Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating question
Unregistered 05:00 PM 05-18-2015
Has anyone ever terminated a family, one of your favorite families, you've had 2 of the kids since babies but then the 3rd is a handful and really hard to do your job with the other kids because he is so fussy and needy and demanding most of the time? I'm in this situation but they have been with me for 5 years, the baby now 10 mo has been so difficult, he has had some good days but probably 90% of the time it's like walking on eggshells around him, there is no in between, on or off. I love all their kids but it stresses me out every day, wondering every night what kind of a mood he'll be in the next day. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to terminate but just wondering if anyone else has and what the outcome was ect.
MarinaVanessa 05:47 PM 05-18-2015
I had an issue similar with a family. I took their 2 oldest and they were FABULOUS! Their 3rd one not so much. He cried ALL THE TIME. For no reason. He was definitely a high needs baby.

I terminated him but used the excuse that he was only coming 2 days a week and I was changing my policy to a 3 day minimum (which was true). I couldn't do it to the other kids anymore, they were stressing out. It was easy for me though because the 2 older ones were already in school and out of my daycare. Don't know what I would have done had I needed to terminate all 3 at the same time. Then again, that's why I don't like to take siblings, and why I very rarely do (and another reason why I don't offer a sibling discount is to deter sibling groups lol)
Laurel 12:49 AM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has anyone ever terminated a family, one of your favorite families, you've had 2 of the kids since babies but then the 3rd is a handful and really hard to do your job with the other kids because he is so fussy and needy and demanding most of the time? I'm in this situation but they have been with me for 5 years, the baby now 10 mo has been so difficult, he has had some good days but probably 90% of the time it's like walking on eggshells around him, there is no in between, on or off. I love all their kids but it stresses me out every day, wondering every night what kind of a mood he'll be in the next day. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to terminate but just wondering if anyone else has and what the outcome was ect.
Once I had a baby, toddler and school ager that were brothers. It was the school ager that was the problem. In that case, I just told the mom that I had decided not to do school age anymore because it was too hard to do two age groups and then I gave her some reasons why. For the most part I wasn't doing school agers but gave this family a try. He only came for school holidays and not before and after school but he was soooo bad that I just couldn't do it anymore. One day he was with me when my inspector was there. She watched his antics for a while and said "He just gets the other ones going doesn't he?" Yep, he would wind up the whole group. It was a nightmare. The mom kept the younger two with me. It was hard to tell her. She was a nice woman. I did try to work with him first.

It is hard sometimes but you might just have to tell the parent that the baby would probably be better off with one on one care (like a nanny). It has become too hard to meet the baby's needs and the other children you watch as well. You are just one person. I'd bite the bullet and take the chance of losing them all rather than be so stressed. Mom 'knows' the baby is a handful as she has the same baby at home.

Laurel
Reply Up