Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Need Help with Wording for 2 Week Security Deposit
lovemydaycare0912 10:50 AM 05-11-2016
Okay so I have 2 things I need help to better understand and how to word it in my new handbook. I am going to start requiring a 2 week deposit. When parents give notice on Fridays only, they will continue to pay for last 2 weeks of care. On child's last day, parents will get their deposit back as long as payments were made on time and all policies were adhered to.

Now I am trying to figure out how does that work when I am terming? If I term immediately, it would obviously be for a good reason for which I would not return the deposit.

If I am giving them 2 weeks notice for let's say my hours are changing or whatever it is, how do I go about this? If the parents don't choose to come back, they don't get their deposit back and I am covered. They do stay the final 2 weeks and make payment, and I return their deposit. How about, if parent does not want to stay for final two weeks but pays anyhow. Wouldn't that not make sense?

I think I may have answered my own question. They stay and pay and refund on last day. Or they never come back and I keep deposit.

Help please! lol
Ariana 10:54 AM 05-11-2016
My deposit is for the last two weeks of care. I am required to give them two weeks notice of termination and they are required to give me two weeks notice of termination. It is up to the parent whether or not they use those two weeks but the deposit covers them. If things end badly, the deposit is non refundable.
lovemydaycare0912 10:54 AM 05-11-2016
Nevermind, you can delete this. I figured it out. Sorry.
lovemydaycare0912 10:55 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My deposit is for the last two weeks of care. I am required to give them two weeks notice of termination and they are required to give me two weeks notice of termination. It is up to the parent whether or not they use those two weeks but the deposit covers them. If things end badly, the deposit is non refundable.
SO you don't make them pay during their last two weeks? What if the rates are higher at that time?
NillaWafers 11:44 AM 05-11-2016
You take the deposit at signup, you don't ever give it back (I have if it didn't work out within the first two weeks). Two week deposit is applied to last two weeks of care. Parent gives you 30 day notice (or two weeks whatever), money does not exchange hands, you watch the kids the last two weeks without them paying.
NillaWafers 11:45 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
SO you don't make them pay during their last two weeks? What if the rates are higher at that time?
If you raise the rates, take the difference of their first deposit and make it due along with their new contract.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
So if you term a family effective immediately you don't return the deposit?
Has that happened before?

Personally I would return a deposit if I was unable or unwilling to provide care for the final two weeks.

Keeping the deposit for services you (general you) won't or can't provide doesn't feel right to me.
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
You take the deposit at signup, you don't ever give it back (I have if it didn't work out within the first two weeks). Two week deposit is applied to last two weeks of care. Parent gives you 30 day notice (or two weeks whatever), money does not exchange hands, you watch the kids the last two weeks without them paying.

If you raise the rates, take the difference of their first deposit and make it due along with their new contract.
I don't raise rates for current families but I can see this ^^ as a good method of managing if you do have rate changes.
lovemydaycare0912 01:04 PM 05-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Personally I would return a deposit if I was unable or unwilling to provide care for the final two weeks.

Keeping the deposit for services you (general you) won't or can't provide doesn't feel right to me.
What if the family threatened you, disrespected, came late 45 mins, etc?
lovemydaycare0912 01:05 PM 05-11-2016
And if they don't follow policies during this time?
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 05-11-2016
What if the family threatened you, disrespected, came late 45 mins, etc?
I would refund the unused portion of the deposit....

like I said, I wouldn't feel right keeping a deposit if the services were not provided or were unable to be provided.
NillaWafers 01:10 PM 05-11-2016
And if they don't follow policies during this time?
I give it back. Despite disrespect, it would be unprofessional to require they pay me for time I refuse to provide.

I suppose you could have it in your contract and it would be enforceable to have a non-refundable deposit - I just don't think it's professional to do that.
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 05-11-2016
I give it back. Despite disrespect, it would be unprofessional to require they pay me for time I refuse to provide.

I suppose you could have it in your contract and it would be enforceable to have a non-refundable deposit - I just don't think it's professional to do that.
thats what I am saying.

Parents paying a deposit are paying for it WITH the INTENT that it is for services.

