Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really?!?!?
sahm2three 09:33 AM 12-07-2011
Not even 1 years old and she refuses a sippy still, won't drink much out of a bottle, and I talk to the parents and it is because they feed her out of a regular cup. Really?! Well, then stay home with your kid and do that! With 11 other kids in my care, I do not have the time to feed her out of a regular cup each time she needs to drink. Really!?!?! Anyone else ever deal with this?!
small_steps 09:41 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Not even 1 years old and she refuses a sippy still, won't drink much out of a bottle, and I talk to the parents and it is because they feed her out of a regular cup. Really?! Well, then stay home with your kid and do that! With 11 other kids in my care, I do not have the time to feed her out of a regular cup each time she needs to drink. Really!?!?! Anyone else ever deal with this?!
Oh wow! I know there are parents and even providers that take the time to do this but I'm with you...I have 11 kids too and I would never have the time to do that.
mismatchedsocks 09:47 AM 12-07-2011
How does the child do out of a cup when you help her? Does she help hold it and pour it fast so it drips down her shirt, or is she more controlled?

I ask because I have a 15 month old that went from bottle to cup, no sippy. I would rather then drink from a regular cup, if they do not spill it everytime or do not understand how fast the liquid comes out!
cheerfuldom 11:27 AM 12-07-2011
I am curious, why would a parent cup train a very young child? are they expecting you to do that with her as well?
sahm2three 11:33 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
How does the child do out of a cup when you help her? Does she help hold it and pour it fast so it drips down her shirt, or is she more controlled?

I ask because I have a 15 month old that went from bottle to cup, no sippy. I would rather then drink from a regular cup, if they do not spill it everytime or do not understand how fast the liquid comes out!
She doesn't even attempt to hold it. It has been the same with food lately. I give her those pouches that they can feed themselves with for food, and have been doing that for a couple months. But she refuses to feed herself that even now. The only thing I can get her to eat independently is graham crackers.
sahm2three 11:34 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am curious, why would a parent cup train a very young child? are they expecting you to do that with her as well?
Not a clue. And they didn't tell me they were doing this. I told them that I was beginning to worry about dehydration because she hasn't drank for us this week. Ugh.
kidkair 11:35 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Having babies as young as 9 months learn how to drink from an open cup is great for their muscle development in their necks, mouths, and throats. This helps greatly with speaking development.

That said I leave that mainly for the parents unless the child has a speech language pathologist suggesting the cup for every meal. I've had kids refuse sippies but I just keep giving it to them and they eventually figure it out. Remember you have to offer it not ensure they eat/drink it all.
sahm2three 11:40 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
Having babies as young as 9 months learn how to drink from an open cup is great for their muscle development in their necks, mouths, and throats. This helps greatly with speaking development.

That said I leave that mainly for the parents unless the child has a speech language pathologist suggesting the cup for every meal. I've had kids refuse sippies but I just keep giving it to them and they eventually figure it out. Remember you have to offer it not ensure they eat/drink it all.
But she is drinking NOTHING!!! I have tried every sippy I have. Fine, give her drinks from a regular cup, but to expect that I give her 3 bottles a day in a cup and help her with it each time?? Not going to happen. Like I said, she doesn't even try to help hold the cup or anything.
mismatchedsocks 11:48 AM 12-07-2011
She doesn't even attempt to hold it. It has been the same with food lately. I give her those pouches that they can feed themselves with for food, and have been doing that for a couple months. But she refuses to feed herself that even now. The only thing I can get her to eat independently is graham crackers.

Without an attempt to hold it I would just keep offering sippies or bottles. She is just being stubborn. I assume at home they are feeding her everything! I have one girl 16 months who has a 4 year old sister here. She is always trying to go feed her sister or hold a cup/spoon for her. She can do it on her own until her sister looks at her then she whines.
SandeeAR 11:53 AM 12-07-2011
I have a 16 mo old, that is like that with a sippy. Since he went on one at about 12 mo. He is offered a sippy cup of milk at breakfast. Same cup again at lunch and snacks. He went for months drinking nothing. Now, if I'm lucky, he will drink maybe 2 oz all day. Mom is a nurse and not worried about it. So neither am I.
kidkair 12:02 PM 12-07-2011
She used to self feed though right? This is new behavior right? If I've got those right then I would put food and sippy on her tray and leave her to it. She's being stubborn and trying to not move on to toddlerhood of doing everything for herself. You can either bow to her and help her or you can make it clear she has to grow up and do a little by herself. I'd even turn her slightly away from me so she and I couldn't make eye contact during the meal to prevent me from getting frustrated with her. Now if she's never fed herself it's a whole different issue.
sahm2three 12:15 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
She used to self feed though right? This is new behavior right? If I've got those right then I would put food and sippy on her tray and leave her to it. She's being stubborn and trying to not move on to toddlerhood of doing everything for herself. You can either bow to her and help her or you can make it clear she has to grow up and do a little by herself. I'd even turn her slightly away from me so she and I couldn't make eye contact during the meal to prevent me from getting frustrated with her. Now if she's never fed herself it's a whole different issue.
Yes, she used to feed herself. We have been just putting her food and sippy on her tray but she just throws it all off and then screams. She has just become disruptive during meal times. And bottle times.
Unregistered 12:28 PM 12-07-2011
but to expect that I give her 3 bottles a day in a cup and help her with it each time?? Not going to happen. .
If you cannot provide the care she needs, then it is best to give notice so the parents can find care that is able to meet her needs. Nothing wrong in that.
DCMom 12:42 PM 12-07-2011
Yes, just recently. She turned one in October.

