Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dressed for the weather- VENT
Unregistered 07:53 AM 01-24-2012
Today DCB came over with a onesie, covered by a light sweatshirt. It is 35 degrees outside! Sometimes we go outside to play even when it's cold, but not today!

I wonder what goes on through some people's minds. Mom and dad were dressed warmly with thick coats, hats and gloves when they dropped off today- they didn't think their child deserved the same?

That is all.
Lilbutterflie 08:08 AM 01-24-2012
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Parents have a responsibility to watch the weather and dress their children appropriately. I have only had ONE family that has brought their children prepared for the weather every day!! And I actually thanked the mom last week; I told her how much it helps me when she brings her son appropriately dressed every day.

For this reason, I keep a backup supply of extra jackets and play clothes ranging in sizes. If you don't have a backup jacket for DCB; call the parents & have them bring one for him. You should not have to alter your day and make the other children suffer inside b/c of a parent not bringing the appropriate supplies for their children. Oh, I could go on and on about this b/c it makes me so mad!!
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Parents have a responsibility to watch the weather and dress their children appropriately. I have only had ONE family that has brought their children prepared for the weather every day!! And I actually thanked the mom last week; I told her how much it helps me when she brings her son appropriately dressed every day.

For this reason, I keep a backup supply of extra jackets and play clothes ranging in sizes. If you don't have a backup jacket for DCB; call the parents & have them bring one for him. You should not have to alter your day and make the other children suffer inside b/c of a parent not bringing the appropriate supplies for their children. Oh, I could go on and on about this b/c it makes me so mad!!
I used to do that but too many parents would rely on the fact that I had extra's when really it should be their responsibility to dress their child appropriately. I do a quick-check at drop off now and NO ONE stays if they do not have the right gear.

You are right, other kids shouldn't suffer or lose out on an activity because of another parent but the daycare provider shouldn't have to continually make up for parent's forgetfulness (or laziness in some cases.)
Lilbutterflie 08:26 AM 01-24-2012
Can I also vent about parents who dress them in the WRONG SIZES, too! Ugh... specifically things that are too small. I had one parent who kept allowing their son to wear shoes in which you could see the wear from his toes right next to the rubber of the shoe... they were THAT small on him. I mentioned it to her that the shoes were way too small. She told me that they had other shoes for him, but he kept insisting on wearing the small shoes. Ugh!

Another parent dresses their baby in pants that look like cropped pants or shorts b/c the baby has really long legs. Again, I've mentioned to the parents that the pants look like capris b/c their baby's legs were so long; but the parents just laughed. It's been a mild winter so far... but on the days it gets really cold this poor baby has half of it's legs exposed to the cold! And the baby's winter jacket right now will only reach just past the elbows. I just don't get it.
cheerfuldom 09:03 AM 01-24-2012
dont even get me started. yesterday it was 40 degrees here and my 2 year old had a skirt on that was so short, her diaper was hanging down and clearly visible. she also consistently wears midriff tops. at least she had a coat though.

I HATE when the parents are all bundled up and then drop their kid off in summer shoes, no coat, teeny-tiny clothing that is a pain to get off for diapering.
SandeeAR 09:13 AM 01-24-2012
When I have a baby and we go out, I use an extra pair of my socks (that I don't wear anymore). I simply place it OVER their socks and shoes and pull them up OVER their pants leg. Keeps the baby warm. B/c my babies (non walkers) are always in a walker/exersaucer when outside, this works for me.
Zoe 10:12 AM 01-24-2012
Oh yeah. I get that too. Yesterday my 2 month old dcb came in a short sleeved onsie and thin pants! I changed him out of those immediately.

What really bugs me is when the parents say that it's what the child wanted to wear. Well that's great! But throw a sweatshirt on over that adorable t-shirt! That's what I do with my own kids! It's really not that hard to say no to a child, I don't know why some of these parents are having such a hard time!
littlemissmuffet 10:21 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Today DCB came over with a onesie, covered by a light sweatshirt. It is 35 degrees outside! Sometimes we go outside to play even when it's cold, but not today!

I wonder what goes on through some people's minds. Mom and dad were dressed warmly with thick coats, hats and gloves when they dropped off today- they didn't think their child deserved the same?

That is all.
Send them home with their child to get weather appropriate clothing. It's not fair my entire group and I get stuck inside because ONE parent wasn't thinking. It's also unreasonable to expect ME to provide weather appropriate clothing for YOUR child. Not happening. Send them home once, they will never do it again
Tags:cold weather clothing, enforcing policies - consistency, vent, venting
Reply Up