Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Switching schedules
MsLaura529 08:20 AM 10-29-2014
Hi guys,

It has been FOREVER since I have visited here. I hope it's ok that I'm back for a quick question

I am thinking of shifting from a Monday-Friday program to a Monday-Thursday program. With DD being in school now, and me missing out on so may opportunities with her, plus just seeming to need that xtra day in the weekend, even just thinking about going to 4 days makes it a bit easier for me to breathe. Has anyone else done this with minimal damage?

2 of my families are 4 day a weekers anyway, it would just be switching their day off to a different day. Another family is 2 days a week (Tues/Thurs). Another family is full-time.

How much notice do you think would be appropriate for doing this?

Thanks for any help!
Crazy8 11:23 AM 10-29-2014
I would give 30 days notice if you can. Do you think you'll lose the full timers? Is that ok with you?

I am actually doing this soon, not really by choice though. I have 2 kids M-Th, 1 Tu&Th and had 2 M-F but they are leaving. I happen to just get a call for a little one M-Th so I am really hoping they are interested because that would alleviate a little of my financial woes while still giving me fridays off for a while. In a perfect world I'd get another part timer or two with no fridays but I'm not holding out just for that - I need the money more than the day off right now.
SignMeUp 11:41 AM 10-29-2014
I have done part time care for many years, and I like it. What happened for me was that Friday was always my least busy day. Eventually I just started telling prospective clients that the space was available M-Th, and I've had Fridays off ever since.

There are some issues that come with offering part-time care, but I would assume you know that already, since you already offer part-time care.

If I have a family who needs Friday because of extraordinary needs, I will do Fridays for them, even on an extended basis. It's a whole different way of doing child care for me, to have only one or two children! I've enjoyed most of the times that I've given up my Fridays.

I would say, if you have a steady stream of prospective clients looking for a space with you, that you can pull it off. It's amazing what people will do when they want their child with you.
Reply Up