05-12-2014
I am getting ready to make a change to in my daycare. I simply told the mom I do care for I may be closing for the summer and not sure if I will be resuming in the fall. I honestly am not sure yet what I want to do, have been providing care 30+ years and my youngest grandchild will be starting full day kindergarten. The child I am watching right now is brutal to my grandchild, and i will be honest, after all these years and seeing parents today do absolutely nothing to correct their child's actions, I have had it.

I agree with others saying short & sweet.
Reply Up