Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Irresponsible?
tenderhearts 03:27 PM 03-20-2020
I am really on the fence about closing daycare or not. There are now 35 confirmed cases here in our county. I feel like part of me feels like it is irresponsible by staying open because there is that risk of the kids bringing it in not to mention I worry about my husband a little. Are we being irresponsible staying open if you are not doing healthcare workers kids? I just don't know what to do.
Baby lady 03:47 PM 03-20-2020
I’ve been trying to decide for a week or so. I’ve decided to close as of next week, for a couple weeks, then reassess.

I’m relieved to have made the decision. Our state is underr “stay at home” orders
Cat Herder 04:28 PM 03-20-2020
I think it comes down to your ability to manage risks and accept the consequences if the kids do get sick while in your care.

For me, it will be just another day at work if the kids do get sick and have to quarantine here. I will care for them. I have the supplies, empty bedrooms and training I need. If one of them progresses to needing to go to the hospital, DH or I will take them. It is a manageable illness for the majority of the people infected. All of my clients are aware of my shelter in place plan and have signed forms. (We were required to have them 5 years ago.)

IMHO, The deciding factor should be "Am I prepared to self-quarantine for up to three weeks with all of these kids if it came down to it?" It is a given that the majority of us will be exposed or contract this. It is a matter of when at this point.
PB&J 04:35 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think it comes down to your ability to manage risks and accept the consequences if the kids do get sick while in your care.

For me, it will be just another day at work if the kids do get sick and have to quarantine here. I will care for them. I have the supplies, empty bedrooms and training I need. If one of them progresses to needing to go to the hospital, DH or I will take them. It is a manageable illness for the majority of the people infected. All of my clients are aware of my shelter in place plan and have signed forms. (We were required to have them 5 years ago.)

IMHO, The deciding factor should be "Am I prepared to self-quarantine for up to three weeks with all of these kids if it came down to it?" It is a given that the majority of us will be exposed or contract this. It is a matter of when at this point.
I follow your posts a lot and really value what you have to say. Tone is hard over posts, so I hope you know this is a genuine quest for information: why would you quarantine in place? Our regulating agency and county health department both advise closing down and will take over informing families to “do” their own self-quarantining.
Cat Herder 04:57 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I follow your posts a lot and really value what you have to say. Tone is hard over posts, so I hope you know this is a genuine quest for information: why would you quarantine in place? Our regulating agency and county health department both advise closing down and will take over informing families to “do” their own self-quarantining.
It is a worst-case scenario for preparedness planning. "Alien abduction plan". We are required to have Emergency Preparedness plans, drills and supplies. It was not intended for just pandemics. Gunman, tornado, flood, hurricane, earthquakes and forest fires. It is an everyday plan. We are rural/mountains/national forest. Parents not being able to get to us is a real thing out here.

I personally have pregnant clients, two with seniors in their home, three with siblings at home and one on chemo. It is possible at least one may need my help this go-round. Plan for the worst and never need it. I have never lived in a city where there are resources closeby. 20 minute EMS/police response is how we live.
PB&J 05:03 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is a worst-case scenario for preparedness planning. "Alien abduction plan". We are required to have Emergency Preparedness plans, drills and supplies. It was not intended for just pandemics. Gunman, tornado, flood, hurricane, earthquakes and forest fires. It is an everyday plan. We are rural/mountains/national forest.

