Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Mo DCG Won't Eat Her Baby Food
Lilbutterflie 08:30 AM 02-02-2012
Hi there! I have a DCG, almost 8 mo, who has been eating solids for about 3 months. Right now; I feed her baby food for breakfast & DCM feeds her baby food for dinner.

I've noticed from the start that she really doesn't have an interest in eating at all. She shows an interest in what everyone else is eating. When I try to feed her though, she is interested in everything else EXCEPT eating her food. She turns her head (tries to turn it completely around), won't give me eye contact, gets super fidgety, etc... She would always open her mouth for me (until 2 weeks ago); but the food goes in and comes right back out. I do realize that they have to learn to push the food to the back and swallow, but she has been doing this for 3 whole months, twice a day. She has had plenty of practice! The babies I've started on solids usually began learning to swallow (and enjoy their food) after 2-4 weeks for me. I actually have to get the spoon in there and hold it at an angle, which causes her to suck on the spoon and therefore swallow it. Even that doesn't work alot of the time and it comes right back out. Last week, she just started outright refusing to eat. I can get maybe 5-10 bites in by distracting her and making funny noises so she will laugh and open her mouth for me.

I mentioned to mom that she is refusing to eat for me; and she thinks it's because they introduced fruits two weeks ago and she doesn't want the vegetables anymore (so far she has only brought veggies- parents supply baby food here). I don't really think that is it, because I've always had a hard time with it; it just got worse the last couple weeks.

I've never had a baby who hated to eat her baby food. Anyone else experienced this? Do you have any advice??

Is it tied to any developmental issues? I have heard that babies who have a hard time eating baby food or don't eat baby food at all until 12-18 months have speech issues in the future.
youretooloud 08:36 AM 02-02-2012
By 8 months, many of my kids have refused baby food, and only eat "people food". I just make it small enough, but, not too small so they cram it in their mouths.

Baby food is pretty nasty, and perhaps she's not fooled by it.

Plus, while I think kids should be eating food by this age, I don't think it's crucial. It's more of a learning experience than a necessary nutrient.
Heidi 08:46 AM 02-02-2012
As for the speech issues, my son had severe articulation issues, but had no problem eating! He did have trouble breast feeding, however.

Have you tried a graham cracker? My instinct is that she is not interested in baby food, but if you tried "big people" food, she might like it. You said she's always watching that...

With my kids, I tried each baby food for the recommended amount of time, and then then moved on to cooked frozen vegies, etc. By the time they were a year old, they had jarred baby food long behind them.

WIth dc kids, we have to "offer" baby cereal for breakfast only (for the food program). If they turn their head away, you've offered it, and you can move on.

I guess I am saying that I would try a cracker or something like that, and if she swallows that, she's telling you her preferences. If she gags, then maybe there is a concern?
cheerfuldom 09:06 AM 02-02-2012
maybe she is ready for some finger foods
Lilbutterflie 10:02 AM 02-02-2012
So I just tried giving her cheerios. She was pretty excited that I was actually giving it to her! LOL She did spit it out quite a few times, but attempted to chew it (gagging if it got to the back of her tongue). Eventually it would melt and she would swallow it... but this is after spitting it out 3-4 times and me putting it back in. She did however keep opening her mouth for it! I put the cheerios on her tray to see if she could feed herself, but looked at me like "Well, are you going to put them in my mouth or what?" She is not ready to actually be able to feed herself. I do not have the time to sit next next her and plop a cheerio in her mouth 3-4 times per cheerio. It would take forever to get a decent amount fed to her!

The other thought to this is that her mom brings her food, and is still bringing stage 1. How do I explain to her that perhaps she should be starting to bring baby finger foods? She is a first time mom and is going to look at me like I'm crazy.
bice99 10:14 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
So I just tried giving her cheerios. She was pretty excited that I was actually giving it to her! LOL She did spit it out quite a few times, but attempted to chew it (gagging if it got to the back of her tongue). Eventually it would melt and she would swallow it... but this is after spitting it out 3-4 times and me putting it back in. She did however keep opening her mouth for it! I put the cheerios on her tray to see if she could feed herself, but looked at me like "Well, are you going to put them in my mouth or what?" She is not ready to actually be able to feed herself. I do not have the time to sit next next her and plop a cheerio in her mouth 3-4 times per cheerio. It would take forever to get a decent amount fed to her!

The other thought to this is that her mom brings her food, and is still bringing stage 1. How do I explain to her that perhaps she should be starting to bring baby finger foods? She is a first time mom and is going to look at me like I'm crazy.