I kept giving her her own sippy that was identical to the other 1-2 year olds here. She eventually got it...she drinks really well out of it now. Even gets mad if I accidentally give her color to someone else, lol.
kidkair 12:50 PM 12-07-2011
Is she getting fed the same thing other kids around her are fed or does she have her own food? I'm thinking maybe she wants what you are giving the 2s and 3s. I'm also thinking if it started after Thanksgiving that she was a bit pampered by family and has got mom and dad in on it too. If it's just this week then maybe she's feeling a bit under the weather and is getting sick. If she's close to 1 maybe she's asserting her independence and wants to continue playing rather than eat or needs a change in her feeding schedule. Maybe she really needs more fresh air and sunlight than she's getting with the cold and solstice approaching. Does she self play or does she demand attention there too?

It's hard to offer advise when I can't know the full story but I suggest you and your assistant talk and devise the routine you want baby to follow with feeding times and follow it regardless as to whether baby eats or not. It could be she's getting too much food at home where she's more comfortably in charge and doesn't need need what you are offering her.

My food routine for food throwers is: Strap them in and place the tray. Give all the other kids food first serving the thrower last. Give the thrower the exact same food as everyone else if possible just cut tinier. The second the thrower throws anything all food and drink is removed and so is the tray. I give the thrower a second try 5 minutes later and a third try if the kid is under 1. If it gets thrown 3 times I assume the child definitely does not want to eat and take it away for good. The kid remains strapped in the chair the whole time and no amount of screaming would make me move the kid from the chair. I have turned the chair toward a window rather than the table before to see if that would ease the screaming.
Heidi 12:59 PM 12-07-2011
But she is drinking NOTHING!!! I have tried every sippy I have. Fine, give her drinks from a regular cup, but to expect that I give her 3 bottles a day in a cup and help her with it each time?? Not going to happen. Like I said, she doesn't even try to help hold the cup or anything.
I would just keep offering it. She will not dehydrate if they are helping her at home. She doesn not need 3 bottles a day, though! I think it's 22oz per day at a year, I looked it up recently. At a year, most kids are eating like the big kids, with the exception of raw vegies or other choking hazards

The open cup thing is used at most Montessori and RIE programs, and the children are taught to pour their own beverages as toddlers. But, you have to do what works for you. I have two cups twirlers (twins) here. Needless to say, I have to watch them like hawks, and no lid would not work for them or their 3yo sister, for that matter. At home, all four children carry sippy cups around the house. What a freakin mess that must be!
sahm2three 01:20 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
I would just keep offering it. She will not dehydrate if they are helping her at home. She doesn not need 3 bottles a day, though! I think it's 22oz per day at a year, I looked it up recently. At a year, most kids are eating like the big kids, with the exception of raw vegies or other choking hazards

The open cup thing is used at most Montessori and RIE programs, and the children are taught to pour their own beverages as toddlers. But, you have to do what works for you. I have two cups twirlers (twins) here. Needless to say, I have to watch them like hawks, and no lid would not work for them or their 3yo sister, for that matter. At home, all four children carry sippy cups around the house. What a freakin mess that must be!
She was my trying breast fed baby I have spoken about. She weaned a few months ago, and has just done EBM since then. The most we have ever been able to get her to drink is 6 oz at a time. That is why she gets 3 bottles a day here. She is here over 10 hours a day.
cheerfuldom 01:23 PM 12-07-2011
I would keep her on a bottle until she was able to use a sippy. No cups here. That basically amounts to one-on-one attention which is not a regular part of our day and having to do that three times a day for prolonged periods would not work for me at all.

I did have one person ask me to feed with a medicine dropper (no medical reason whatsoever)....I have no idea what they were thinking and was so surprised at the request that I started laughing.
Qpmomma 01:57 PM 12-07-2011
My daughter was breastfed and refused to go from breast to bottle or sippy. I was told to either use a spoon, medicine dropper or cup. So she cup trained early. My lactation consultant told me to try it. It's actually not unheard of in breastfeeding circles.
grandmom 02:35 PM 12-07-2011
She won't starve, unless you're dealing with failure to thrive. Doesn't sound like it. Likely, she's just learning how to get the undivided attention from the adults.

This concerns me more.

The only thing I can get her to eat independently is graham crackers.
Never offer graham crackers until she is eating other food. This is a picky eater in the making. IMHO
Tags:bottle to cup, won't drink from cup
Reply Up