Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with an Update/Refresh
MsLaura529 06:23 AM 07-24-2014
Hey guys.

I apologize for this being so long.

So, it's been a while since I have posted here last. Also, I know this question has probably been asked and answered a million times, but I need some help getting my thoughts organized - I need help with curriculum.

Last year, I was doing circle time every day, a project, have songs and games planned, etc. The kids loved it. Now? We're lucky if we even do a coloring sheet during the day. I had an infant start in January, which completely threw off the schedule, and my drop-in toddler has started coming more often now. Also, my summer schedule is lighter with one of my DCK's only coming one day a week for the summer. I have been taking this time to enjoy playing outside (especially after the incredibly long and cold winter) and just observing the kids and trying to work with them on playing nicely with friends (a big struggle lately), as well as dealing with an 8 month old infant's needs, and my 18 month old drop-in busy body.

My excuse for becoming so laid back with all of this is that I'm trying to get my curriculum planned and ready for the fall. But really? I haven't done any. My mind is just constantly spinning with ideas (well, going back and forth between spinning with ideas and wanting to find a new job, hah!) and I can't seem to organize them or figure out where I want to go from here. I would LOVE to spend August trying to get at least the first couple of months planned for us to get started within September.

So if you don't mind helping me out, I have a couple questions.

Keeping in mind that come September I will have: DS 3.5, full-time DCG 3.5, full-time DCG 10 months, 4-day-a-week DCG 3.5, 4-day-a-week DCB 2.5, 2-morning-a-week DCG 20 months, and possibly another 2-or-3-day-a-week DCG 2. I also have a DD who will be starting Kindergarten this year.

1) How often do you do circle time? What is it that you cover (or try to) during circle time? What type of materials do you have available for use during circle time?

2) What are some of your/the kids FAVORITE themes to cover?

Thank you for any help!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:38 AM 07-24-2014
I do a circle time in the morning that includes everyone (as much as the babies and toddlers are able/want to). In the afternoons I do a formal preschool curriculum only with my 4/5yo while everyone else naps.

For circle time, it is a daily rotation week to week:

Monday: read the book-of-the-week that ties into preschool (really drag this out with as much convo about the book as possible) with some kind of simple activity or craft that correlates with the book

Tuesday: game day-we play any kind of game together this day

Wednesday: container day-I have just 4 different groups of toys in huge storage containers with lids that come out only at this time (one is Mega Blocks, one is large animals, one is a bunch of plastic car tracks, and the last one is all balls (but I think this one is going to change soon))

Thursday: table activity day-this is when we get out something fun and messy, like play-doh or any other sensory type deal

Friday: this is the only day we watch tv, so we pop in a dvd and chill

Hope this helps! I like having a set schedule of what KIND of thing we do each day, and the kids know what to expect and look forward to it.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:44 AM 07-24-2014
I just want to add that I feel like the point of circle time is to do something ALL TOGETHER, and this is when the play-based education really happens.
CraftyMom 08:29 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I do a circle time in the morning that includes everyone (as much as the babies and toddlers are able/want to). In the afternoons I do a formal preschool curriculum only with my 4/5yo while everyone else naps.

For circle time, it is a daily rotation week to week:

Monday: read the book-of-the-week that ties into preschool (really drag this out with as much convo about the book as possible) with some kind of simple activity or craft that correlates with the book

Tuesday: game day-we play any kind of game together this day

Wednesday: container day-I have just 4 different groups of toys in huge storage containers with lids that come out only at this time (one is Mega Blocks, one is large animals, one is a bunch of plastic car tracks, and the last one is all balls (but I think this one is going to change soon))

Thursday: table activity day-this is when we get out something fun and messy, like play-doh or any other sensory type deal

Friday: this is the only day we watch tv, so we pop in a dvd and chill

Hope this helps! I like having a set schedule of what KIND of thing we do each day, and the kids know what to expect and look forward to it.
I like this

I like the idea of a certain activity on which day instead of do-what-you-want

I do this somewhat, but it isn't restricted to certain days. I think I'll try this!
Reply Up