Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Early Arrival
newtodaycare22 09:04 AM 02-08-2011
I've been open since August and today was the first time I dealt with the issue of having a kid arrive early. (From what I hear from some of you....I guess that's a pretty good luck streak )

I open at 7 and I love my sleep. Usually, I get up at 640, brush teeth, shower, and throw on my clothes. I am ready at 7 on the dot ( I usually don't have kids till 7:15 though.

Today, I was exhausted. I woke up 6:40, brushed my teeth, and went back to bed for ten more minutes. I was literally sitting up at 6:50 and the doorbell rang. I SPRANG out of bed and looked outside. It was a girl who is never one of the earliest, but she has someone new bringing her lately because mom just had a baby.

Anyway, I threw on some jeans, put a zip up vest over my pj shirt (couldn't tell it was pjs haha) and went to let them in. It's still dark out (including my porch), so the guy was like "Oh, is it too early??" I was like well yes, I open at 7:00. My lights in my house aren't even on!!!

Ay ay ay. He apologized and said he had an early dentist appointment. If he just told me that yesterday, I would have gladly been ready 10 minutes early.

What a way to start the day.

Hopefully this isn't TMI, but I didnt' even throw on a bra so I waited for DH to come out in the living room and watch the girl while I ran in to get one. hahaha
jojosmommy 10:10 AM 02-08-2011
I have a rule that if my front (outside) light is on you can come in/ring bell. All my parents know it and abide by it. I have never had an issue with anyone different dropping off early though. I have had close calls where I havent been "as ready" as I would like to be. And I doubt that person even noticed the no bra issue.
Little People 10:18 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I have a rule that if my front (outside) light is on you can come in/ring bell. All my parents know it and abide by it. I have never had an issue with anyone different dropping off early though. I have had close calls where I havent been "as ready" as I would like to be. And I doubt that person even noticed the no bra issue.
I don't have any early dck's right now, but I will remember this! Good suggestion!!
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 02-08-2011
I have issues with early drop offs but I don't live at my daycare house so when I come in early to do a bit of shoveling or to bring groceries and put them away, start the coffee pot etc, I have one family in particular that will come atleast 10-15 minutes early. I open at 7:00 a.m. The dcg actually told me one day that her and dcm will drive around until they see my vehicle and then come. I have had talks with mom about it and she just says that she likes to get to work and have a bit of coffee and read the paper before jumping into her work (like I am not trying to do that myself??!?) ...and the kicker is her office doesn't open until 8:30 so I dunno what their deal is. She drops off at 7:00 and her kids get picke dup at 5:30 on the dot when I close. Dcm works 8:30-4:30 and dcd works 9-5.

Now, after I have said something to them about early drop offs, they just sit in their car in my driveway!!!!! Which is irritating but atleast they aren't coming in until I am actually open.

I don't do the porch light on and off thing because my light is one of those automatic dusk til dawn lights and it comes on at dark and goes off at sunrise. I am glad they are observing my open times, but I wish they would sit in their car at their own house until it is time...
Abigail 08:53 PM 02-08-2011
Newtodaycare22, Did you give the person a warning since this was the first time? If it happens again $1 per minute early unless otherwise arranged and agreed upon!

If you have someone new dropping off and picking up, do you require them to sign a contract or just nail the parents with the fees saying "so-and-so" had their early drop-off warning and now these are the fees due. OR do you just notify the parents that you informed this new person about the hours and don't let it happen again please. LOL
Tags:early arrival, late fee
Reply Up