If those services cannot or will not be provided, I think parents are entitled to their money back. Both legally and ethically.
lovemydaycare0912 02:15 PM 05-11-2016
thats what I am saying.

Parents paying a deposit are paying for it WITH the INTENT that it is for services.

If those services cannot or will not be provided, I think parents are entitled to their money back. Both legally and ethically.
I see what you're saying. I guess I am trying to figure out a way not to get screwed. I don't think it is right for a parent to be able to say I am not giving you a 2 week notice but give me my deposit back. Or Im doing 1 week but give me 1 week back. I think I prefer to better word my deposit then.
NillaWafers 02:18 PM 05-11-2016
I see what you're saying. I guess I am trying to figure out a way not to get screwed. I don't think it is right for a parent to be able to say I am not giving you a 2 week notice but give me my deposit back. Or Im doing 1 week but give me 1 week back. I think I prefer to better word my deposit then.
If a parent is saying, I'm not giving you a two-week notice, but give me back my deposit, that deposit is for their two weeks. You don't give it back in that situation - their deposit is applied to those last two weeks. They can use it if they want. If they don't want to - you got paid for your two weeks regardless. If you're terminating because of behavior, and don't want to watch the child anymore, then you would refund because you're not willing to provide services.
lovemydaycare0912 02:54 PM 05-11-2016
If a parent is saying, I'm not giving you a two-week notice, but give me back my deposit, that deposit is for their two weeks. You don't give it back in that situation - their deposit is applied to those last two weeks. They can use it if they want. If they don't want to - you got paid for your two weeks regardless. If you're terminating because of behavior, and don't want to watch the child anymore, then you would refund because you're not willing to provide services.

Okay I understand now. Thanks. Sorry, it has been a long day.
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 05-11-2016
Yes, what she said ^^

Okay I understand now. Thanks. Sorry, it has been a long day.
YES! It HAS been a super long day today.

Everyone was "off" and just not operating as normal today.
Hoping tomorrow is better for you and me! ....and everyone else that had an "off" day.
lovemydaycare0912 05:58 PM 05-11-2016
Yes, what she said ^^

YES! It HAS been a super long day today.

Everyone was "off" and just not operating as normal today.
Hoping tomorrow is better for you and me! ....and everyone else that had an "off" day.
Ahhh yes thanks! We have had a nice few days since Friday. Only 5 on Friday and Mon and Tues were only 4 kids. Back to 6 today and almost everyone was coughing. BUTTTTT I also heard Friday will be full moon and also Friday the 13th so let's hope for the best.
Crazy8 06:29 PM 05-11-2016
I never return a deposit. I state in my contract that their deposit will be credited to their last week of care, so if they are currently paying more than the deposit they pay that difference. I also state (many times, lol) that the deposit would be forfeited if notice is not given or if there are violations of the contract. In all my cases of termination I was willing to give them notice as well, but if it was something severe that required immediate termination my contract states they forfeit their deposit. If they wanted their deposit credited (again, I never use the word "return" - always credited/forfeited) then they need to follow the rules of the agreement.
Ariana 09:50 PM 05-11-2016

I can explain it a bit better hopefully! I have a 6 week trial period in which the deposit will be returned where I do not provide a 2 week notice. Basically if I term you within the trial period it is effective immediately and you get your deposit back. After that trial period I am talking about immediate termination for things like non payment of fees or chronic lateness...basically not following my policies. If I have to terminate you for those reasons there is no reimbursement of fees.

I am lucky that I have never had to immediately term a family for not following policy. I also generally give people a few chances but my limit is 3 for late payments and picking up late. All of this is written in my contract which is an added incentive to follow my policies.
Ariana 09:58 PM 05-11-2016
I have a situation like this right now. I raised the rates after the initial deposit was paid. I am going to simply let the parents know that they owe me x amount to cover the last two weeks of care to make up for the difference that the deposit will not cover. If we ended on bad terms and she didn't return for those two weeks I would just forfeit the money. This is the only time I have ever increased fees for a currently enrolled family but it is only because the mom was not forthcoming about how long it would take her to commute from work.
Tags:deposit letter, security deposit
Reply Up