I do Gerber (or store brand) Puffs. They melt in their mouths faster than Cheerios so they are easier for ones learning to eat finger foods.
Heidi 01:39 PM 02-02-2012
bib her up good and give her something to HOLD. That's why I suggested a graham cracker, but if you prefer something more officially "baby" try zwieback or some of those teething crackers. I don't know what they're called, but I've seen them in the baby food isle.

oooohhh now I just remembered that when we lived in Germany, they made chocolate dipped Zwieback... yumm!
Sprouts 09:11 PM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
bib her up good and give her something to HOLD. That's why I suggested a graham cracker, but if you prefer something more officially "baby" try zwieback or some of those teething crackers. I don't know what they're called, but I've seen them in the baby food isle.

oooohhh now I just remembered that when we lived in Germany, they made chocolate dipped Zwieback... yumm!
I can't find that stuff anywhere! I used to buy it for my daughter when she was teething but they mysteriously dissapeared
Lilbutterflie 04:48 AM 02-03-2012
I have used Baby MumMums before, they are easy to hold to and melt really quickly. I'll pick some up for her this weekend.

I talked to her mom about her refusal to eat again, and she says they are ONLY giving her fruits at home and she eats the fruits really well! I think you all were right... she just doesn't like rice cereal or those veggies that her mom brings for her at daycare. Her mom's solution was to just start doing ONLY veggies. I don't think that will go over very well!
SilverSabre25 06:13 AM 02-03-2012
1. Quit forcing her.

2. Mom needs to do a variety of foods.

3. Try finger foods. Really...try pieces of steamed apple, cooked potato/sweet potato, tiny bits of banana, well steamed broccoli, well steamed carrot, cut up ripe avocado, the options are almost limitless. I

4. (suggest this to mom too) If she is really having a hard time readjusting to other stuff instead of just fruit, start offering her bites of two foods at once...have a jar of say, peas, and a jar of peaches. Give her a bit of peaches. If she wants more, scoop a bit of peas onto the spoon, then peaches at the same time. If she wants more, try again...gradually work up to more and more peas.

Sometimes, you just have to be smarter than the baby
Lilbutterflie 06:59 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
1. Quit forcing her.

2. Mom needs to do a variety of foods.

3. Try finger foods. Really...try pieces of steamed apple, cooked potato/sweet potato, tiny bits of banana, well steamed broccoli, well steamed carrot, cut up ripe avocado, the options are almost limitless. I

4. (suggest this to mom too) If she is really having a hard time readjusting to other stuff instead of just fruit, start offering her bites of two foods at once...have a jar of say, peas, and a jar of peaches. Give her a bit of peaches. If she wants more, scoop a bit of peas onto the spoon, then peaches at the same time. If she wants more, try again...gradually work up to more and more peas.

Sometimes, you just have to be smarter than the baby
1. I offer her the food... if she shuts her mouth and turns her head; I'll try to get in at least one bite so that she actually tastes it to decide if she likes it. If she still doesn't want it; I take it away and let her down.

2. I agree... her mom needs to offer a variety of foods. The first 3 months; all she had were the basic veggies (carrot, sweet potatoe, grn beans, peas). She has never eaten them well for me. Now finally she moved on to fruits, but that's all they are giving at home (and still only bringing veggies for daycare!). But I really have no control over what the parents feed her at home; or bring for her at daycare. I can only make suggestions, but they don't seem to listen.

3. I tried giving her small bits of banana yesterday and today... she makes a bad face, gags, and spits it right back out. The only thing I have had slight success on so far has been cheerios. I'm going to try Baby MumsMums on Monday; and perhaps some cooked apple or cooked carrot later on today. They will have the same consistency as her mashed banana that she hated; so I don't think she'll go for it. We'll see.

4. I've suggested to dcm multiple times to try mixing fruit and veggies together (I've used this trick many many times). She said it was a good idea, but never brought me the fruit jars so that I could attempt it. Now she says she is only going to be feeding her veggies. I've tried mixing rice cereal with her formula; alone or with her baby food. She won't eat any of it.

The thing that I take comfort in is that I know baby food/people food is not her primary source of nutrition right now; and she drinks her bottles very well. I try not to stress about it or let it frustrate me for that reason. It just becomes a frustrating part of my day to figure out what the magic trick is to get her to eat. I just worry that she will continue down this road and won't eat well in four months when food is supposed to become her primary source of nutrition!
TBird 07:51 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
By 8 months, many of my kids have refused baby food, and only eat "people food".
Babies (even this young) are very smart and AWARE....even before we notice it. They smell "good table food" and wonder why the heck they're eating this tasteless, aroma-less baby food. At some point they're just gonna refuse to open their lips until you stick something good in there. And it better be the same thing you just put in YOUR mouth....OR ELSE!!!
Tags:infant - won't eat, won't eat
Reply Up