Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Refusing To Eat
alysiav 11:49 AM 09-29-2011
Have any of you ever had a child refuse to eat? And if so how do you handle it?
I have a 3year old that has decided he is not going to eat at my house. He says he is only gonna eat mommies food. lol! Some days he is here from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm and that is a long time to not eat. I have been acting like it's no big deal if he eats or not (thinking that might make him change his mind) but he doesn't seem to care. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
laundrymom 11:51 AM 09-29-2011
You can lead a horse to water,......

Just keep offering.
Heidi 11:55 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
You can lead a horse to water,......

Just keep offering.
Ditto that!
MsMe 11:56 AM 09-29-2011
I have had this happen a few times over the years. If it goes on for more than a couple of days I let the parents know the child didn't eat at my house. Sometimes I have also had kids whos favorite food is all of a sudden soemthing they wont touch. I never make a second meal but I may start trying new foods for everyone and changing up the menu a bit to see if I can find the things a child does like.

Only once has it gotten to the point that both the parents and I were very concerned.

Kids go up and down eating. If he is a healthy weigh eating at home and it doesnt go on too long... it is not a bg concern. If he starts losing weight and does not have the energy to particitpate in activies I would be more concerned.
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 09-29-2011
exactly what laundrymom said.

It is your job to serve and he is responsible for the rest. You cannot force him to eat. Don't bribe, beg or barter with him. Just offer and be fine with whatever he chooses to do.
alysiav 12:01 PM 09-29-2011
He also refuses to sit at the table. He says he will just relax on the couch while the other kids eat. Should I have him sit at the table even if he won't eat or let him relax?
laundrymom 12:03 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by alysiav:
He also refuses to sit at the table. He says he will just relax on the couch while the other kids eat. Should I have him sit at the table even if he won't eat or let him relax?
Oh no,.. Mister will SIT and be served a meal even if he doesn't touch it. Every day, every meal. That's not even an option.
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Oh no,.. Mister will SIT and be served a meal even if he doesn't touch it. Every day, every meal. That's not even an option.
I agree. Sit at table, get food, then....

Lunch or Napmat, his choice.
MsMe 12:48 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by alysiav:
Somedays I don't fell like making lunch. I wish I could just sit on the sofa and relax
mismatchedsocks 01:13 PM 09-29-2011
I agree with the pp. Everyone sits at table. I would have him sit at table while the other kids ate, no choice to get up and go lay down. Then randomly say "good eating betty" or "that chicken is yummy isnt it claire". Do not give him attention for not eating, make general statements as to "ok everyone lets lean over" or "what is your favorite thing that you are eating on your plate right now" go around table asking.

Maybe he will see its really not that bad to be eating and join in.
littlemommy 01:21 PM 09-29-2011
I have a 2 year old that has been here for 7 months and has only eaten a couple bites of food in my care. He is offered every day, but as soon as he sees me coming with a bowl/plate of food he starts crying. I set it down and he screams. If I let him sit at the table, the other kids won't eat because he is crying, so he goes to lay down early.

I've tried several things to get him to eat. If he doesn't have a bowl or plate, like if we have sandwiches, he will take at least one bite. Only one. If he is sitting on the floor and not the table by the other kids, he will at least look at his food. The most he's ever eaten is 2 bites in one day.

I told the parents once, and they got upset and acted like I cook horrible food. Dad said he would bring food and eat with him. I said I cannot have that, as it would be a distraction to other kids, and it would teach him he doesn't have to eat my food. Nothing is mentioned about lunch anymore. The boy is a normal weight.
daycare 02:03 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I agree. Sit at table, get food, then....

Lunch or Napmat, his choice.
This... Let him decide. It's lunch time or naptime which one would he like to do.
jojosmommy 05:24 AM 09-30-2011
In my house you sit at the table even if you don't intend to eat. No fussing, no complaining, no bugging those who are eating. If someone forgets I repeat, "Sit nice with your hands in your lap." If they are having an exceptionally tough time with it then it's time to go on your nap mat. "Looks like you must be tired. It's time to go on your mat and rest."

And if they don't eat, oh well. They will eat when they are hungry.
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up