I personally have pregnant clients, two with seniors in their home, three with siblings at home and one on chemo. It is possible at least one may need my help this go-round. Plan for the worst and never need it. I have never lived in a city where there are resources closeby. 20 minute EMS/police response is how we live.
Gotcha! I did know that you are rural, and it does seem like some of your plan is based also on your relationship with your families. We, too, have to have drastic emergency plans (but we are closer to “big city” life and I know that comes into play). We are larger (in home) with employees and one thing that HIT me about making our plans: we were advised to inform our employees that they are NOT to abandon their “posts” to attend to their own families. Ummmmmmm.......
Cat Herder 05:16 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by PB&J:
Gotcha! I did know that you are rural, and it does seem like some of your plan is based also on your relationship with your families. We, too, have to have drastic emergency plans (but we are closer to “big city” life and I know that comes into play). We are larger (in home) with employees and one thing that HIT me about making our plans: we were advised to inform our employees that they are NOT to abandon their “posts” to attend to their own families. Ummmmmmm.......
And that is the other thing. They learned that during the Pearl Harbor Bombing and the 911 attack (and I am sure many other times) that some did leave their post and left others exposed or helpless to attend to their own. Daycare providers, nursing home staff and teachers were some of those abandoning their charges, too. I don't have to tell you the outcomes of that. When they can't get to us to get their kids, we must be prepared to keep them safe until they can.

Think about the parents stranded downtown for days during Katrina. They could not leave those shelters. I still wonder why we did not hear more about how providers coped with that.
Valerie928 05:25 PM 03-20-2020
I am closing for awhile, not sure how long. I was planning on staying open as I am a small provider. However, I sent home a notice over a week ago stating ZERO illnesses aloud at this time. Nothing but 110% healthy as my youngest Child has asthma and on average gets pneumonia 2 times a year, trying to keep my home healthy. Well, nobody felt it necessary to follow my rule and a cold spread through here. Total disrespect for me and my family. So I am done.
Unregistered 03:18 PM 03-25-2020
This is what I am struggling with now. My husband and I are both in the high risk category. I am immune compromised and he has asthma. We have a small group. Fortunately, the infants are staying home but I have 2 families considered essential but not health care. Our area is under a stay at home order.

I currently have the rest of the week off. I'm seriously considering closing the next week or 2 and pulling up the drawbridge. I know it will greatly inconvenience these families. I truly want to help but I'm thinking it's time to let the young people do the work and we'll do out part by staying in. When I reopen it will probably be shortened hours and extremely stringent sick policy. I know we'll all be exposed eventually and likely even contract it. But I'd prefer for that to happen when healthcare and treatment is available. Anyhow that's what's rolling around in my head. It's different with home daycare because it's actually inviting illness into the house.
BumbleBee 03:37 PM 03-25-2020
I've been questioning my decisions since this whole thing started.

Multiple mandates, closures, etc.

The current mandate we are under lasts until April 13th and we are only permitted to provide care for dependants of critical infrastructure workers but only to the extent necessary.

Given that, I am staying open for the parents who are considered critical infrastructure workers under the mandate.
Gemma 02:24 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I've been questioning my decisions since this whole thing started.

Multiple mandates, closures, etc.

The current mandate we are under lasts until April 13th and we are only permitted to provide care for dependants of critical infrastructure workers but only to the extent necessary.
I'm a bit confused by that ruling, what is your understanding?
Three of my families work in hospitals and other infrastructure, but how can I tell if any of the others are considered essential? Do you ask them to provide a copy of the letter to prove they are essential workers, or is that letter not given to essential working remotely? ...Do both parents have to be considered "essential" for me to accept their kids?
tenderhearts 11:47 AM 03-26-2020
Over the weekend I ended up making the decision that it wasn't worth the risk for anyone of us to take that risk, my family nor my daycare kids and their families. My husband is at high risk anyways. So with that being said I decided to close until they say it's safe again. My state ended up closing daycares anyways with the exception of emergency care for essential workers, and filling out a form stating we understand the risk we are taking. So I would have had to close anyways. So glad I made that choice.
Cat Herder 12:04 PM 03-26-2020
My state just extended closures another month. I simply can't go that long without pay. Closing is not really an option. I don't have 6-8 weeks worth of savings. I've only ever needed 2-4.

I will next year, though.
Unregistered 04:05 PM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is what I am struggling with now. My husband and I are both in the high risk category. I am immune compromised and he has asthma. We have a small group. Fortunately, the infants are staying home but I have 2 families considered essential but not health care. Our area is under a stay at home order.

