Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>DCM Demanding EIN
Unregistered 09:58 AM 02-01-2016
I had a family leave a few weeks ago on not the best terms. DCM just texted demanding me ein. I require the w-10 to be signed before giving out my ein, acknowledging the amount the dcf paid for the year. DCM just went on a rant when I informed her of my policy. Her last text message said I was by far the worst child care provider ever and she will be leaving me a bad review anywhere she can. Well, ok sorry you feel that way. Again let me know when you want to make an appointment to come by.
How would you all have handled that? Was I too harsh? Would you have just given in? I did explain that it is HER responsibility to provide me with a w-10, and I go the extra mile and provide it, but you have to pick it up and sign the receipt portion I write out. Ugh tax time sucks!
craftymissbeth 10:41 AM 02-01-2016
You're not required to fill out a w10 unless they've provided you with one. If she refuses to provide you with one to fill out then she can just add up everything she's paid you... she doesn't need your EIN. The problem with this is that you're having issues with her and she's obviously still angry about the situation. For that reason, I would provide her with a signed w10 with the correct amount to ensure that she doesn't fudge the numbers on her taxes which can come back to bite you later on.

ETA: if she does provide you with one I would require that she provides a self addressed stamped envelope so you can return it if she insists on not picking it up herself.
daycarediva 10:46 AM 02-01-2016
Just this past year I started giving out families their w-10 with a total and having them sign it on their last day of care. I had one child pull without returning, and she was removed from her home by DSS so I have NO CLUE what dcm's plans are, but I am not about to contact her.
Play Care 10:56 AM 02-01-2016
I send each family (current and past) a w-10 in January with my EIN and total paid.

I know I don't have to, but I feel it's good business.

I make copies of all w-10's and keep them for several years. I
guess they could try to commit fraud but I have my paperwork covered.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:34 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a family leave a few weeks ago on not the best terms. DCM just texted demanding me ein. I require the w-10 to be signed before giving out my ein, acknowledging the amount the dcf paid for the year. DCM just went on a rant when I informed her of my policy. Her last text message said I was by far the worst child care provider ever and she will be leaving me a bad review anywhere she can. Well, ok sorry you feel that way. Again let me know when you want to make an appointment to come by.
How would you all have handled that? Was I too harsh? Would you have just given in? I did explain that it is HER responsibility to provide me with a w-10, and I go the extra mile and provide it, but you have to pick it up and sign the receipt portion I write out. Ugh tax time sucks!
Whenever someone DEMANDS something of me, I always drag my feet If they insult me and my business, I would quit responding all together. I think you did what you are suppose to do, so now the ball is in her court. She can either supply the w-10 and bring it or mail it to you, or she can do without. I am so stubborn when it comes to people like that though! She is simply throwing a tantrum because you are not letting her have her way or the last word in your relationship. She thinks she can control you one last time and since she can't, it is making her angry, so I would let it go and see if she actually gives you the w-10. Somehow, I doubt she will
Thriftylady 11:44 AM 02-01-2016
I hope to not have this issue. I require parents to sign their year end receipt. So if they have left on bad terms or whatever and they didn't get it at the end of care provided, then they need to make an appointment to come sign it. I do also worry about them saying I refused to give the info or whatever though. Is refusing to give it until they sign refusing?
Second Home 11:58 AM 02-01-2016
I had 1 dcp who left on bad terms . January rolls around and she called demanding that I give her my ein over the phone . I told her that I would willingly give it to her if she brought me the form . She said the law said you have to give it to me . I replied with "the law says I must give it to you when you bring / give me the w-10 form" . We went round and round and I just kept repeating the same thing . When I asked if she was going to send me a check for the damage they caused to my property which they promised to pay for she hung up .
Laurel 02:27 PM 02-01-2016
You're not required to give her anything...at all. Check on this site. Somewhere Tom Copeland has an article about it. In 20 years I've never given a w-10. I did type up a statement saying how much they paid and gave them my EIN if they asked. Most didn't. I think it is her ultimate responsibility to know how much she paid.
MarinaVanessa 03:52 PM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
You're not required to give her anything...at all. Check on this site. Somewhere Tom Copeland has an article about it. In 20 years I've never given a w-10. I did type up a statement saying how much they paid and gave them my EIN if they asked. Most didn't. I think it is her ultimate responsibility to know how much she paid.
By law if a client or ex client gives you a w-10 you have to fill it out. But only if they give one to you. The W-10 asks that the provider fill out their name, address, TIN (tax identification number which could be either your SSN or EIN), signature and date. Nothing else. If the parent doesn't give you a form then you don't have to give them anything, if they give you a W-10 you have to fill it out.

Here's Tom's article on it ... it comes up a lot. http://tomcopelandblog.com/the-truth...arent-receipts
Reply Up