Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd
Josiegirl 04:19 PM 12-15-2014
I just received an email from a dcm of mine. They were FT but went to PT when her dh lost his job in late spring. Her dd comes 2 days a week and it works out nicely because I have another dcf that uses the other 3 days. The dcm said her dh has a lead on a job and asked if I'd have room for her dd FT again. They've both been here about the same length of time. The 3 day a week dcg doesn't come during the summers and will be starting preschool next year.
I'm kind of in a quandary about what to do because I really don't want to lose anyone; they're all wonderful families and right now I have an amazing group of kids.
I have another dcg who will be leaving for K next year and won't be here this summer. Right now she only comes about 12-15 hrs. a week and pays $80 instead of FT rate of $105. I'd hate to kick her out too.
I've told dcm that I'm not sure if I'd have a FT spot for dcg and left it at that.
Other than the dcks I've mentioned I also have 4 FT dcgs.

Seeing it from another perspective might help me. So if you've understood me so far, can you see an answer in there somewhere?
AuntTami 04:30 PM 12-15-2014
How old is the DD?

I would probably choose the 4 yo DCG DCG(provided DD is younger than her) who comes just a few hours per week, based on the fact that she'll really only be with you for another 5-6 months since she doesn't come in summer and she's leaving for Kindy in the fall and DD probably has more time left.

DCG2 will leave in May and free up a spot though, so you'll have to look again for another kiddo for that spot.

However, why did dad lose his job? Was he fired for something HE did, or was the company down-sizing or something? If HE did something wrong(quit on the spot, was absent too many times etc) then I would keep DCG and tell mom that you don't have room for DD. I would worry that if he did those things and got fired from his last job, that he would do them again and get fired from this job, and then they'd have to go back to PT again in future...
daycare 04:31 PM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I just received an email from a dcm of mine. They were FT but went to PT when her dh lost his job in late spring. Her dd comes 2 days a week and it works out nicely because I have another dcf that uses the other 3 days. The dcm said her dh has a lead on a job and asked if I'd have room for her dd FT again. They've both been here about the same length of time. The 3 day a week dcg doesn't come during the summers and will be starting preschool next year.
I'm kind of in a quandary about what to do because I really don't want to lose anyone; they're all wonderful families and right now I have an amazing group of kids.
I have another dcg who will be leaving for K next year and won't be here this summer. Right now she only comes about 12-15 hrs. a week and pays $80 instead of FT rate of $105. I'd hate to kick her out too.
I've told dcm that I'm not sure if I'd have a FT spot for dcg and left it at that.
Other than the dcks I've mentioned I also have 4 FT dcgs.

Seeing it from another perspective might help me. So if you've understood me so far, can you see an answer in there somewhere?
I guess the only thing you can do is let someone go...Either one that is going to be leaving soon anyways or the family needing more days.

If it were me I would cut ties with the person that I knew was leaving, but let the family know that you are going to require a 6month commitment, because you will need to let another family go in order to make space for DCG FT.

I had a family that did the PT-DT swap a few times, then wanted to go back to full time and I was in your dilemma. I said the only way I will do it , is if they were willing to make a commitment to at least 6month FT contract and I would not be willing to go back to PT at any time during those 6 months. They did agree to it and ended up staying through out the year.

I eventually let them go when they requested to go PT again. It was too costly for me to keep juggling them around.

do you think that they would sign a 6month contract?
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 12-16-2014
The dad works in construction and was downsized. I know the only option is to let someone go if I allowed this dcg to come back full time. As far as committing to a 6 month agreement, I'm not sure about that but it would be a good idea, especially in a case like this.
I have 2 that will be leaving when school's out because one of them will be going to preschool and they will no longer need me, the other is the $80 a week dcg; both of their parents are teachers. If I let the $80 a week dcg go now I'd actually be losing money.
I'll have to see if possibly the dcf could find care 3 days a week until school gets out then go to FT.
*sigh* I hate situations like this. Ya love everybody and feel like one big happy family but then you have to make these kinds of choices.

Thank you for helping me think this through.
CraftyMom 05:08 AM 12-16-2014
If it were me I might talk to the mom first and see if she can make other arrangements for those 3 days. Let her know that you have a spot opening when school is out and you don't want to have that family look for new care for only a few months.

Then if she can not make the arrangements, then considering letting go of one of the others. I wouldn't want to lose a good family and lose money at the same time.

Plus, it's just a lead, dad doesn't have the job yet
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:16 AM 12-16-2014
I agree with Crafty. It would be a rotten thing for a kid to have to go to a new daycare for just a few months, and probably hard for the parents to find another provider when it would be so short-term. Personally, I wouldn't feel right booting anyone out because a FT went PT (which I had already graciously accommodated) and wants to go FT again.

If it were me, I would just tell the DCF that I wouldn't be able to offer a FT spot until May, and then they can either make their own arrangements for the other days and wait for that FT spot, or find another daycare. I wouldn't change things up for them again, especially if he's in construction. That's seems to be a really iffy FT profession.

I won't do any PT anymore. It was way too difficult to coordinate schedules, and all I could see was the lost potential income of having all FTs. All my clients (now) pay my FT rate, and all of the days and hours are there for them to use or not. The last one I enrolled, I even told them flat out, "Do not tell me if you will be using childcare, but not working. With cell phones, I don't need to know, and I'd rather not know." Then .
VTMom 07:47 AM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
If it were me I might talk to the mom first and see if she can make other arrangements for those 3 days. Let her know that you have a spot opening when school is out and you don't want to have that family look for new care for only a few months.

Then if she can not make the arrangements, then considering letting go of one of the others. I wouldn't want to lose a good family and lose money at the same time.

Plus, it's just a lead, dad doesn't have the job yet
This is what I would do as well. I would also give her a specific date that full time care could begin and add that if circumstances change and an opening becomes available before that, she will be offered the spot first.
holly333 08:05 AM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I agree with Crafty. It would be a rotten thing for a kid to have to go to a new daycare for just a few months, and probably hard for the parents to find another provider when it would be so short-term. Personally, I wouldn't feel right booting anyone out because a FT went PT (which I had already graciously accommodated) and wants to go FT again.

If it were me, I would just tell the DCF that I wouldn't be able to offer a FT spot until May, and then they can either make their own arrangements for the other days and wait for that FT spot, or find another daycare. I wouldn't change things up for them again, especially if he's in construction. That's seems to be a really iffy FT profession.

I won't do any PT anymore. It was way too difficult to coordinate schedules, and all I could see was the lost potential income of having all FTs. All my clients (now) pay my FT rate, and all of the days and hours are there for them to use or not. The last one I enrolled, I even told them flat out, "Do not tell me if you will be using childcare, but not working. With cell phones, I don't need to know, and I'd rather not know." Then .
Agree, think this is your best option
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 12-19-2014
I did end up telling dcm I won't have any FT spots until school gets out. I talked with her today and her dh did get the job. AND they will figure something out until I can take her back FT!! I am SO glad! I love this lil girl and her family is awesome! Dcm said they didn't want to switch dd and wants to keep her with me so they're willing to wait. Good good news!
Happy Friday!
Reply Up