Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Floors?
jillian01520 11:43 AM 10-06-2010
I am thinking about opening up a home daycare and I would want to use my finished basement as some of the area. Only part of the basement is finished (about 200+ sqf of it) I would want to use that area fot some play time. I have a guest room/ computer room off the kitchen upstairs that I would use for naps and then use the kitchen/dining room for arts and cratfs and lunch/snack time.

Do any of use 2 floors? If so what do you use them for and what is the set up like?

Thanks
Michael 04:05 PM 10-06-2010
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Jillian! Some more threads on basements: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=basement
sahm2three 05:14 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by jillian01520:
I am thinking about opening up a home daycare and I would want to use my finished basement as some of the area. Only part of the basement is finished (about 200+ sqf of it) I would want to use that area fot some play time. I have a guest room/ computer room off the kitchen upstairs that I would use for naps and then use the kitchen/dining room for arts and cratfs and lunch/snack time.

Do any of use 2 floors? If so what do you use them for and what is the set up like?

Thanks
I use two floors. I have all the big kid toys downstairs in my finished basement and I have a tv baby monitor on down there for when I am not down there with them.
newtodaycare22 05:24 PM 10-06-2010
Just make sure you check your state regulations. In MD, you can only use a basement if there is another way out (walk out basement). We cannot use the upstairs of a house either, since there is also no emergency exit.
momofsix 06:22 PM 10-06-2010
I'm in MI and use the basement most of the time, but also use the upstairs at times-lunch prep, arrivals and departures etc. I had to build an egress window w/ stairs to meet regulations, and at no time are kids allowed to be in the basement without me-even if sleeping. Wierd because I AM allowed to have the kids be upstairs while I'm in the basement, just not the other way around. Licensing rep had no idea why the difference!
My basement area that we use is one room that is about 25x13. About one third is hardwood and this is where i have the table for eating and crafts. the rest is carpeted and is where most everything else is. I have a hallway and bathroom downstairs too-the changing table is in the hallway just outside the main room and next to the bathroom. I love that the daycare stuff is in the basement, now I can feel like I leave work at night. When we were in my living room I never felt like I left work and was "home", because it was all right there all the time. It was also bad when company came over. I LOVE my basement!
jillian01520 06:20 AM 10-07-2010
Thanks for the replies!

We do have an exit down there. My basement is pretty big, but the part that is finished is just a room. From my uptairs hallway you open the door to carpeted stairs and this stairs go down to the finished part. There is small room off of that that is partly finished with walls and a door closing it off (thats to the left of the bottom of the stairs) On the back side of the room is another doorway that leads to the unfinished part that has storage, washer/dryer and the exit. Does that sound feasable?
DanceMom 07:48 AM 10-07-2010
I actually use all three floors.

Basement - play room and 2 kids nap down there

First floor - main area where I have daycare. I bring up toys weekly from the playroom and change them out so they dont get bored. Use kitchen for eating/arts/crafts. Use livingroom for play and circle time

Top floor - Use for naps for all other children. Thankfully I am able to have each child in a different room to nap in !
Tags:basement, upstairs
Reply Up