Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>early drop off this morning
Creek 05:12 AM 06-07-2012
My best family just dropped their kids off early this morning. They were knocking at the door and I couldn't believe it was them. I would normally not have even answered the door as they were arriving before I was even open but they kept knocking at the door. They are on a new schedule now at work, so I knew it would be a work in progress, but I never contemplated early I guess.

I have a $5 fee for the first 5 minutes and $1 a minute thereafter for early drop offs and late pick ups. So he gets in with the kids and looks in his wallet, since this was their very first time doing this I said 'don't worry about it today' and he was surprised and said "oh, I'm looking for something for myself" ... OH! I was just taken a back, this is so not characteristic of this family. I really love this family! I guess it even made me sad that he would neglect my policies. I sent out a reminder email with the parent handbook early drop offs and late pick ups piece, and I said it nicely. I don't want it to come across as anything but nice, as I said, I really do love this family, I was just a little shocked at first.

Ok, even as I write this I got an email from him appologizing for being a few minutes early. That makes me feel better.

*sigh*

I hate confrontation, especially with people I like, lol
I hope they're ok with the reminder, as it really was just that.
momofboys 06:00 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:
My best family just dropped their kids off early this morning. They were knocking at the door and I couldn't believe it was them. I would normally not have even answered the door as they were arriving before I was even open but they kept knocking at the door. They are on a new schedule now at work, so I knew it would be a work in progress, but I never contemplated early I guess.

I have a $5 fee for the first 5 minutes and $1 a minute thereafter for early drop offs and late pick ups. So he gets in with the kids and looks in his wallet, since this was their very first time doing this I said 'don't worry about it today' and he was surprised and said "oh, I'm looking for something for myself" ... OH! I was just taken a back, this is so not characteristic of this family. I really love this family! I guess it even made me sad that he would neglect my policies. I sent out a reminder email with the parent handbook early drop offs and late pick ups piece, and I said it nicely. I don't want it to come across as anything but nice, as I said, I really do love this family, I was just a little shocked at first.

Ok, even as I write this I got an email from him appologizing for being a few minutes early. That makes me feel better.

*sigh*

I hate confrontation, especially with people I like, lol
I hope they're ok with the reminder, as it really was just that.
Like them or not you will start to resent it if they think they will get freebies from you. Remind them at pick-up that you are doing them a favor by not charging them an early drop-off fee but that from now on any additional time is at a fee! I find it rude that the dad said he was looking for something for himself & didn't acknowledge that he owed you something for being early.
DaisyMamma 06:10 AM 06-07-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Like them or not you will start to resent it if they think they will get freebies from you. Remind them at pick-up that you are doing them a favor by not charging them an early drop-off fee but that from now on any additional time is at a fee! I find it rude that the dad said he was looking for something for himself & didn't acknowledge that he owed you something for being early.
Yes, do remind them, nicely, of course. If you don't stress it then they will continue to think they can do it.
I would've been so shocked that he said he was looking for something.
Reply Up