Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Am I Going To Do
Little Star75 04:59 PM 06-18-2013
So my last parent gave her 2-week notice at her job and my daycare! I don't think I'm going to get any kids. Plus I have that citation in my record and don't know how parents are going to feel about that. Ugh, I feel like quitting.
Cradle2crayons 05:03 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
So my last parent gave her 2-week notice at her job and my daycare! I don't think I'm going to get any kids. Plus I have that citation in my record and don't know how parents are going to feel about that. Ugh, I feel like quitting.
I hate to ask but I haven't be around long..would you mind pm me why you were cited if you don't want to share that??

What ways do you advertise??

I'm sure we can all help hon!! Chin up this too shall pass !!!
Little Star75 05:09 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I hate to ask but I haven't be around long..would you mind pm me why you were cited if you don't want to share that??

What ways do you advertise??

I'm sure we can all help hon!! Chin up this too shall pass !!!
I will pm u I feel kind of uncomfortable posting since its more personal. I did ask for advice on this before and also asked if someone wanted to know to pm me. I will pm you in a bit.
Cradle2crayons 05:28 PM 06-18-2013
I will pm u I feel kind of uncomfortable posting since its more personal. I did ask for advice on this before and also asked if someone wanted to know to pm me. I will pm you in a bit.
Thanks hon.

As far as advertising goes. All but my current clients came from the local mom and pop grocery store bulletin board. I did a tear off strip sign. Also when I lived close to civilization I put posters up at all of the local apartment complex bulletin boards at their mailbox area. Also I went in small subdivisions and put flyers on the mailbox. Advertised an open house BBQ for parents to come meet me. That was great.

People here have tons of great ideas.
Willow 05:34 PM 06-18-2013
It can be tough when you don't have an established group but the citation is likely just a blip in the road so don't be too discouraged by it unless it was really serious.

Are you signed up with your local referral agency? Do you have any local facebook provider groups you belong to?

Are your rates and services comparable to your competition?
Little Star75 05:37 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
It can be tough when you don't have an established group but the citation is likely just a blip in the road so don't be too discouraged by it unless it was really serious.

Are you signed up with your local referral agency? Do you have any local facebook provider groups you belong to?

Are your rates and services comparable to your competition?
Yes I'm signed up with a local agency, advertise on CL, just paid $200 for an ad that going to run for 6 months on a flyer with a church that does Bingo nights, just put up a 2x8 banner outside my house and also have a FB. So I pretty much have everything but I'm just not getting any calls.
Willow 05:42 PM 06-18-2013
Yes I'm signed up with a local agency, advertise on CL, just paid $200 for an ad that going to run for 6 months on a flyer with a church that does Bingo nights, just put up a 2x8 banner outside my house and also have a FB. So I pretty much have everything but I'm just not getting any calls.
Do you live rurally? Or in a place where there isn't much need for care?

Have you tried talking to other local providers to see if you're missing the mark as far as rates vs. services go?

I wouldn't throw in the towel until you've turned over every stone, once you get a good group and reputation built it's really a great career
Cradle2crayons 05:46 PM 06-18-2013
See none of that would have worked for me but there's no bingo around here..... I'm 300 yards into the woods and nobody knows I'm here....and most out here don't have Internet....

D you live in the city or rural??
daycare 05:53 PM 06-18-2013
do you have a local recreation there?? I volunteered at ours for a few months and got to know a lot of the people in the community.

I showed off my talents (not being snobby) by coaching a few sports teams here and there and letting parents know what I did. I of course sponsored my own team and got to put my daycare name on our banners and back of our jerseys. Yes it cost me, but it was worth it. It took me a good 3 years to make a name for myself up here where I was new.
Little Star75 07:17 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Do you live rurally? Or in a place where there isn't much need for care?

Have you tried talking to other local providers to see if you're missing the mark as far as rates vs. services go?

I wouldn't throw in the towel until you've turned over every stone, once you get a good group and reputation built it's really a great career
I live in a big city but I guess it's the area I live. I have friend providers that I talked to and them too have the same problem, no kids, kids leaving because parents moving out, parents tired of their policies, etc.
Little Star75 07:17 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
See none of that would have worked for me but there's no bingo around here..... I'm 300 yards into the woods and nobody knows I'm here....and most out here don't have Internet....

D you live in the city or rural??
Did you ever read my PM?
mom2many 07:19 PM 06-18-2013
I pm'd you!
Little Star75 07:19 PM 06-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
do you have a local recreation there?? I volunteered at ours for a few months and got to know a lot of the people in the community.

I showed off my talents (not being snobby) by coaching a few sports teams here and there and letting parents know what I did. I of course sponsored my own team and got to put my daycare name on our banners and back of our jerseys. Yes it cost me, but it was worth it. It took me a good 3 years to make a name for myself up here where I was new.
We ave plenty of them here, I'm just worried about my citation. I don't know how parents will take it
Cradle2crayons 07:58 PM 06-18-2013
Did you ever read my PM?
Yes ma'am just replied. I had to get my kids in bed and my special dcg who is medically challenged.
Lyss 08:51 PM 06-18-2013
We ave plenty of them here, I'm just worried about my citation. I don't know how parents will take it
Without specifics on the citation I'm not sure what advice/ideas to help parents see past it (I understand not wanting to share whatever it was publicly btw )

As for finding clients, I'd refocus my program if I was struggling. Look at my hours, rates, ages accepted, set up, and competition. Maybe make a website or revamp your current one if you have one or tweak your set up if you can. Maybe have provider friends stop by and give you their thoughts on ads, set up, policies? Not saying its your set up or whatever but thats always what I look at first when revamping my program.

Summer in my area is hard, lots of older siblings staying home or college kids offering cheap "nanny" services. I saw someone suggested a summer camp type program (not over night) on another thread, can't remember which one sorry, and I thought that sounded like a good idea.
Lyss 09:08 PM 06-18-2013
I forgot to add this to ^^ but I just remembered that from time to time I see ads on our local craigslist where providers are offering "sign up specials." Like $75 off 2nd month if you sign a contract by such and such date. I also see multi family specials, like "sign up with a friends and you both save $50 on your 2nd month"

I've never tired them but I only see them occasionally and not for that long so maybe they work?

I also remember someone here saying that they purposely put a "registration fee" (or something similar) on their website but then always tell people that they have a special and will waive the fee if a family signs up at interview or within a certain time frame so that the parent feels they are getting a deal.
Little Star75 11:47 PM 06-18-2013
For those that Pm me thank you so much for your kind words and support.
Tags:quitting daycare
Reply Up