I currently have the rest of the week off. I'm seriously considering closing the next week or 2 and pulling up the drawbridge. I know it will greatly inconvenience these families. I truly want to help but I'm thinking it's time to let the young people do the work and we'll do out part by staying in. When I reopen it will probably be shortened hours and extremely stringent sick policy. I know we'll all be exposed eventually and likely even contract it. But I'd prefer for that to happen when healthcare and treatment is available. Anyhow that's what's rolling around in my head. It's different with home daycare because it's actually inviting illness into the house.
It's me. I just suspended the daycare. Taking it week by week but told the parents that I understand if they pursue other care. Honestly, I've done this 23 year's. I worked through pregnancy, no-sleep infant, chemotherapy, 9/11, missing my son's school and sporting events, my AI Hepatitis flairs, colds, H1N1, my husband's unemployment but I just can't work through this. I'm done. At least for now.
nanglgrl 04:45 PM 03-26-2020
It's me. I just suspended the daycare. Taking it week by week but told the parents that I understand if they pursue other care. Honestly, I've done this 23 year's. I worked through pregnancy, no-sleep infant, chemotherapy, 9/11, missing my son's school and sporting events, my AI Hepatitis flairs, colds, H1N1, my husband's unemployment but I just can't work through this. I'm done. At least for now.
I get it. I’ve been doing this about the same amount of time. Between having my children home from school and trying to follow what their teachers would like them to do, the stress of letting “outsiders” in to my home daily (and of the pandemic in general), having a schoolager of a currently enrolled child here, not being able to go outside (weather), no one taking a nap, less daycare children attending, less income coming in, more text from parents, more work due to sanitizing constantly and deep cleaning nightly, increased operating cost due to cleaning supplies and the job being harder because the children that are here are limited to what they can play with (no cloth/only easy to sanitize items), I’m exhausted...really exhausted. It probably doesn’t help that everyone is here open to close even when both parents aren’t at work. I feel like I’m almost at my breaking point.
Cat Herder 04:03 AM 03-27-2020
I get it, too. I am at 26 years. Because of that, I have the opposite view. I stayed open because I still need to be able to fund my retirement and emergency savings account. I am on my own there. I am squirreling every penny from this week in case something changes next week. Each week I can stay open, I view as cake.

The hospital stay for those who do succumb to this is somewhere around 28 days. If you get the mild form, you are still out of work between 2-3 weeks IF parents chose to come back.

I don't want to come out of this heavily in debt if I can avoid it. I have plenty of life insurance, just not enough savings.
Sunshine69 08:18 AM 03-27-2020
Responsibility is a deep subject in these times. What’s good for some is not for others.

I am open for business but have no children as their parents aren’t working. I still require payment from full-time clients and have turned away the drop-in kids whose parents refuse to follow precautions. I will continue to be open until my full-time parents give notice. Then I will likely look for work at a grocery store. For the time being, I’m doing online training, reorganizing the daycare and catching up on filing and maintenance projects I have not been able to get to.

All the hiring and background check requirements have been waived in my state and there are childcare services popping up everywhere. Some offering free services to essential workers out of public buildings.

This is exactly what I expected would happen. I cannot compete with government supported businesses or people that don’t have to meet the requirements I do.

When I read about the hours free childcare was offered, Monday-Friday 7:30am-3:30pm, I got a good laugh. That doesn’t even allow a parent an 8-hour work day. I get the idea was to cover at school hours but, without school, there are no buses taking kids from temporary daycare to their usual providers.

While there is rightly a willingness to help the healthcare providers, I don’t see the same help being offered to daycare providers who are now “essential”. Sure they waived background checks so I can hire more people. Why hire more help if the kids we had are gone? The band-aids some officials think of are so unrealistic in relation the problem.

I think we’re all just making due as we go. Not much else left after that.
Tags:emergency preparedness plan, emergency supplies
Reply Up