Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paying to Hold Spot
dolores 10:20 AM 09-05-2019
Hi There, this is my first time posting. I am looking for advice on the following:
A family has placed a deposit to hold a spot for their child who turns 2 in 2 months. In addition to deposit, family has agreed to pay for two additional months to continue to hold the spot until child starts when he turns 2. This has happened many times before however we were full all of those times so naturally we would not hold a spot for free and parent had to pay as if the child was in attendance. However, this time we have a few openings. My question is, would you still charge parents for the 2 months to hold the spot if you still have openings? Hope I articulated my scenario clearly...
Cat Herder 10:28 AM 09-05-2019
I would charge full rate for the slot. Either they take it or it is offered to the next client.

What does your contract say, though? Going back on that after the fact would not be my first choice.
Ariana 11:58 AM 09-05-2019
I would only offer to hold a spot for free if the spot was not open until the day they needed it. Otherwise they can pay for the spot (to hold an open spot) or they can check back closer to the time when they require the spot to see if it is open. I do require a two week deposit which they lose if they do not enrol at the time they said they needed (to give me time to advertise).

Hope that helps!
dolores 12:32 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would charge full rate for the slot. Either they take it or it is offered to the next client.

What does your contract say, though? Going back on that after the fact would not be my first choice.
My contract says they pay the deposit which they have. Verbally we agreed they would also pay for the months up until child starts,as if the child was present. This is custom when we are full and its the only spot as I will not hold a spot that long for free. Not sure if to still charge for the months I have openings because if they had just waited w/o paying any the spot might still be available.
dolores 12:33 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would only offer to hold a spot for free if the spot was not open until the day they needed it. Otherwise they can pay for the spot (to hold an open spot) or they can check back closer to the time when they require the spot to see if it is open. I do require a two week deposit which they lose if they do not enrol at the time they said they needed (to give me time to advertise).

Hope that helps!
This sounds fair...
Tags:deposits, ethics, holding a space, holding fee, professionalism
Reply Up