Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You Store Your Shovels?
mommiebookworm 01:26 PM 12-08-2016
I had an inspection, and was told that my snow shovel needs to be out of the reach of the children. She suggested I hang it on the side of the house with the handle down and the head up. I can just picture someone pulling it off of there and getting hit with the shovel in the head!

That seems more dangerous to me than leaning it against the house on the porch. Any other suggestions?
DaveA 01:43 PM 12-08-2016
this is their big issue? Jeez

Mine are on a hook in the garage. Honestly otherwise short of a cabinet or high shelf I'm at a loss.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 12-08-2016
Originally Posted by mommiebookworm:
I had an inspection, and was told that my snow shovel needs to be out of the reach of the children. She suggested I hang it on the side of the house with the handle down and the head up. I can just picture someone pulling it off of there and getting hit with the shovel in the head!

That seems more dangerous to me than leaning it against the house on the porch. Any other suggestions?
Mine is kept on my porch. Leaned up against the railing.

As far as I am concerned it IS out of reach of the children because children are never on my front porch without an adult.
mommiebookworm 04:10 PM 12-08-2016
Honestly, I think I'll just throw them in the back of hubby's truck! Out of sight at least.
Pepperth 03:21 AM 12-09-2016
Mine are hanging in the garage, except for a plastic one I keep on the deck for quick cleanup. I'm with you though. I'd think it more dangerous for the shovel to fall down and hit somebody.
Blackcat31 05:22 AM 12-09-2016
Honestly, I think I'll just throw them in the back of hubby's truck! Out of sight at least.
I mentioned this to my husband last night and he brought up a good point.... don't you have kid shovels for the kids?

Why can the kids have access to them but not yours?

I can totally see if you have the type that has a metal edge (sharp) or a metal shovel (heavy) but if you have the regular old plastic sidewalk shovels, they aren't much different than the ones I buy FOR the kids.

I have this for shoveling my sidewalk:

And a half dozen of these for the kids:

Other than height, there isn't much difference between the two.
Josiegirl 09:34 AM 12-09-2016
I have mine right by the road in case a dcp is feeling helpful. lol JK It's only happened once in all my 30+ yrs. of providing care, that I had any dcp offer to shovel anything for me. Even the dcds who picked up with plows on their trucks.
Anyways, I'll wait for the state to tell me to move it but mine is right outside my front door. Never even gave it a thought.
mommiebookworm 11:12 AM 12-10-2016
I have a plastic one and a metal edged one. For the kids i have two plastic ones. I think i will ask her about the plastic one, its basically the same as what the kids play with.

I just wish we had a garage! Someday hopefully! After we pay off some debt, we plan on building a garage.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I mentioned this to my husband last night and he brought up a good point.... don't you have kid shovels for the kids?

Why can the kids have access to them but not yours?

I can totally see if you have the type that has a metal edge (sharp) or a metal shovel (heavy) but if you have the regular old plastic sidewalk shovels, they aren't much different than the ones I buy FOR the kids.

I have this for shoveling my sidewalk:

And a half dozen of these for the kids:

Other than height, there isn't much difference between the two.

Ariana 09:46 AM 12-12-2016
I use the kid shovels to shovel. It sounds weird but I find them easier to handle! I keep a kid shovel leaning against my house.
laundrymom 10:49 AM 12-12-2016
Did you ask to see the reg?

mommiebookworm 11:53 AM 12-12-2016
laundrymom- I didn't ask to see the reg.
But, it does state in part of the regs that "Outdoor play spaces, including areas under decks must be free from safety hazards including, but not limited to:lawn mowers, TOOLS, propane, gasoline, building scraps and scrap metal."
AmyKidsCo 12:35 PM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Mine is kept on my porch. Leaned up against the railing.

As far as I am concerned it IS out of reach of the children because children are never on my front porch without an adult.
Mine too.

Did she show you that rule in the regulations?
mommiebookworm 03:58 PM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Mine too.

Did she show you that rule in the regulations?
She didn't, but it does state in the regs that no tools can be in outdoor play spaces, including under a deck. So i need to clarify if the front porch is considered a play space.
AmyKidsCo 05:35 PM 12-12-2016
Ahhh....A nice ambiguous rule open to individual interpretation.

Apparently "no tools" means no adult tools - they can have shovels in the sandbox, right? Probably no adult trowels or hand cultivators to garden with, because heaven knows that children can't be taught how to use a tool safely with supervision.
Blackcat31 06:13 PM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Ahhh....A nice ambiguous rule open to individual interpretation.

Apparently "no tools" means no adult tools - they can have shovels in the sandbox, right? Probably no adult trowels or hand cultivators to garden with, because heaven knows that children can't be taught how to use a tool safely with supervision.
. All I buy for sandbox toys are garden trowels and rakes because they're durable and good quality.
Never had any issues.
Tags:shovels, snow shovel
Reply Up